Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2021, 02:08 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times

Advertisements

SC changed politics when LBJ signed the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Ask yourself why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 08:51 AM

1,290 posts, read 782,504 times
The south was already shifting Republican due to transplants. The new south cities had more Republican transplants.

That is why LBJ went along with civil rights in 60s after opposing them earlier.

Johngolf and most Democrats assert there was a big switch but only one senator, Strom Thurmond , and an obscure congressman switched. There is no reason to believe they switched for racist reasons.

Old 11-29-2021, 02:39 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
The south was already shifting Republican due to transplants. The new south cities had more Republican transplants.

That is why LBJ went along with civil rights in 60s after opposing them earlier.

Johngolf and most Democrats assert there was a big switch but only one senator, Strom Thurmond , and an obscure congressman switched. There is no reason to believe they switched for racist reasons.
When I said switched, I meant the voting populace and it was for racial reasons though few admit it. Msny cover it by saying States Rights. Sound like a familiar argument?

Old 11-29-2021, 07:40 PM

A few months ago, you said the Democrat segregationist politicians switched to the GOP until I pointed out that isn't true. That was a big historic fact that you got wrong. Basically every person with your views gets that wrong.

This is one of the core beliefs / assertions of CRT advocates and one of the big reasons it should not be taught in schools. The people who get this wrong are generally the same people who beat up on SC public schools. It is as bad as not knowing which party Lincoln represented.

I've noticed every time that I have mentioned Tim Scott on here, people like you ignore it. Based on what you said, all your side had to do was run a white guy against him and he loses.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 11-29-2021 at 08:15 PM..

Old 11-30-2021, 07:18 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
CRT aside

I wonder in Rickenmann is going to push to have Richland 1 and 2 combined? That would be a unified school district of nearly 50k students. At first I thought that may be too large but I saw that Greenville County School District has over 70k students Charleston 48k and Horry 43k if I am reading the numbers correctly. So Richland would only be the third largest in the state. I think merging the districts and somehow lowering the school property tax rate would make Richland County and the City more competitive along with allowing better distribution of students not to mention closing/merging failing schools...

If Northern Richland is move from Eau Claire to Westwood and Blythewood.. that would open up Fairfield Road and Monticello to development. I would turn Eau Claire into a fine arts school and link them up with the fine arts programs at Benedict and USC but split the students that are not interested in those programs between Keenan, Westwood, and maybe AC Flora. The feeder schools like Alcorn and Gibbs would remain but some of the elementary schools like Thomas, Forest Heights, and Arden may need to be shifted around especially if things take off in north Richland... that would impact Forest Heights which is on Fairfield Road and the only elementary school in that area.. Some of the kids in any new development may have to go over into schools in the Richland 2 area depending on capacity.

I may have mentioned that this occurred in Sumter with the merger of Sumter 2 and 17 which allowed development to continue westward and NW towards Shaw AFB as those areas were formerly in Sumter Dist 2 which was considered less desirable compared to Dist 17 (Sumter High). Some of the new lines were drawn to include Sumter High and those areas began to rapidly (by Sumter standards) develop

Old 11-30-2021, 08:23 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
A few months ago, you said the Democrat segregationist politicians switched to the GOP until I pointed out that isn't true. That was a big historic fact that you got wrong. Basically every person with your views gets that wrong.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...615322624.html

Old 11-30-2021, 08:44 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Indeed... switching parties and "take overs" are about as American as Baseball and Capitalism itself. Dixiecrats took over the Republican Party. Trump took over the Republican Party and he himself was likely once/or atleast supported Democrats.. Progressives attempted to take over the Democratic Party... Tea Party attempted to take over the Republican Party. Some politicos switch parties when they see the demographics of their district changing or some new political advantage... now they just simply retire rather than get beat in a primary. We live in a 24hr new cycle and their opponent would just show news clips of them before they "switched" and beat them up with it using a biased news networks.. Back in the day you would have to run millions of dollars in political ads to remind voters that this person "switched"... today you can just tweet, blog, and run video clips, etc to remind voters of who they were before they switch...so why go through the hassle.. just get out of the game .. which is what happens rather than try to explain yourself

Old 11-30-2021, 08:51 AM

The Dixiecrats didn't take over the Republican party. That's a lie. The Democrats start off by saying there was a big switch and cite Strom Thurmond switching. When it is pointed out to them most of the Democrats / Dixiecrats politicians did not switch, they insist there was still a big switch among the voters.

If the Dixiecrats took over the GOP, why doesn't the party push for segregation? Why is Tim SCott our senator?

The big switch theory is race baiting as is CRT.

Most of the segregationists were fiscal liberals.

If the Dixiecrats took over the party, how did the GOP end up with Nixon, Reagan, the Bushes, Romney, McCain, Trump as candidates. They were all from outside of the south. The Bushes were from New England.

All of the recent white Democrat candidates including LBJ have had ties to segregationists except perhaps John Kerry. Al Gore was the son of the segregationist senator who filibustered the Civil Rights Act.

There's a reason why Democrats in this state gush over Ernest Hollings and erected a statue of him in Charleston.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 11-30-2021 at 09:09 AM..

Old 11-30-2021, 09:12 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
There's a reason why Democrats in this state gush over Ernest Hollings and erected a statue of him in Charleston.
Why do Democrats gush over Hollings? And you keep harping on a statue that very few folks have even seen in person. But you won't mention the statue of Thurmond on Statehouse grounds and the crudely-etched name of his secret half-Black daughter under the names of his White children with his wife, will you?

Old 11-30-2021, 09:17 AM

Every liberal newspaper in the state ran gushing articles about Hollings when he passed.

Our current president loved Strom Thurmond, Fritz Hollings, Robert Byrd and other segregationists. He made gushing comments at their publicized funerals. Those gushing comments would be called 'dog whistles' by CRT advocates if a Republican made them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area