Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2024, 04:03 PM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Supposedly, when the city was built it was thought that mosquitos couldn't fly more than 60 ft without dying of starvation. Boundary and major cross thoroughfares (Assembly and Senate) were 150 ft wide and the others 100 ft wide. https://www.columbiahistorybuff.com/...reets.html?m=1

Columbia's generous grid serves it well for the most part but it would've been nice if it was interspersed with a few squares like downtown Raleigh (which was the 2nd planned capital city in the country after Columbia).
Yeah its a shame Columbia doesn't have more public squares. You would think with the likes of Charleston and Savannah being nearby.. there would have been some incorporated into the cityscape.. The ones in Raleigh are nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 05:53 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah its a shame Columbia doesn't have more public squares. You would think with the likes of Charleston and Savannah being nearby.. there would have been some incorporated into the cityscape.. The ones in Raleigh are nice.
Charleston doesn't really have prominent squares aside from Marion Square. In that respect, you could say Columbia's prominent square is the Statehouse grounds.

What I find interesting is that neighboring Augusta lacks squares despite having the same founder and planner as Savannah.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:41 AM

Just read that the Lutheran Southern. Seminary is leaving Cola .. Though this is a blow for North Main it could represent an opportunity 1) Columbia College buys it for a satellite campus. Since they are now co Ed it's a turn key campus for future expansion . 2) developer buys it and turns it into a mixed use complex with apartments and office space. Either option would be a win win for the area

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...BJq2DPDKLdgPXH

Old 03-05-2024, 08:03 AM

518 posts, read 435,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Just read that the Lutheran Southern. Seminary is leaving Cola .. Though this is a blow for North Main it could represent an opportunity 1) Columbia College buys it for a satellite campus. Since they are now co Ed it's a turn key campus for future expansion . 2) developer buys it and turns it into a mixed use complex with apartments and office space. Either option would be a win win for the area

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...BJq2DPDKLdgPXH
I think that area would be really nice for Mixed Use. Great looking campus.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
I think that area would be really nice for Mixed Use. Great looking campus.
Reminds me of a smaller version of the area around Middleburg/ St Julian Place off of Forest Drive..An office campus style area....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...2X3Q?entry=ttu

You wonder if Cola College got a hold of it and increased their enrollment if it would cause some of those smaller retail spots in between the two campuses to cater to more towards students? I guess C squared would have to quadruple their enrollment? They are at 1500 now but not sure how many live on campus

Old 03-05-2024, 07:48 PM

421 posts, read 573,856 times
I heard something about some hotel being built by Williams Brice that will overlook the stadium and one of the selling points is you can watch a gamecock football game from your hotel room. Has this been announced?

Old 03-06-2024, 06:20 AM

752 posts, read 566,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
I heard something about some hotel being built by Williams Brice that will overlook the stadium and one of the selling points is you can watch a gamecock football game from your hotel room. Has this been announced?
That's always really tricky to do given the shape of stadiums, you'd basically need to have a First Base-style building (Bull Street) that is basically inside the stadium to see anything. I say this having worked at the Duke Energy Center in Charlotte, which is high enough to see inside the Panthers stadium but at too shallow of an angle to watch a game.

That said, love this idea! I wonder if it's part of someone's RFP response? Context: https://gamecocksonline.com/stadiumproject/

Old 03-06-2024, 10:34 AM

121 posts, read 93,114 times
There is a hotel right beside the new Atlanta Braves stadium.You can watch a game from the poolside rooftop bar.

Old 03-06-2024, 11:31 AM

421 posts, read 573,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
That's always really tricky to do given the shape of stadiums, you'd basically need to have a First Base-style building (Bull Street) that is basically inside the stadium to see anything. I say this having worked at the Duke Energy Center in Charlotte, which is high enough to see inside the Panthers stadium but at too shallow of an angle to watch a game.

That said, love this idea! I wonder if it's part of someone's RFP response? Context: https://gamecocksonline.com/stadiumproject/

My friends husband who is an accountant at USC, says that she’s seen the plans fot it?

Old 03-06-2024, 05:06 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Didn't expect Columbia to rank where it did on this list: https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/2...south-1255944/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area