Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2015, 10:38 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I think the developer jumped the gun with his tenants announcement.
I agree; he shouldn't have said anything until he was ready to announce who they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 08:44 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post

North of Gregg St

Yeah the parking lots along Bull St. are likely to buffer it from the river of traffic that flows along it... Maybe the village green should have been along Bull Street as opposed to back over in the upper portion of the complex.. that way it could have been a nice transition from Cottontown?

If I could go back in a time machine I would have pushed for 277 to go all the way to I-126 with exits on North Main and Huger St. @ 126. It would have gone above North Main but below River Drive and over Park Street. It could have been tastefully buffered from the historic neighborhood of Elmwood Park... If that had been done then Bull Street wouldnt have needed to be a 'freeway' style street because traffic would have likely gone to North Main or Huger Street to go downtown as it should. Quite frankly I am surprised that this didnt happen considering the minimal impact that last phase would have had on Elmwood Park and Earlewood considering the route would follow an existing railroad thus there were a large number of homes next to the route nor would any have to be demolished. Considering the fact that the higway likely disrupted way more residents on its approach between the James Clyburn Pedestrian Bridge and its current terminus where it bisects several neighborhoods.It could have been narrowed and nicely placed in a gully to where no one would even have known it was there with the exception of its elevated crossing of North Main and Park Street.. even then that could have been screend so you wouldnt even see cars passing over it....

Fast forward to today.. there would have been a more natural connection between the State Hospital site and the surrounding areas.....

Old 06-08-2015, 08:52 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
If it had been done to the right standard as you suggest, it would have been a nice piece of infrastructure. Unfortunately, it is unlikely it would have been done properly, so I suspect we dodged a bullet.

I do wish the Bull/Elmwood intersection was more pedestrian and urban. Not sure how easily this can be fixed today.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
If it had been done to the right standard as you suggest, it would have been a nice piece of infrastructure. Unfortunately, it is unlikely it would have been done properly, so I suspect we dodged a bullet.

I do wish the Bull/Elmwood intersection was more pedestrian and urban. Not sure how easily this can be fixed today.

It can be.. It would cost a few $$$ and traffic would likely be impacted.. especially if you took out a lane or two. In all honesty.. the SCDOT could still have 277 run and end at North Main in order to break up the traffic and relieve Bull Street. The rest of the right of way has been turned over to the City of Columbia in between River Drive and North Main.. YOu can see the areas for the ramps right before 277 ends....

Old 06-08-2015, 01:19 PM

611 posts, read 920,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Yeah the parking lots along Bull St. are likely to buffer it from the river of traffic that flows along it... Maybe the village green should have been along Bull Street as opposed to back over in the upper portion of the complex.. that way it could have been a nice transition from Cottontown?

If I could go back in a time machine I would have pushed for 277 to go all the way to I-126 with exits on North Main and Huger St. @ 126. It would have gone above North Main but below River Drive and over Park Street. It could have been tastefully buffered from the historic neighborhood of Elmwood Park... If that had been done then Bull Street wouldnt have needed to be a 'freeway' style street because traffic would have likely gone to North Main or Huger Street to go downtown as it should. Quite frankly I am surprised that this didnt happen considering the minimal impact that last phase would have had on Elmwood Park and Earlewood considering the route would follow an existing railroad thus there were a large number of homes next to the route nor would any have to be demolished. Considering the fact that the higway likely disrupted way more residents on its approach between the James Clyburn Pedestrian Bridge and its current terminus where it bisects several neighborhoods.It could have been narrowed and nicely placed in a gully to where no one would even have known it was there with the exception of its elevated crossing of North Main and Park Street.. even then that could have been screend so you wouldnt even see cars passing over it....

Fast forward to today.. there would have been a more natural connection between the State Hospital site and the surrounding areas.....

Honestly, I'm glad they did not connect them. I think it would have been largely unnecessary due to the relatively small amount of thru-traffic. There really is no reason to encourage traffic to come down 277 and back out onto 126 (or vice-versa), as both of these spurs feed directly to/from downtown Columbia. The existing interstates form a natural beltway.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGamecock View Post
Honestly, I'm glad they did not connect them. I think it would have been largely unnecessary due to the relatively small amount of thru-traffic. There really is no reason to encourage traffic to come down 277 and back out onto 126 (or vice-versa), as both of these spurs feed directly to/from downtown Columbia. The existing interstates form a natural beltway.

Not so much to come down 277 then out 126.. frankly the design likely wouldnt allow you to be able to go out 126 much like you cant go south from 277 going north bound on to I-77 south towards Charleston.. you go only north towards Charlotte because you could get off on I-20 and then pick up I-77 south. The route was to take traffic to Huger Street where it could go up/down Taylor, Hampton, Gervais or Blossom in/out of the CBD. As it stands now.. the same thing happens but from Bull Street instead of Huger.. Huger would likely have been better since (at the time) it was more of an industrial corridor. Bull Street severed the CBD from the Historic District around the Township which was once one cohesive neighborhood at one time. It also resulted in Elmwood Ave having to be widen as well..which cut Elmwood Park and Cottontown off from the CBD...All of this traffic could have been dumped on to Huger St and no one would have complained.......since no one lives on Huger....atleast not above Olympia.. They still would haved to deal with the USC traffic much like they do now....

Old 06-09-2015, 08:53 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,945,475 times
Quote:
Not so much to come down 277 then out 126.. frankly the design likely wouldnt allow you to be able to go out 126 much like you cant go south from 277 going north bound on to I-77 south towards Charleston.. you go only north towards Charlotte because you could get off on I-20 and then pick up I-77 south. The route was to take traffic to Huger Street where it could go up/down Taylor, Hampton, Gervais or Blossom in/out of the CBD. As it stands now.. the same thing happens but from Bull Street instead of Huger.. Huger would likely have been better since (at the time) it was more of an industrial corridor. Bull Street severed the CBD from the Historic District around the Township which was once one cohesive neighborhood at one time. It also resulted in Elmwood Ave having to be widen as well..which cut Elmwood Park and Cottontown off from the CBD...All of this traffic could have been dumped on to Huger St and no one would have complained.......since no one lives on Huger....atleast not above Olympia.. They still would haved to deal with the USC traffic much like they do now....
Well the problem with dumping all the traffic on Huger means that would cut off the river much as it has today. Columbia's biggest issue downtown as I think we all in this thread and forum are well aware of is the balance between how to flow traffic through the city while creating a more pedestrian friendly and connected downtown.

This is why as excited as I have been for this project, ive had my doubts on how it will blend with and connect the rest of downtown rather than being more stand alone due to Elmwood and Bull Streets lack of ability to be pedestrian friendly without major funding. And even then, a simple street scape wont be enough...look at Assembly around USC...yeah its pretty and looks much better than it did but it really inst any more pedestrian friendly and a major intersection like Elmwood and Bull which carries a huge amount of the traffic coming into downtown wont be able to be urban or pedestrian friendly unless major re routing is done which would be new roads, etc.

Regardless, Columbia Common will still be an awesome project that will have a great effect on downtown, but I think it will be more of a stand alone development rather than blending in with the urban nature and connecting with Main Street and the rest of downtown. Not to mention there is still a homeless shelter and transit station between the two...

Old 06-09-2015, 09:51 AM

678 posts, read 799,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post

Regardless, Columbia Common will still be an awesome project that will have a great effect on downtown, but I think it will be more of a stand alone development rather than blending in with the urban nature and connecting with Main Street and the rest of downtown. Not to mention there is still a homeless shelter and transit station between the two...
I agree. What kind of worries me is that it's obvious that most people, even those living in the CBD and near the vista, where most of the residential growth downtown is coming, will most certainly want to drive -not walk- to bull st if they decide to skip main st and the vista any given day/night. It's not that it's all that far of a walk but it's not the most convenient or pedestrian friendly as walking , say, between main st and the vista. Walking between the vista and main st is also just more of an interesting walk than walking to bull st. There's only so many Cottontown residents. I have an overall feeling that things could take longer than we first hoped for columbia common, kind of similar to what happened with the innovista project. If we enter an economic downturn we could be looking at major delays. Hopefully I'm wrong and the economy continues to hum along well over the next 5-10 years. But the building boom here and real estate levels frothing again across a lot of the country just makes me wonder if a downturn is close.

Last edited by Bouje2; 06-09-2015 at 10:27 AM..

Old 06-09-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
I agree. What kind of worries me is that it's obvious that most people, even those live in the CBD and near the vista, where most of the residential growth is coming, will most certainly want to drive to bull st. It's not that it's all that far of a walk but it's not the most convenient or pedestrian friendly. I have an overall feeling that things could take longer than we first hoped for columbia common, kind of similar to what happened with the innovista district... If we enter an economic downturn we could be looking at major delays. Hopefully I'm wrong and the economy continues to hum along well over the next 5-10 years.

Well thats where the Columbia Comet comes in... They should work with the developer and resume the "trolley" service so that it runs through the CBD and maybe USC and over to Columbia Commons.. If the Commons because the convenience shopping destination for the CBD (not sure if that is the plan.. but that is what it may end up being) with Target and related types of retailers along with specialty shops.. Then I can see many of these folks wanting to go over there. Quite Frankly.. it may be good if it becomes such a district.. Folks who live on North Main have to drive 20 minutes to get to a store such as Target.. If it is in the Commons it would take half that amount of time> I know people dont like the idea of Targets, Marshalls, TJ Maxx and such coming into Columbia Commons.. but these types of stores work for those folks that have families..and that is who we want to live in the CBD among others...

Old 06-09-2015, 10:30 AM

678 posts, read 799,182 times
Quote:
Well thats where the Columbia Comet comes in... They should work with the developer and resume the "trolley" service so that it runs through the CBD and maybe USC and over to Columbia Commons.. If the Commons because the convenience shopping destination for the CBD (not sure if that is the plan.. but that is what it may end up being) with Target and related types of retailers along with specialty shops.. Then I can see many of these folks wanting to go over there. Quite Frankly.. it may be good if it becomes such a district.. Folks who live on North Main have to drive 20 minutes to get to a store such as Target.. If it is in the Commons it would take half that amount of time> I know people dont like the idea of Targets, Marshalls, TJ Maxx and such coming into Columbia Commons.. but these types of stores work for those folks that have families..and that is who we want to live in the CBD among others...
I agree. I wouldn't be overly sad if we need cut our losses and just go for the targets, wal-mart mini store, and other similar type stores. A little disappointing if that happens but would understand and it would make sense economically.

Last edited by Bouje2; 06-09-2015 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area