Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2019, 06:54 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quibbs View Post
My understanding is he owns it with his still(?) living mother and she does not want to sell. She has to be in her early 90s by now.

They own a good bit around that area. If I owned something like that for 60-70 years with a ton of family history attached to it, I'm not sure I would sell either. Imagine the history they have there and all the change they have seen over all those years.

Change will eventually come to those lots, It's always just a matter of time.
I'm sure she's sentimental about the old Market Restaurant, but it isn't there anymore. If it's about the parking lot, well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 06:27 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Woodlands, I do see a slight resemblance lol Niet, niet...

And oh guys, come on... A helluva lot better than the first rendering we saw.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...e43802610.html

My standards maybe fairly low, but it looks respectable. Again, it’s student housing so I just can’t see why they’d sex it up.

If this were an office tower then I would have my gripes.
Need to look at where the architects are from that worked on this design.....at any rate glad to see some height in that area though it would have been nicer across near Wells Fargo.....Da Svedanya

Old 12-13-2019, 07:49 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
It’s going to pretty much block out the view of the Hub from the west, because even though it will be shorter, it will be a block closer. I’m not sure the altered dimensions of the skyline from that view will be for the better, at least not for fans of vertical, finger skylines.
You're probably right for the most part. Although, The Edge only takes up half of the block along with the library and The Hub takes up almost the entire length of the block, so if you're looking at it straight on, The Hub will only be partially obscured.

On a different note, if we really want to get to the details, The Edge sits on land 17 feet lower than where The Hub sits, per Google Earth. So it shouldn't totally be obscured. Also, a reminder that The Hub is almost twice as tall as The Edge: 325 ft. vs 180 ft.

It'll be interesting to see how it turns out in that aspect and the different angles of the skyline.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:01 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,270,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quibbs View Post
My understanding is he owns it with his still(?) living mother and she does not want to sell. She has to be in her early 90s by now.

They own a good bit around that area. If I owned something like that for 60-70 years with a ton of family history attached to it, I'm not sure I would sell either. Imagine the history they have there and all the change they have seen over all those years.

Change will eventually come to those lots, It's always just a matter of time.
I'm not sure how old Jim Papadea is, but as with most the old generation of Greeks in the U.S. that came from poor upbringings in the motherland, they are extremely reluctant to every give anything up like that (business, land, property), even if it goes against good sense. Although as most of us would know, when it comes to dollars, sentimental attachment has zero value. So this property will be pried from some Greeks cold dead fingers before it's sold willingly.

I cant begin to tell you how many stories I have of situations similar to this.

But who knows, maybe they're making a killing on the parking there.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:57 AM

333 posts, read 214,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
I'm not sure how old Jim Papadea is, but as with most the old generation of Greeks in the U.S. that came from poor upbringings in the motherland, they are extremely reluctant to every give anything up like that (business, land, property), even if it goes against good sense. Although as most of us would know, when it comes to dollars, sentimental attachment has zero value. So this property will be pried from some Greeks cold dead fingers before it's sold willingly.

I cant begin to tell you how many stories I have of situations similar to this.

But who knows, maybe they're making a killing on the parking there.
From what I can recall. In an article about those properties a few years ago he said that he always said he would sell for the right price, but whenever the right price came he would wonder how much more he could get or he didn't like the projects. They've been asked to sell for hotels, student housing, and office buildings over the years. I wonder since they profit from the surface parking if they could have an agreement in place to receive a percentage of the garage parking from a mixed use development.

Old 12-13-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
From what I can recall. In an article about those properties a few years ago he said that he always said he would sell for the right price, but whenever the right price came he would wonder how much more he could get or he didn't like the projects. They've been asked to sell for hotels, student housing, and office buildings over the years. I wonder since they profit from the surface parking if they could have an agreement in place to receive a percentage of the garage parking from a mixed use development.

Or Ground Lease the entire site to a developer..though some developers may not prefer that option.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Or Ground Lease the entire site to a developer..though some developers may not prefer that option.
I don't think that would be an ideal situation for developers either. Even though they could probably buy out in the future from relatives that inherit the land.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:10 PM

A new upscale restaurant is going into the former Al Amir on main street. Hopefully this block can get some TLC with more foot traffic. Especially in the lot behind it on Sumter Street.

https://www.thestate.com/living/food...237994774.html

Old 12-13-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I don't think that would be an ideal situation for developers either. Even though they could probably buy out in the future from relatives that inherit the land.

Exactly.. that may allow something to go forward under the current family ownership if "losing" the property is of an immediate concern. Though the current family elders may say they want to sign a 99 year lease or something crazy that ties it up for two or three generations... LOL

Old 12-13-2019, 06:02 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
A new upscale restaurant is going into the former Al Amir on main street. Hopefully this block can get some TLC with more foot traffic. Especially in the lot behind it on Sumter Street.

https://www.thestate.com/living/food...237994774.html
Al Amir didn't do well because they didn't serve alcohol. It's really hard for a restaurant to make it without at least beer and wine. They're doing better, a little further up Main, because I'm sure the rent is much less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area