Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2013, 09:14 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goeffrey View Post
I am kind of surprised some blacks and activists groups have not protested Clemson for Tillman hall, considering this dude is like a Super Racist. Guess they more focused on guys like Ted Cruz. LOL
There was a small movement like this at my alma mater, Winthrop, where the central building of campus is also named after Tillman. Didn't gain much traction though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 10:29 PM

2,130 posts, read 2,271,627 times
Quote:
Ben Pitchfork Tillman was a liberal Democrat.

I don't think he went to Clemson, he did help get it started but he also helped with Wofford. Given he was governor and then senator not sure how you can associate him with Clemson solely.

Given USC's new fitness center is called the Strom Thurmond Wellness Center, it is hilarious they want to talk about Tillman. A lot of these racist SC politicians have their names all over the various universities in the state so trying to call out one university is hilarious.
Benjamin Tillman was a notorious, avid racist. 150 or so years later, his reputation still precedes him. Since he was governor and senator, then surely his name must adorn a building on USC's campus? Strom served as senator for 48 years- that precedes his name, which is why his name is plastered on building on every high school or college/university campus in this state. Both were racist, but I'm not buying into the "every racist politician has their name all over various universities in the state.." Not good 'ol "Pitchfork" Tillman, I assure you.

And might I add, Strom Thurmond- or any racist politician did not establish the University of South Carolina. A bunch of wine drinking and croissant eating elitists did haha

Old 10-02-2013, 05:33 AM

206 posts, read 223,549 times
ok, well you didn't go to Clemson so it is really none of your business. I'm not sure why you have to tell me he was a racist, I think that is pretty obvious. I think I've figured out he's a racist and I even called him that. Pretty sure nobody knows who Tillman was at Clemson. Just a name of a building to those college students. He did help start the college. A racist can do some good things too.

Strom Thurmond's name is on the fitness center at USC. I think he was a racist, right? So you cannot buy it all you want but it isn't real. Winthrop has Tillman's name on it too somewhere.

Last edited by Goeffrey; 10-02-2013 at 06:05 AM..

Old 10-02-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's fine if that's your opinion and it's a nice street, but no way in the world is it anything close to a traditional Main Street, in any city. It's an intown suburban street.
Well I disagree. It looks like a Mayberry type of main street. Let's face it, "Main Street" isn't very quaint. Feels like your run of the mill office park except the buildings are taller. So there.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:07 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Strom Thurmond changed his views on race long before he died.

Old 10-02-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Strom Thurmond changed his views on race long before he died.
Thurmond had to, to continue to get elected. It is good to see Democrats say stuff like this. I'm going to save it on my computer for future use.

Of course, if you get naked with a black woman as Thurmond did and have a kid with her, and take care of the kid, are you really all that racist in reality or was just empty rhetoric? Who knows.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:13 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,271,627 times
Quote:
ok, well you didn't go to Clemson so it is really none of your business. I'm not sure why you have to tell me he was a racist, I think that is pretty obvious. I think I've figured out he's a racist and I even called him that. Pretty sure nobody knows who Tillman was at Clemson. Just a name of a building to those college students. He did help start the college. A racist can do some good things too.

Strom Thurmond's name is on the fitness center at USC. I think he was a racist, right? So you cannot buy it all you want but it isn't real. Winthrop has Tillman's name on it too somewhere.
Oh gosh, what was I thinking?! lol Its a public university and I'm making it my business right now as we chat.

Winthrop is a "sister" university to Clemson. Clemson was an all boy school/military school and Winthrop was I suppose a satellite campus for women. If I remember correctly Winthrop was an all girls school till the early 1960's. Hence the connection of Tillman's name beautifully adorning the walls in all that is good and holy, of these two universities.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Oh gosh, what was I thinking?! lol Its a public university and I'm making it my business right now as we chat.

Winthrop is a "sister" university to Clemson. Clemson was an all boy school/military school and Winthrop was I suppose a satellite campus for women. If I remember correctly Winthrop was an all girls school till the early 1960's. Hence the connection of Tillman's name beautifully adorning the walls in all that is good and holy, of these two universities.
Ok, well you didn't go to Clemson or probably any college. If you want to do the Al Sharpton thing, you go for it. You have fun with that.

He gave money to the college. Did you? That is what I thought. Black students that go there do benefit from the fact he helped get it started.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
Quote:
Thurmond had to, to continue to get elected. It is good to see Democrats say stuff like this. I'm going to save it on my computer for future use.

Of course, if you get naked with a black woman as Thurmond did and have a kid with her, and take care of the kid, are you really all that racist in reality or was just empty rhetoric? Who knows.
I'm an Independent.

Old 10-02-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I'm an Independent.
Come on, dude. gay marriage is your main issue and you do seem to prefer more government involvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area