Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 07:44 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,480,331 times

Advertisements

You obvioisly do not live in pueblo as you googled what he did but not the why. He is setting up his new adminstrtration nothing no other adminstration does from mayor to governor to president. But this is the first time since the 1950’s in Pueblo so its all new. I can get into the why he picked 2 but the long and short of it is he had to pick a depty mayor then could pick a chief of staff who will do the day to day operations. The way i look at it, and i could be wrong, is the chief of staff is like the guy Michael J. Fox played in Spin City and every strong mayor has one. Keep in mind only 3 cities in Colorado have a strong mayor (Denver, Colorado Springs and Pueblo) in my opinion the top 3 metros of the state.

Why does city council consider their own council? They are worried the current city attourney works for the mayor and not them. So they wonder if they need their own or if the single attourney can give advise to both if problems come up. The mayor is not at his old job anymore. Remember this is new for Pueblo so we are going through a learning process on how things will change and how some will not.

At the end of his term will he be considered a good mayor? Way too early to know. Will he run for a second term? Idk.

To be honot my goal is to be mayor by 2030 as I think I could do a lot of good work for Pueblo but did not want to be part of the first group running plus my life is crazy now with work and family life so i do not have time. By 2030 i will be in the next phase of my life and mayor should fit in nicely. But any journey never goes exactly as planned so i will wait and see where mine takes me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 08:24 AM

“Any "big projects that failed" for lack of leadership / coordination been actively re-opened and making significant progress?“

Not sure they can at this point. If they can I hope he does but if not I hope he gets new ones.

I am convinced at somepoint this century Pueblo will grow and by 2100 will be one of the larger cities/ metros of the state. Geography makes that seem likely the queston is when will the growth hit us? That i do not know.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:43 AM

8,506 posts, read 8,818,868 times
Thanks for the replies.

No I don't live in Pueblo. But I have considered it off and on and have these thoughts & concerns even beyond that as someone with a fair amount of knowledge & experience with local & state government & politics and concern about good, effective government.

I commend your involvement and commitment to your hometown and willingness to consider elected office to aid it. It is important to have believers and workers with skills & expertise. As you have the time & energy, do what you do best. But I also urge you to be open & honest about Pueblo's issues and help the community to do better with issues with crime and existing and potential new issues with government organization and operation. Your town needs You. Take or leave my thoughts as you see fit but I wrote them largely for your consideration. (And any other citizen of Pueblo.)

Talking about reform and leadership on the campaign trail is the easy part. Doing it and doing it right is harder. Those that ask for the responsibility need to be watched, held to high standards and show results. Often folks with good intentions fall short or become problems to some degree.

The current Mayor may do well. But he is on the clock and should be both helped and scrutinized. Praised when appropriate.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-21-2019 at 09:22 AM..

Old 03-21-2019, 10:08 AM

232 posts, read 302,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
My comment about me living all over was directed to locals not accepting outsiders. I have not noticed it and love people moving in to the city as they bring new ideas. However living all over has influenced that as i have seen different ways to improve a city and how new residents can help a city prosper.

I would like to see the mayor get Pueblo past the stagnate growth we have and return the county to 30% to 50% growth per decade. I think one way to do that is allowing large projects to happen like the big one last year that included a minor leauge baseball stadium.
"I've lived all over.":
fair enough but have you ever heard a new hire say?: "I'm over-qualified for this job." Say that and your time is definitely shortened, trust me. That is what your comment sounded like. Years ago in an orientation (new SW city I moved to) the speaker stood up and said: "We're glad you are here and bring your training and experience...but don't try to change us." Today one has to make the best of whatever situation they find themselves in: NO longevity anymore...especially SENIOR longevity.

"a new stadium?" Have you read/heard that sports is a luxury now and the only people supporting same are people with money, IE the NFL (or Not For Long..haha) in larger cities? It's presumed that sports upgrade the economy in any city but for who? Personally I like soccer and I believe baseball to be boring. IMO soccer wins especially for our Latino residents. They support it!

