Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2021, 04:22 PM

1,290 posts, read 786,914 times

Advertisements

The majority of Democratic segregationists did not switch including Al Gore's father and Robert Byrd. Both men filibustered the civil rights act. Robert Byrd has been in a leadership role in the KKK. You don't explain why they didn't switch.

Both Helms and Thurmond were more fiscally conservative and anti-Soviet Union than the other segregationists. Helms stated that he never supported segregation. According to the Jesse Helms Center, he did a editorial on a tv or radio show praising the smooth integration of architecture student Harvey Gantt at Clemson University. The Jesse Helms Center provides a 'Setting the Record Straight' article if you are interested. I don't know if their take is accurate or not. Joe Biden loved Jesse Helms along with Strom Thurmond.

Keep in mind the south was in a state of transition and Republicans could not always run a pure candidate especially given most black voters went for the Democratic Party starting with FDR. It makes sense to think about these things in terms of political science. The Confederate flag came down off the state house and later off the state house grounds with two Republican governors. This happened soon after the GOP won the trifecta of state government for the first time in 2000 or so. I believe Governor Beasley had switched from the Democratic party.

Lastly, you don't detail the racist elements of the GOP platform that would entice segregationists to flock en bloc to the GOP. You don't explain why highly educated and accomplished black men like Clarence Thomas, Ben Carson. Thomas Sowell, Water Williams, Tim Scott, Hershel Walker, Larry Elder, etc don't view the GOP as racist.

As I've pointed out, the 'New South" cities in the south that switched to GOP first had more Republican transplants than other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2021, 06:48 AM

37,895 posts, read 42,027,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
The majority of Democratic segregationists did not switch including Al Gore's father and Robert Byrd. Both men filibustered the civil rights act. Robert Byrd has been in a leadership role in the KKK. You don't explain why they didn't switch.

Both Helms and Thurmond were more fiscally conservative and anti-Soviet Union than the other segregationists. Helms stated that he never supported segregation. According to the Jesse Helms Center, he did a editorial on a tv or radio show praising the smooth integration of architecture student Harvey Gantt at Clemson University. The Jesse Helms Center provides a 'Setting the Record Straight' article if you are interested. I don't know if their take is accurate or not. Joe Biden loved Jesse Helms along with Strom Thurmond.

Keep in mind the south was in a state of transition and Republicans could not always run a pure candidate especially given most black voters went for the Democratic Party starting with FDR. It makes sense to think about these things in terms of political science. The Confederate flag came down off the state house and later off the state house grounds with two Republican governors. This happened soon after the GOP won the trifecta of state government for the first time in 2000 or so. I believe Governor Beasley had switched from the Democratic party.

Lastly, you don't detail the racist elements of the GOP platform that would entice segregationists to flock en bloc to the GOP. You don't explain why highly educated and accomplished black men like Clarence Thomas, Ben Carson. Thomas Sowell, Water Williams, Tim Scott, Hershel Walker, Larry Elder, etc don't view the GOP as racist.

As I've pointed out, the 'New South" cities in the south that switched to GOP first had more Republican transplants than other areas.
You just sat here and defended Jesse Helms, an unrepentant racist until death, and with lies no less. In a response to a Black dude.

Disgusting and shameless on your part. Nothing more even needs to be said.

Old 12-03-2021, 08:25 AM

I don't know much about Jesse Helms other than Democratic voters typically list him as evidence of a big switch along with Thurmond and Nixon.

It looks like he retired in 2002. His main priorities as a Republican senator appeared to be prolife, lower taxes, and anti-Soviet union policy. I don't think he or Strom advocated segregation as Republicans.

Keep in mind the GOP did not win a trifecta of the NC state government until 2013.

Democratics had mostly three branches of government in NC between 1993 and 2010, and no less than two.

I note you have not listed any contemporary examples of Republican racists or detailed the similarities between the GOP today and the segregation era Democratics.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:04 PM

8,252 posts, read 13,387,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaccinated Masker View Post
The Dixiecrats didn't take over the Republican party. That's a lie. The Democrats start off by saying there was a big switch and cite Strom Thurmond switching. When it is pointed out to them most of the Democrats / Dixiecrats politicians did not switch, they insist there was still a big switch among the voters.

If the Dixiecrats took over the GOP, why doesn't the party push for segregation? Why is Tim SCott our senator?

The big switch theory is race baiting as is CRT.

Most of the segregationists were fiscal liberals.

If the Dixiecrats took over the party, how did the GOP end up with Nixon, Reagan, the Bushes, Romney, McCain, Trump as candidates. They were all from outside of the south. The Bushes were from New England.

All of the recent white Democrat candidates including LBJ have had ties to segregationists except perhaps John Kerry. Al Gore was the son of the segregationist senator who filibustered the Civil Rights Act.

There's a reason why Democrats in this state gush over Ernest Hollings and erected a statue of him in Charleston.
Does CRT even focus on political parties or just on government policies?

I doubt anyone in Congress ....Democrat, Republican or Independent would stand in the well of Congress and say that they support/supported Segregation or racism so you have to focus on their actions, policies that they support or enact.. which should be the focus of the public debate

To your point , people on both side of the aisle have had varying positions on race and have evolved switched parties or simply left public office, or just died depending on their State politics and the era /age. GOP like any other party as evolved over the decades.. Is a "Nixon" Republican the same as a "Reagan" Republican "Bush" Republican or a "Trump" Republican?

Where would Senator Scott fall within this spectrum of Republicans when he first took office and now?.I would suspect he was heavily influenced by the Reagan and Bush dynasty in the development of his political ideology and identity. Is that the same GOP of today...? There are some similarities but there are also some stark differences for sure. Some would also say there were policy shifts between Carter, Clinton and Obama as well...but ironically the Dems dont seem to be able to silo their presidents as neatly as the GOP other than the moniker Reagan Democrats

Last edited by Woodlands; 12-03-2021 at 12:27 PM..

Old 12-03-2021, 04:10 PM

What are the oppressive policies today? CRT teaches minorities are being oppressed.

Old 12-03-2021, 08:11 PM

8,252 posts, read 13,387,916 times
What policies has CRT identified as being racist and oppressive? Real question. And were they government policies or private sector policies like predatory lending etc? If they are stating that Policies are oppressive ... they should have identified which ones and why they are considered as such. The only thing I am aware of is how past policies have contributed to the current state in some communities and we have been discussed at length in this and other threads and are a matter of historical record. Since CRT is not an organization and policies are routinely enacted, modified, and repealed I am not sure how a running tab would be managed and by whom in order to match a lesson plan, but I could be wrong.

Policies, Laws, and Practices...

I had an old professor who used the example of a Traffic Safety Policy which is to insure the safety of motorists, pedestrians and cyclists... yada yada yada, The Law that supports that policy says drive 35mph in town. That Policy and Law are clear and straightforward. The PRACTICE for the town is that officers have the discretion to allow people to do 10mph over the speed limit. How the officer uses that discretion is a different story. They may stop certain types of vehicles or cars from NY State .... There is nothing in the Policy or the Law that discriminates against NYers....but in practice one may feel otherwise especially if they are stopped AND ticketed more so that other drivers. And for this example said town is in NC and not NJ or someplace that inherently gets a lot of Nyers and really despises them LOL

Last edited by Woodlands; 12-03-2021 at 08:37 PM..

Old 12-05-2021, 01:00 PM

CRT is turning young people into Jussie Smollet or similar. I think the message to young people should be you have opportunity in this country but you have to hit the books. Telling young people they are oppressed and the deck is stacked against them isn't helpful or true.

Jussie had everything going for him but he decided to concoct a hate crime against him. If there's so much white racism out there, why did Jussie Smollet have to pay two Nigerians to do a fake hate crime against him? There was no payoff to what Jussie did and he didn't have the self awareness to see his story was implausible. Everybody on the right who heard his claim doubted his story immediately but the CRT people all fell for it or pretended to fall for it.

There's nothing academic about a theory that prevents people from seeing or acknowledging the obvious.

Last edited by Vaccinated Masker; 12-05-2021 at 01:09 PM..

Old 12-08-2021, 12:29 PM

12,939 posts, read 18,794,610 times
The State Newspaper just said this on Facebook in an article about redrawing city council district boundaries.

“With concentrated white population growth downtown, city council must redraw voting boundaries so non-white candidates have a ‘reasonable opportunity’ to be elected in that district”

Old 12-08-2021, 01:22 PM

1,124 posts, read 929,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
The State Newspaper just said this on Facebook in an article about redrawing city council district boundaries.

“With concentrated white population growth downtown, city council must redraw voting boundaries so non-white candidates have a ‘reasonable opportunity’ to be elected in that district”
IMO the best way to do that would be to move those areas into District One (where I live).

Old 12-08-2021, 01:30 PM

12,939 posts, read 18,794,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
IMO the best way to do that would be to move those areas into District One (where I live).
Or voters could leave race out of it when casting their ballots. I don’t think everyone is there yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area