Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2021, 02:54 AM

37,928 posts, read 42,186,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
“Giving people what they need to thrive and succeed…”

How do you give people a work ethic? Because that is all you need to thrive and succeed. I don’t care where you come from, your race, social status, family history, etc….. As a business owner and employer, I reward work ethic. I look for people who are willing to put in the extra effort. And when I find them, I try like hell to keep them.

Work ethic. That’s what it’s all about. It will be rewarded.
It depends on what's meant by "thrive," "succeed," and "work ethic." Some would say one can only truly thrive and succeed by becoming self-employed/self-sufficient.

And then there's the whole working smart vs working hard thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 06:26 AM

8,284 posts, read 13,464,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
That's bullmallarkey. Teaching people about the history of racism in this country is FACT, not conjecture.
Plus.. its highlighting how government policies/regulations in housing, lending, employment and public spaces contributed to this inequality.. I dont think the idea is to make anyone hate anyone else but to forge and understanding of how public policy/practices can cause harm especially if it is based on race. Can you imagine a generation of people growing up today who are oblivious to how public policy impacts people whether it be race, gender, national origin if you are not aware of the history of what these policies and practices can do? Today, it may not be overt racism but could very well be ignoring the unintended consequences of enacting public policies or practices on various groups especially if those individuals are not represented in discussions.

Could some say CRT is designed to make people hate themselves or white people ? Sure, if that is the lens you want to look through... Could someone say it is to create a shared understanding of how public policy or practices effected people of color in order to have a shared understanding of the impacts of said policies so we dont repeat those same mistakes again? Analyzing the impacts of government housing policies, judicial system, public spaces (segregation/integration), workplace discrimination, lending practices, etc and how they have contributed to some of the problems of today? Sure....and to your point.. all of this is documented.. so its all .... HISTORY... by calling it out as CRT allows it to be separated from History which may work for both proponents and opponents in todays political landscape

Last edited by Woodlands; 11-19-2021 at 06:39 AM..

Old 11-19-2021, 06:33 AM

How much control does a Mayor (of Columbia) have over CRT... if the ideas is that somehow one candidate or the other would somehow force/stop it from coming into the classroom..I think in most cities in SC.. the answer would be ZERO

Old 11-19-2021, 12:08 PM

334 posts, read 219,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
CRT is an attempt to say all or most white people today are racist and to promote a victimization mindset among minorities. It doesn't help kids to be told they can't be successful because of their race and it isn't true.
When I was in the military we used to have discussions (mixed group) about race and why things are the way they are. Most non-blacks thought that blacks were just lazy and they were poor, violent, and on drugs because of that. They thought that since I was successful then there should be no excuse. I explained that after joining the military I was considered green instead of black and for many that is the only way to better their circumstances. I explained to them how jails are legal slave institutions, how the government actually flooded the black community with cocaine(which wasn't even affordable for blacks back then), black leader assasinations, affluent community destruction, and how America pays Germany for the Holocaust but won't pay for reparations for the sins they committed. Which is partly false because some slaves received reparations of coastal land but it was taken away and given to the slave owners because of their "loss of property" and now their families are millionaires from black land. The difference in sentencing for the same crime but different races etc. The point being, this was not taught in school and many non blacks go through their lives just thinking "as long as you work hard", but don't take into account the barriers put in place to hold others back. CRT breaks down why things are the way they are for better understanding and the ugly truth that the country hides. A lot conform to the notion that if a black person is successful it's because of a handout and a white person earned their position and can be trusted, which a lot of times is the complete opposite. The holocaust is talked about in great detail in this country with anguish and we had nothing to do with it!!! But, as soon as the truth about this country comes up then here goes the "get over it !! We don't want to promote victimization and we don't want our white kids' to feel bad". You seriously cannot make this stuff up. I personally think that it is better for white youths to know the truth rather than have to suffer from the experiences that generations of black youths have had to suffer for a basic planned genocide.

Quote:
You are assuming I’m talking about the most cliche welfare cases. I’m not. People of color are offered a lot of different forms of government assistance outside of typical food stamps and welfare. I’m talking about affirmative action, quotas and the like. I know these first hand because my son-in-law is black. His parents are of equal financial means as my wife and I. Yet his entire college tuition was covered with grants and loan forgiveness that was not available to my daughter. And it wasn’t grades. He was a C - C+ student.
I don't know which school your son in law went to but if he didn't have good grades in school I can assure you that he didn't get a full free ride for grades. My first question is were his parents former military? If so, then he could have free tuition because of the GI bill, disabled veterans benefits etc. If you think black people just go to school for free then you are mistaken. Yes, there are grants and loans out there for him, but their are also some for your daughter. It's called being a minority. If your daughter were to attend an HBCU then she could also be eligible for minority grants as well.

Old 11-19-2021, 12:20 PM

2,169 posts, read 3,150,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post
When I was in the military we used to have discussions (mixed group) about race and why things are the way they are. Most non-blacks thought that blacks were just lazy and they were poor, violent, and on drugs because of that. They thought that since I was successful then there should be no excuse. I explained that after joining the military I was considered green instead of black and for many that is the only way to better their circumstances. I explained to them how jails are legal slave institutions, how the government actually flooded the black community with cocaine(which wasn't even affordable for blacks back then), black leader assasinations, affluent community destruction, and how America pays Germany for the Holocaust but won't pay for reparations for the sins they committed. Which is partly false because some slaves received reparations of coastal land but it was taken away and given to the slave owners because of their "loss of property" and now their families are millionaires from black land. The difference in sentencing for the same crime but different races etc. The point being, this was not taught in school and many non blacks go through their lives just thinking "as long as you work hard", but don't take into account the barriers put in place to hold others back. CRT breaks down why things are the way they are for better understanding and the ugly truth that the country hides. A lot conform to the notion that if a black person is successful it's because of a handout and a white person earned their position and can be trusted, which a lot of times is the complete opposite. The holocaust is talked about in great detail in this country with anguish and we had nothing to do with it!!! But, as soon as the truth about this country comes up then here goes the "get over it !! We don't want to promote victimization and we don't want our white kids' to feel bad". You seriously cannot make this stuff up. I personally think that it is better for white youths to know the truth rather than have to suffer from the experiences that generations of black youths have had to suffer for a basic planned genocide.

I don't know which school your son in law went to but if he didn't have good grades in school I can assure you that he didn't get a full free ride for grades. My first question is were his parents former military? If so, then he could have free tuition because of the GI bill, disabled veterans benefits etc. If you think black people just go to school for free then you are mistaken. Yes, there are grants and loans out there for him, but their are also some for your daughter. It's called being a minority. If your daughter were to attend an HBCU then she could also be eligible for minority grants as well.
No. His parents weren’t military.
Yes. He went to a HBCU
No. His scholarships/grants weren’t based on grades.
And finally, my daughter would definitely be a minority at a HBCU but I doubt she would qualify for any “minority” scholarships. Which is kinda my point.

Old 11-19-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
No. His parents weren’t military.
Yes. He went to a HBCU
No. His scholarships/grants weren’t based on grades.
And finally, my daughter would definitely be a minority at a HBCU but I doubt she would qualify for any “minority” scholarships. Which is kinda my point.
I'm not asking if she could I am telling you that there are programs for white students that attend HBCUs. She could have qualified for minority grants because she would be a minority on campus. Contrary to what you may believe, there are white students that attend HBCUs. They aren't exclusive to black people and they are actually encouraged to attend. Those that I know that have attended said they have also felt welcomed by those on campus and never felt threatened unlike the treatment blacks have historically and currently receive by attending PWIs.

Also, your story seems very fishy because I've never known a black student that has attended an HBCU for free with poor grades and I know a lot. As as matter of fact, many are still paying off their loans. Maybe that is what you are referring to. Are you sure your son-in-law is black because this reeks of the classic trope "I have black friends".

Last edited by Big_Cat; 11-19-2021 at 12:52 PM..

Old 11-19-2021, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 1,973 times
This is just another throw-in to activate the audience and start provocation.It can be seen with the naked eye that this is a mounted video.Don't disgrace yourself with your multi accounts

Old 11-19-2021, 03:30 PM

1,290 posts, read 795,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Cat View Post

These are political talking points, not facts. Political viewpoints should not be part of academics.

Just last week, a young black person was released from jail at a low bail amount after he shot a teacher and student at a school. All of last year, many of the people who committed serious crimes during the riots were given a pass.

Every media person that talks up CRT is a person who is routinely bashing white people and calling people with different viewpoints racist, often twisting their words. They often make assertions about history that are not true, like the Big Switch theory.

Nobody is opposed to students being taught that there was slavery, segregation, lynching , etc. Trying to assert things like most black people in jail didn't commit crimes is silly.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 11-19-2021 at 03:43 PM..

Old 11-19-2021, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
These are political talking points, not facts. Political viewpoints should not be part of academics.

Just last week, a young black person was released from jail at a low bail amount after he shot a teacher and student at a school. All of last year, many of the people who committed serious crimes during the riots were given a pass.

Every media person that talks up CRT is a person who is routinely bashing white people and calling people with different viewpoints racist, often twisting their words. They often make assertions about history that are not true, like the Big Switch theory.

Nobody is opposed to students being taught that there was slavery, segregation, lynching , etc. Trying to assert things like most black people in jail didn't commit crimes is silly.
A lot to dissect here so...

1. What are political talking points and not facts? The poor treatment of black people by the government? No, those are facts and there are government documents that are public for you to view if you disagree. Just because you refuse to acknowledge any wrong doing by this country doesn't mean it didn't happen.

2. What does the black person being released from jail at a "low bail" have to do with anything? I was talking about for the same crime there is a huge difference between sentencing for blacks than whites. That's also fact. Whenever you have a judge that says I know a criminal when I SEE one then there is a huge problem. Also, if you are referring to the young man in Texas that was being bullied and was beat up the day he shot at a school, then I don't believe the judge would believe he would be a threat to a community.

3. If you want to talk about riots last year then you should think of the huge riot at the capitol where they tried to overthrow the government, and how many are facing serious time. Remember there's a difference between vandalism and attempting to capture and kill government officials.

4. You brought up media outlets which I listen to all points of view and disagree with both sides dependent on the topics. I just find it funny that most people that find it so hard to believe the government has been crooked against black people are MAINLY the same ones that believe conspiracy theories about the government with covid vaccine. No, if the country is so virtuous and fair to everyone they would never harm it's people right?

5. You touched on the basics of the history of black people in this country which is mainly how and why they got here, but the problem is no one wants to discuss why they are the position they are in. No one is saying that every black in jail isn't supposed to be there, but to understand the circumstances they were purposely put in and why the cycle keeps happening is not much. Imagine someone robbing you of everything you own, you retaliate by taking it back and are sent to prison for the rest of your life and are labeled an animal. Then, when you try to let the public know why you did what you did, you are silenced and everyone just goes on to say you are dumb for putting yourself in that situation.

Old 11-20-2021, 04:28 AM

Bluefield State College in West Virginia is an interesting HBCU that is 80 % white and has retained is HBCU status.. I know of many white students who go to HBCUs on scholarship .. not "minority" per se but often athletic as many of these schools look to diversify their sports...especially in sports like volleyball and womens soccer. A second string place kicker may not be able to get into a large state university on an athletic scholarship but receive one at an HBC and become a welcome addition to their special teams.

I also think the "T" in CRT offends some people.. Theory implies that its some academic's opinion or product of some Harvard Think Tank or the Brookings Institute ...which offends a certain segment of the population. That fact that its called a Theory inherently invites challenges even though it may very well be backed up with historical facts and the various agencies historically involved have admitted it. Many of the government programs that were created such as affordable housing, affirmative action were designed to make up the ground lost by some of these groups who were marginalized by said policies.. Were these programs perfect.. nope.. did they need to be changed and modified over time... for sure. The problem is as in most things.. politicos get involved and exploit if for base politics on both sides of the aisle and the positive intensions get lost along the way.

I spoke to a young Nigerian college student once who immigrated from Nigeria to go to school here in the USA. He was angry at African Americans because he believed that in there is a lot of opportunity in America and the collective has not taken full advantage of it.. After we discussed how Nigeria too fought a civil war and discrimination there is based on ethic group and religion.. I found that he was mostly oblivious to most of the institutional racism in the USA that we have been discussing above beyond the institution of slavery and the MLK Civil Rights struggle... which...ironically is often the focus of what is taught in most American schools (disclaimer: at least when I was in school ) My point being.. without that context.. how many people born in the USA or immigrating to the USA would draw the same conclusions without the benefit of context. Again, people have to make individual decisions on how to improve their lives but government should help that happen where appropriate or get out of the way where also appropriate.. as opposed to being the one to cause those problems.. To the extent that government was complicit.. the collective "we" as Americans need to understand it and let those lessons guide us in our future endeavors. I think liberals and conservatives should be able to agree on that...and THAT is where the conversation should start...

Last edited by Woodlands; 11-20-2021 at 04:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area