For me I would love to see an upgraded "Pueblo Transit"...the future of many cities of any size. You said once Mr Josseppie many posts long ago here: "I took the bus once and that was it." When you made that comment you revealed what 'camp' you belong to. That's ok. Have you ever thought what would happen to the "fast-food" business in Pueblo if the bus disappeared? There have been nights and weekends that I wished I could get dntn or see a movie late but the buses here stop around 5:30pm daily and are nonexistent on Sundays. It is assumed that people who ride the bus are homeless, indigent or otherwise. Wrong. Some people who ride the bus ALSO have money too...and THAT my friend translates to a greater economy for all.

Much talk here about the new mayor. Well as one informed person said to me: "It's a new experience (ie, 1st term mayor) for Pueblo BUT if he doesn't do his job then we vote him out at term end." One thing people do here in Pueblo is vote. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:48 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,946,041 times
I believe Pueblo could be better administered if they became a vassal of Colorado Springs.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:28 AM

City / county merger has been tried in some areas. I'd say for the good where I was raised. I also helped merge the city and county planning departments in the place I went to college and participated in local politics for my early adult years.

I'd be for some county / county mergers, though it seems very unlikely.

I was heavily involved in public transit issues at several times of my life & career. I don't know about Pueblo's efforts there but agree that is an element of a working community that needs support.

Last edited by NW Crow; 03-21-2019 at 12:02 PM..

Old 03-21-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyp1 View Post

"a new stadium?" Have you read/heard that sports is a luxury now and the only people supporting same are people with money, IE the NFL (or Not For Long..haha) in larger cities? It's presumed that sports upgrade the economy in any city but for who? Personally I like soccer and I believe baseball to be boring. IMO soccer wins especially for our Latino residents. They support it!

For me I would love to see an upgraded "Pueblo Transit"...the future of many cities of any size. You said once Mr Josseppie many posts long ago here: "I took the bus once and that was it." When you made that comment you revealed what 'camp' you belong to. That's ok. Have you ever thought what would happen to the "fast-food" business in Pueblo if the bus disappeared? There have been nights and weekends that I wished I could get dntn or see a movie late but the buses here stop around 5:30pm daily and are nonexistent on Sundays. It is assumed that people who ride the bus are homeless, indigent or otherwise. Wrong. Some people who ride the bus ALSO have money too...and THAT my friend translates to a greater economy for all.

Much talk here about the new mayor. Well as one informed person said to me: "It's a new experience (ie, 1st term mayor) for Pueblo BUT if he doesn't do his job then we vote him out at term end." One thing people do here in Pueblo is vote. Thanks.
It was more then a stadium. First off it was a multi use stadium in downtown that we need. Then 3 hotels and baseball tournaments all summer with families, coaches and refs staying and soending money in pueblo. Then a bigger pbr school that would of included baseball. In total over 1,000 primary jobs and more secondary jobs plus millions in new revenue to help pay for things like better transit.

Last edited by Josseppie; 03-21-2019 at 02:52 PM..

Old 03-22-2019, 08:33 AM

232 posts, read 302,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I believe Pueblo could be better administered if they became a vassal of Colorado Springs.
Who says we aren't now? Annexation? Pretty difficult given our 40mi separation. Lite rail or train would be a good solution? If you can't find it in Pueblo you go to the Springs. I just go online: what has absorbed Sears and KMart and the entire country except WalMart and Target (Tar-Jay better watch their back).

Old 03-23-2019, 07:15 AM

Here is a radio interview with the mayor of Pueblo from KRDO Radio.

The key takeaways i got:

1) Minor League baseball teams are looking to move to Pueblo. The mayor wants a better deal then we had last year.

2) The steel mill expansion should happen and will be a huge deal.

All in all the 2020’s should see huge economic growth in Pueblo..

https://www.krdo.com/radio

Old 03-24-2019, 04:34 PM

Looked and looked for a direct link to that interview. Haven't find one yet. Not thru the general website, its search tool or Google. Any help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado