Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2021, 08:42 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Most of the retirees coming to SC are politically/fiscally conservative but socially liberal and that liberalism is the biggest changes they are making in SC.
Very true. A big chunk of them fall into the ideologically libertarian camp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 02:35 PM

12,924 posts, read 18,770,297 times
Mayor Steve Benjamin and Columbia GOP State Rep. Kirkman Finlay are at each other’s throats again. Benjamin says it’s insulting that Charleston and Greenville got their full funding requests for projects while Columbia got less than half the money it requested for its convention center expansion. Finlay is saying Columbia failed to sell the committee on its project as a business proposal while the other cities came prepared. It’s in The Post and Courier.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:47 PM

403 posts, read 234,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
Mayor Steve Benjamin and Columbia GOP State Rep. Kirkman Finlay are at each other’s throats again. Benjamin says it’s insulting that Charleston and Greenville got their full funding requests for projects while Columbia got less than half the money it requested for its convention center expansion. Finlay is saying Columbia failed to sell the committee on its project as a business proposal while the other cities came prepared. It’s in The Post and Courier.
Looks like the article has been deleted currently

Old 06-18-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
Looks like the article has been deleted currently
Sure enough. It’s gone. Maybe it has already been remedied.

Old 06-18-2021, 07:08 PM

It’s back with an updated version.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
I don't buy what Finlay is saying at all. You can believe legislators from other cities went to bat for their hometowns because they knew the importance of the funding for those projects. Why is Finlay acting like he knows nothing about the desired expansion of the convention center and why it's important? Even Sumter got their full $15M for its opera house and there's no way in heck he can convince any reasonable person that the opera house getting its full funding request was justified but Columbia not getting the full $19M requested for the convention center expansion wasn't. Smh...

Old 06-24-2021, 03:30 AM

757 posts, read 568,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I don't buy what Finlay is saying at all. You can believe legislators from other cities went to bat for their hometowns because they knew the importance of the funding for those projects. Why is Finlay acting like he knows nothing about the desired expansion of the convention center and why it's important? Even Sumter got their full $15M for its opera house and there's no way in heck he can convince any reasonable person that the opera house getting its full funding request was justified but Columbia not getting the full $19M requested for the convention center expansion wasn't. Smh...
Crazy, right? Why does Sumter even have an opera house? I don't think South Carolina needs one, but if it did it should be in one of the major cities. It looks like it's a legacy that's been around for a while, but strange that it still exists in spite of Sumter not being a destination. Here it is if you're curious:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9210...7i16384!8i8192

I wonder how much Finlay's obstinence is a product of his district. He covers Forest Acres, which is its own municipality and seems to feel a sense of independence from the city (just my observation). His district is entirely surrounded by Democratic house districts, which I'm sure adds pressure. Perhaps he's grandstanding to satisfy his base?

Old 06-24-2021, 06:00 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Crazy, right? Why does Sumter even have an opera house? I don't think South Carolina needs one, but if it did it should be in one of the major cities. It looks like it's a legacy that's been around for a while, but strange that it still exists in spite of Sumter not being a destination.
I think it might have been "a thing" back in the day!

Newberry also has an opera house that opened in 1881, Sumter's opened in 1893.

I'm sure at the end of the late 1800s/early 1900s many little towns in South Carolina might have built opera houses, many of which might no longer exist.

Abbeville (1904) and Marion (1892), also have opera houses in South Carolina that are still standing.

Old 06-24-2021, 07:44 AM

They weren’t considered little towns back then. They were booming.

Old 06-24-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Crazy, right? Why does Sumter even have an opera house? I don't think South Carolina needs one, but if it did it should be in one of the major cities. It looks like it's a legacy that's been around for a while, but strange that it still exists in spite of Sumter not being a destination. Here it is if you're curious:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9210...7i16384!8i8192

I wonder how much Finlay's obstinence is a product of his district. He covers Forest Acres, which is its own municipality and seems to feel a sense of independence from the city (just my observation). His district is entirely surrounded by Democratic house districts, which I'm sure adds pressure. Perhaps he's grandstanding to satisfy his base?
He's definitely pandering but it only hurts the region as a whole. And to think he's the offspring of one of the city's most respected and consequential mayors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area