Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 12:07 AM

4 posts, read 15,680 times

Advertisements

Like the 50 million other people who want to move to the mountains, I am looking for a town that would fit my needs. I have read tons of your helpful posts on this site and have learned a lot. But can't seem to narrow it down enough to plan my scouting trip.

I am looking for a place my kids can go to a public school that isn't ginormous (several hundred per grade is ginormous to me). A school that's big enough to offer football, volleyball and basketball, and either school or club soccer. I do not want my kids to grow up exclusively among the wealthy, which is what it sounds like all these mountain towns have come to.

I really, really don't care about shopping, restaurants, and entertainment.
Of course I'd like a little land with a little (not a mc mansion!) house at the edge of town, again, just like everyone else.

I am looking at Durango, maybe southern Idaho.....Utah???
Sorry for the lengthy post.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice you have!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2009, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 15,680 times
Default If not Colorado, where?

Thanks. Yes, I get it. I understand people's frustrations with the huge population influx that has been going on for so long.

I guess I was hoping that since I wasn't asking for the shopping and restaurants, or even a certain size, that someone would have a suggestion of some community, maybe not even in Colorado that would work.

What about Pocatello, ID, Logan, UT, or Los Alamos, NM? Anyone have comments on what those places are like?

Thanks.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBound72 View Post
Like the 50 million other people who want to move to the mountains, I am looking for a town that would fit my needs. I have read tons of your helpful posts on this site and have learned a lot. But can't seem to narrow it down enough to plan my scouting trip.

I am looking for a place my kids can go to a public school that isn't ginormous (several hundred per grade is ginormous to me). A school that's big enough to offer football, volleyball and basketball, and either school or club soccer. I do not want my kids to grow up exclusively among the wealthy, which is what it sounds like all these mountain towns have come to.

Of course I'd like a little land with a little (not a mc mansion!) house at the edge of town, again, just like everyone else.

You have a pretty good handle on the situation in Colorado. There are people in these mtn towns who do normal jobs such as work for the phone company and health care providers, but the vast majority of people living in the most mountain towns are fairly wealthy. I am not talking about Evergreen (though it's a fairly well of burb) and other close-in mtn towns, where people mostly work in the metro area. Nederland, west of Boulder, might work for you. The schools are small, but they are part of the Boulder Valley SD, so they have more resources than an isolated district.

I know less abt the mtn towns in southern/western CO. I've only been to Buena Vista once, it looks like a thriving place, but I have no idea what people do there for a living. Durango has a college, as does Gunnison; my guess is they are major employers in those cities.

Old 11-26-2009, 08:08 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,263,395 times
I wouldn't recommend Durango for you. The economy is largely tourism based and has many second home owners, which generally means housing is expensive relative to local incomes. I don't know if there's anywhere left in the Mountain West for you as it's pretty much all been carved up by the boomers looking for exactly what you are and then adding on as their wealth increased. You might take a look at somewhere in the Uinta or Wasatch mountains of Utah. Probably best to try places far away from either a big city or a ski resort.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:54 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
Mountain Bound, do you need to work? That's the big problem if you are looking to move in the next year or so. The economy sucks and a lot of work has dried up.

Mountain towns I'd suggest looking at would be Paonia and Buena Vista/Salida. Others not really "mountain towns" would be Cedaredge and maybe Montrose. Gunnison?

Old 11-27-2009, 07:43 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,471,204 times
Woodland Park?

Old 11-27-2009, 12:38 PM

108 posts, read 389,824 times
Durango is ok if you can find a job, not many people are hiring right now. Like most mountain towns, there are two main types of people that live here. The ones that work multiple jobs just to live here, and then the wealthy with their second homes. There are in-between people of course, I am one. Hubby and I are natives who were fortunate enough to get into a niche industry that is doing quite well weathering the current economy, but there aren't that many of us.

The biggest employer in the area is the hospital I believe, I do know a fair amount of people employed by FLC, natural gas companies are up there as well. BP has a plant out by the airport and Farmington has a number of them. Jobs are scarse no matter what the field though. Tourism is down, the city is having to make large budget cuts because of it. Same story as in most places.

The schools are smaller, at least in the younger grades. There are 3 in town elem and 4 out of town. Those feed into 2 middle schools and only one high school. There are two new charter high schools that opened up this year and talks about a middle school in a couple years. The schools offer the sports you were talking about.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:55 PM

608 posts, read 924,100 times
Try Casper Wyoming of Rapid City, SD

Old 11-27-2009, 01:51 PM

26,220 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBound72 View Post

Buena Vista, Salida, Rye, Canon City all might work for you although you may have to give up one item on your wish list to get all the others, hard for any town to fit everyone's wish list, though yours is far more reasonable than many I've seen.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-27-2009, 04:42 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,880,620 times
Well Ridgway does...now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado