Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2024, 07:01 AM

333 posts, read 215,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinmoz View Post
Charlotte would not have gotten a team without SC, at least not in the nineties. There was not even a 60,000 seat stadium in NC, until Kenan was enlarged in 98.That's because NC is a basketball state. We had two 80,000 seat stadiums. I'm not a fan of the Panthers, the owner is a @#$%, but it's nice to have the NFL close.
I disagree, Charlotte could have absolutely been the sole Panthers named city. Charlotte became the headquarters for Bank of America in the early 90s and that's when their big population boom began. The original owner, Jerry Richardson, was determined to give the Carolinas an NFL team and that was going to be the only viable option especially with it being geologically in the center of the two states and the biggest city. Remember that NFL owners all have to vote on NFL expansion teams, who owns it, and where it's located. Apparently, they all agreed that Charlotte was a destination that could sustain a new team back then and in the future. Also, Bank of America Stadium was built in 1995 and opened in 1996. In 1996 it could hold 73,000 fans and is the largest stadium in NC history so I'm not sure where the 80k seat stadium comes from. If you were referring to basketball then the normal capacity for basketball arenas is around 18k-20k.

The issue is that us, South Carolinians, are unrealistic when it comes to any team. We are horrible fans. We have the Gamecocks in town and people complain about Beamer when he's in the process of trying to turn the team around. That normally takes years but we expect it to be done on day 1. It took Spurrier about 5 years. Dawn Staley has won multiple championships, has the best team in the country, and could of had more if not for Covid. Everyday I see fans tearing her down saying she's racist because she actually stands up for her players, and is prideful of the community she comes from (which is not frowned upon when it comes to other Ethnicities/Heritages). We're lucky enough to have an NFL team an hour away but we complain that they're in NC. News Flash: We are not a metropolis and are too close to Atlanta and Charlotte to ever have any major sports team. Also, Atlanta's metro population is more than our entire state. The Panthers have been to two Superbowls in their short history which is not common (ask Jags, Texans, Titans etc.) but we still complain. Heck, fans complained when they were winning in 2015 because Cam Newton was having too much fun. We are putting a bad taste in the mouths of future coaches, free agents, and more because our fan base is terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 09:25 AM

757 posts, read 568,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
I disagree, Charlotte could have absolutely been the sole Panthers named city. Charlotte became the headquarters for Bank of America in the early 90s and that's when their big population boom began. The original owner, Jerry Richardson, was determined to give the Carolinas an NFL team and that was going to be the only viable option especially with it being geologically in the center of the two states and the biggest city. Remember that NFL owners all have to vote on NFL expansion teams, who owns it, and where it's located. Apparently, they all agreed that Charlotte was a destination that could sustain a new team back then and in the future. Also, Bank of America Stadium was built in 1995 and opened in 1996. In 1996 it could hold 73,000 fans and is the largest stadium in NC history so I'm not sure where the 80k seat stadium comes from. If you were referring to basketball then the normal capacity for basketball arenas is around 18k-20k.

The issue is that us, South Carolinians, are unrealistic when it comes to any team. We are horrible fans. We have the Gamecocks in town and people complain about Beamer when he's in the process of trying to turn the team around. That normally takes years but we expect it to be done on day 1. It took Spurrier about 5 years. Dawn Staley has won multiple championships, has the best team in the country, and could of had more if not for Covid. Everyday I see fans tearing her down saying she's racist because she actually stands up for her players, and is prideful of the community she comes from (which is not frowned upon when it comes to other Ethnicities/Heritages). We're lucky enough to have an NFL team an hour away but we complain that they're in NC. News Flash: We are not a metropolis and are too close to Atlanta and Charlotte to ever have any major sports team. Also, Atlanta's metro population is more than our entire state. The Panthers have been to two Superbowls in their short history which is not common (ask Jags, Texans, Titans etc.) but we still complain. Heck, fans complained when they were winning in 2015 because Cam Newton was having too much fun. We are putting a bad taste in the mouths of future coaches, free agents, and more because our fan base is terrible.
I was in ATL over the holidays and was shocked by how many corp HQs there are. Just checked: 19 Fortune 500s, 35 Fortune 1000s. This is a self-sustaining ecosystem in itself and its gravitational pull will only grow over time given its airport, national reputation, and the depth of its offerings (jobs, events, restaurants, sports, etc.). ATL will continue to attract people from across the country in increasing numbers.

CLT has not reached this level. Having lived there, it doesn't have a very defined sense of culture and it has never had a major, global event like the Olympics to create name recognition even domestically. It also competes with RDU for talent, unlike ATL which effectively vacuums everyone within a 200 mile radius. While it has a hub, American unfortunately distributes traffic whereas Delta concentrates it.

All this to say: SC doesn't have a shot at growing a huge city nor of getting a pro team, but Columbia is far enough away from ATL to have a bit more growth potential even with CLT up the highway.

Old 01-03-2024, 10:31 AM

333 posts, read 215,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
I was in ATL over the holidays and was shocked by how many corp HQs there are. Just checked: 19 Fortune 500s, 35 Fortune 1000s. This is a self-sustaining ecosystem in itself and its gravitational pull will only grow over time given its airport, national reputation, and the depth of its offerings (jobs, events, restaurants, sports, etc.). ATL will continue to attract people from across the country in increasing numbers.

CLT has not reached this level. Having lived there, it doesn't have a very defined sense of culture and it has never had a major, global event like the Olympics to create name recognition even domestically. It also competes with RDU for talent, unlike ATL which effectively vacuums everyone within a 200 mile radius. While it has a hub, American unfortunately distributes traffic whereas Delta concentrates it.

All this to say: SC doesn't have a shot at growing a huge city nor of getting a pro team, but Columbia is far enough away from ATL to have a bit more growth potential even with CLT up the highway.
Yes, growth potential is there if the state would get out of it's own way. The Confederate flag was one hurdle that was clearly in the way and pushed many organizations away from the state entirely. Also, we are so used to being rural that any change is considered bad by a big percentage of the population. With that being said, I don't even want Columbia to become a huge city but at least be in the same vein as Raleigh. If we could land a major corporation then it could transform downtown and the surrounding areas. Then, we wouldn't be so handicapped by the plethora of untaxed land (i.e. churches and surface lots) in the CBD. But I agree we have no shot at a pro team unless we start landing Fortune 500s for years to come. Then, Charlotte, Columbia, and Atlanta would become the southern version of the Northeast Megalopolis (Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore)lol

Old 01-03-2024, 01:23 PM

8,249 posts, read 13,371,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How so? Jerry Richardson was intentional about making the Panthers a truly regional team, and it seemed like David Tepper wanted to continue in that vein. But the fiasco in Rock Hill and more recently pulling the training camp from Spartanburg demonstrates that he isn't nearly as concerned with that. And these are recent developments.
I guess it seems like its the "carolina" panthers in name only. Having a training camp in SC would seem to be the minimum that one could do to carry that banner along with maybe a few exhibition games.. I have no idea if USC has had a change of heart or not. But, It seems that they would do more in SC to cultivate an SC fan base.. Do they give grants to build playgrounds or have to the team come out and do things in various parts of the SC? Maybe they do in Rock Hill and that checks the box. I suspect that the Jets and the Giants may do things in both states in a similar manner in the NY Metro and maybe the Patriots in Boston Metro which could span beyond Mass. It just seems that you would be active in whatever area you consider to be your fan base. Again, maybe they are in Rock Hill and Greenville Spartanburg and that is likely the extent of the SC fan base... .LOL

Old 01-04-2024, 03:23 AM

757 posts, read 568,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
Yes, growth potential is there if the state would get out of it's own way. The Confederate flag was one hurdle that was clearly in the way and pushed many organizations away from the state entirely. Also, we are so used to being rural that any change is considered bad by a big percentage of the population. With that being said, I don't even want Columbia to become a huge city but at least be in the same vein as Raleigh. If we could land a major corporation then it could transform downtown and the surrounding areas. Then, we wouldn't be so handicapped by the plethora of untaxed land (i.e. churches and surface lots) in the CBD. But I agree we have no shot at a pro team unless we start landing Fortune 500s for years to come. Then, Charlotte, Columbia, and Atlanta would become the southern version of the Northeast Megalopolis (Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore)lol
I've been lightly involved in corporate relocations in the past and the biggest decision point is the CEO test. Would the CEO live there? More importantly, would the CEO's partner live there and are there really strong private schools for any kids?

This is the biggest blocker to every city in SC in my opinion. Even manufacturers that might naturally be prone to locating in suburban or rural areas will still use this test. The key in my view is the back office. SC as a state could easily mimic Charlotte's approach of a few years ago, which was to target accounting, customer service, IT, operations, etc. for banks. High cost companies in the Northeast should increasingly be looking to locate their support staff in lower cost areas. For now those jobs are landing in Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Nashville, etc., but it's not hard to imagine a smaller city pitching for them as well.

These jobs are building blocks to draw the kind of amenities HQs expect when they look at a city. It's a good slow burn strategy.

Old 01-04-2024, 08:50 AM

403 posts, read 234,763 times
PickleGarden, a pickleball/biergarten concept is planned for Candi Lane near Riverbanks Zoo on the banks of the Saluda. This will be the first development on the River Walk.

https://columbiabusinessreport.com/b...-saluda-river/

Old 01-04-2024, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
PickleGarden, a pickleball/biergarten concept is planned for Candi Lane near Riverbanks Zoo on the banks of the Saluda. This will be the first development on the River Walk.

https://columbiabusinessreport.com/b...-saluda-river/
what a perfect combination. I know it may sound hokey but I have always thought that a cable car/gondola from the Riverfront Park over the Congraree River to the Zoo would be a nice attraction. It could be closer to the RR trestle and I126 Bridge as to not take away from the panoramic view of the citys skyline. Other cities have farris wheels why cant we be known for the Gondola.... It could get people from the Columbia Riverfront to the Zoon and back and I am sure the views of the River would be spectacular. Take that Greenvillinans! LOL

Somewhere in this vicinity. This would be a really nice view of the River and various runs, channels, islands, wildlife.

So from the Columbia Amphitheatre to Boyd's Island then over to the Zoo parking lot in the link below

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0052...!1e3?entry=ttu

The cheaper.. less than sexy option would be to run a historic tourist train borrowed from the museum in Winnsboro that would start at the Columbia Amtrak Station and run to the zoo parking lot on weekends.. and a sloooooow run over the river to the zoo parking lot.

Old 01-04-2024, 12:29 PM

403 posts, read 234,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
what a perfect combination. I know it may sound hokey but I have always thought that a cable car/gondola from the Riverfront Park over the Congraree River to the Zoo would be a nice attraction. It could be closer to the RR trestle and I126 Bridge as to not take away from the panoramic view of the citys skyline. Other cities have farris wheels why cant we be known for the Gondola.... It could get people from the Columbia Riverfront to the Zoon and back and I am sure the views of the River would be spectacular. Take that Greenvillinans! LOL

Somewhere in this vicinity. This would be a really nice view of the River and various runs, channels, islands, wildlife.

So from the Columbia Amphitheatre to Boyd's Island then over to the Zoo parking lot in the link below

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0052...!1e3?entry=ttu

The cheaper.. less than sexy option would be to run a historic tourist train borrowed from the museum in Winnsboro that would start at the Columbia Amtrak Station and run to the zoo parking lot on weekends.. and a sloooooow run over the river to the zoo parking lot.
I believe part of the $80 million zoo expansion includes a Gondola over the Saluda

Old 01-04-2024, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestcracker View Post
I believe part of the $80 million zoo expansion includes a Gondola over the Saluda
I believe you are right but that is just from the Zoo into West Columbia and not to/from the Columbia (proper) side to the Zoo. I think that is still a nice addition though...

Old 01-05-2024, 04:07 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,961,259 times
The city is set to annex a total of 82 acres, 7 acres in Northeast Richland (Elgin) and in Kershaw County (75 acres) for a housing development. Looks like from the master plan for Woodcreek Farms the city will continue annexing into Kershaw county for the rest of the development. The city of Columbia will now span between three counties.

https://planninganddevelopment.colum..._PC_Packet.pdf

Last edited by sonofaque86; 01-05-2024 at 04:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area