Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2019, 07:09 AM

8,227 posts, read 13,345,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
That was the plan. To get Richland county and the city to be in one mega Complex.

Who knows what Richland County is up to especially with the Richland Renaissance stuff.. I believe they are moving their administrative offices out to Columbia Place and redoing their current offices on Hampton Street/Harden Street into more court offices and selling the current courts building on Main... That will likely become a redevelopment site of some sort.. The city is purchasing the old post office if I am not mistaken? The Vet Affairs building may still be for sale... That may be another option for either Richland or City of Columbia for offices space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 03:59 PM

333 posts, read 214,790 times
With all of the demand for hotels and more residential downtown I wonder if the city has asked any any developers about a possible hotel-residential tower. It could have a 6 story garage with 10 story hotel, 10 story residential, 3 floors of event/conference space, with a rooftop venue and bar as well. Maybe even a restaurant on the top floor. It has been done in other cities. That kind of event space and bar is missing from the city and would do very well.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:38 PM

1,152 posts, read 954,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
With all of the demand for hotels and more residential downtown I wonder if the city has asked any any developers about a possible hotel-residential tower. It could have a 6 story garage with 10 story hotel, 10 story residential, 3 floors of event/conference space, with a rooftop venue and bar as well. Maybe even a restaurant on the top floor. It has been done in other cities. That kind of event space and bar is missing from the city and would do very well.
So like Epicentre in Charlotte.

Best place to plop that would be the horrible parking Crater across from the Library on Assembly Street.

That's the perfect spot for a massive Mixed use Development. A full half block. I could see the hotel/residential complex being built there.

I believe there's the demand.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:31 PM

Not like Epicentre(even though a place like that would be great) but an actual tower with 10 floors each for hotel and apartments built on top of 6-7 floors of a garage. I guess built kind of like how the Aloft is built on top of the garage at Epicentre, but then add event space for weddings etc for the top 3 floors with a restaurant. Then maybe have a rooftop bar/lounge. That would be 30 stories and game changer.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:47 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
Not like Epicentre(even though a place like that would be great) but an actual tower with 10 floors each for hotel and apartments built on top of 6-7 floors of a garage. I guess built kind of like how the Aloft is built on top of the garage at Epicentre, but then add event space for weddings etc for the top 3 floors with a restaurant. Then maybe have a rooftop bar/lounge. That would be 30 stories and game changer.
Actually that sounds more like this building in Charlotte.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Exactly. I just added a few more floors with the garage and event spaces

Old 09-27-2019, 09:54 PM

1,152 posts, read 954,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That building is so ugly :/ I've driven pass it many time before I'm Charlotte. If we get something like this I hope it looks prettier then this.

Old 09-27-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
That building is so ugly :/ I've driven pass it many time before I'm Charlotte. If we get something like this I hope it looks prettier then this.
Yeah I was just preferring to the concept, not the actual building.

Old 09-28-2019, 04:59 AM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
I agree. It was initially supposed to be a condo building exclusively I think and sat partially finished for a while post-recession before someone else bought it and made it into what it is now.

Old 09-28-2019, 09:18 AM

542 posts, read 1,106,763 times
Ah, The Robot, AKA as Hyatt place. That's my favorite place to stay in Charlotte. Great location, great rooftop with Fahrenheit. Best view of Uptown. I love the idea. [IMG]20180802_175506 by joel moslet, on Flickr[/IMG][IMG]20180629_233027 by joel moslet, on Flickr[/IMG]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area