Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 12:02 AM

37 posts, read 145,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
Yeah, what ever happened to the other Walmart that was going to be built out on 15?

And it says a lot when you find out that people from Cola actually drive to Sumter to shop at the mall because there is a better selection of urban wear...

Nobody is suggesting Sumter go high-end, as some have eluded to, but a little progression and development couldn't hurt. A Target out at 378/441 isn't going to ruin Sumter. A book store isn't going to ruin Sumter. Heck, even back home in Parkersburg, WV they put in a full Borders; and even though it's the 4th largest city in WV it's still only half the population of Sumter. I just got back from there yesterday and it's still the same ol' Parkersburg it always was, despite the addition of Borders. A Circuit City (well, maybe Best Buy now) isn't going to ruin Sumter.

I don't mind taking the girls to Cola if they want to do a shopping trip or if I/we want to hit a specialty store, but I hate having to drive there every time I need something more specific than dog food or milk.
why cant sumter build up some stuff out this way-tons of people live out this way also-we want to shop/eat too-without driving way out broad/378 and beyond areas-uptown sumter they try to revitalize but there is nowhere to sit and eat cept what 1 drug store-there was a nice little place across from the court house area cant remember the name"kathrens"maybe-but there was nowhere to park so it closed-old sumter town is a lost cause.but we want a ihop,a golden corral,a walmart,lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 01:05 PM

843 posts, read 2,746,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddintang View Post
why cant sumter build up some stuff out this way-tons of people live out this way also-we want to shop/eat too-without driving way out broad/378 and beyond areas
Out *which* way? Towards/around Shaw? If that's what you mean, then I would agree. 2 of the 3 (which used to be 3 of 4) Shaw gates put them coming in and leaving through this side (West) of base, and there is a lot of thru-traffic in this area. Especially 378/441 intersection, where you also have commuters heading out of the area towards McEntire, Jackson or Columbia (which is why I've said, for years, that corner needs a coffee/breakfast stop; they've since built the new McD's, but it's not the same as a DD/KK/Starbucks/etc).

I understand sprawl is the name of the game these days, and a lot of people don't like that, but they don't have to stretch everything out from Sumter to Shaw. There's already an existing businesses on 3 of those 4 corners, so they could tighten it up and keep it centralized to that general area.

As you mentioned, there are a lot of us that live out here. Half of Dalzell is on this side and they've been building more and more out this way in recent years (several developments out Patriot Parkway, they're building a new one on 441 just past Tim's, 2 new ones on Raccoon Rd and a 3rd being cleared out, etc). Then there's the folks in Wedgefield, Eastover, and all the other small pockets between Sumter & SE Cola. Not only that, but the AF personnel waste half of their lunch break just getting to town and back, let alone the time needed to actually consume the food.

They don't have to turn it into a 2nd Sumter, but some time-saving options would be nice. A Target or 2nd Walmart; if they ever rekindle the Home Depot idea, they could locate it out here; Chic-fil-A & Taco Bell (these are probably 2 of the most visited fast food restaurants in Sumter and both are in high-traffic, difficult to navigate locations; adding second locations out here would not only lighten the burden on those 2 spots, but would also give the airmen & pilots lunch options closer to work); etc.

Instead of trying to pretty up Sumter with new development like they have been over the last 2-3 years, maybe they should be looking at the area around Shaw as their potential "Harbison of Sumter".

Old 07-16-2011, 11:04 PM

37 posts, read 145,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
Out *which* way? Towards/around Shaw? If that's what you mean, then I would agree. 2 of the 3 (which used to be 3 of 4) Shaw gates put them coming in and leaving through this side (West) of base, and there is a lot of thru-traffic in this area. Especially 378/441 intersection, where you also have commuters heading out of the area towards McEntire, Jackson or Columbia (which is why I've said, for years, that corner needs a coffee/breakfast stop; they've since built the new McD's, but it's not the same as a DD/KK/Starbucks/etc).

I understand sprawl is the name of the game these days, and a lot of people don't like that, but they don't have to stretch everything out from Sumter to Shaw. There's already an existing businesses on 3 of those 4 corners, so they could tighten it up and keep it centralized to that general area.

As you mentioned, there are a lot of us that live out here. Half of Dalzell is on this side and they've been building more and more out this way in recent years (several developments out Patriot Parkway, they're building a new one on 441 just past Tim's, 2 new ones on Raccoon Rd and a 3rd being cleared out, etc). Then there's the folks in Wedgefield, Eastover, and all the other small pockets between Sumter & SE Cola. Not only that, but the AF personnel waste half of their lunch break just getting to town and back, let alone the time needed to actually consume the food.

They don't have to turn it into a 2nd Sumter, but some time-saving options would be nice. A Target or 2nd Walmart; if they ever rekindle the Home Depot idea, they could locate it out here; Chic-fil-A & Taco Bell (these are probably 2 of the most visited fast food restaurants in Sumter and both are in high-traffic, difficult to navigate locations; adding second locations out here would not only lighten the burden on those 2 spots, but would also give the airmen & pilots lunch options closer to work); etc.

Instead of trying to pretty up Sumter with new development like they have been over the last 2-3 years, maybe they should be looking at the area around Shaw as their potential "Harbison of Sumter".
i meant 378 toward the beach instead of everything towards columbia and shaw-lots of people live out here also.we mainly head on over to florence to shop and eat-plus cant beat the cracker barrel!,lol

Old 07-17-2011, 02:37 PM

83 posts, read 276,336 times
Old Sumter is small, narrow, crowded, and obsolete. The economy won't support flattening the bad areas so nothing will change quickly. Meanwhile, the Third Army will be a long-term boost even if the F-35 buy is cut. Developers could make serious money putting MODERN stores and restaurants near Shaw on the Columbia side. Buy out a trailer park or two and scrape 'em flat. A Sonic, a decent Mexican restaurant like Panchos on 15 South (good and CHEAP) instead of a Taco He11, and certainly a Home Depot (which is rated very Veteran friendly as an employer) would enhance the area. If enough land could be gotten on 441 behind the base it could be a great location. Since troops make enough to afford decent housing,there is no need for the trailer park behind the Time Off. Flatten it and add a mall. 441 is a tired area whose time is past. Wipe and reload. No civilian "po' folks" housing is needed near the base. The way to preserve the base is to fight crime by making sure the trash don't live nearby.
Quote:
What is the future of the Sumter economy? Is there a proactive plan to educate workers and attract employers for any certain industry?
There is excellent worker training at Central Carolina, who do custom workforce training classes. There is plenty of industrial floor space. Trolling for a "certain" industry risks stupid mistakes like the Biopure fiasco. Being OPEN to most industries makes more sense, and the local government should avoid thinking it's competent at business.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rophlmao
Developers could make serious money putting MODERN stores and restaurants near Shaw on the Columbia side.
That's what I meant, Rophlmao. They've been putting in the newer, nicer buildings like the one in front of Walmart with Mon Cafe, the PetSmart/5 Guys complex, a new Cookout, etc, and these seem like wasted efforts (not to mention, they keep putting these in locations that are already becoming problem areas for traffic, which is only going to aid in further congesting those streets). It seems like a wiser (not to mention a more sound investment) decision to locate these developments out at the 378/441 intersection. This should be the new focus for Sumter area developers.

Quote:
a decent Mexican restaurant like Panchos on 15 South (good and CHEAP) instead of a Taco He11
Hey, I like Toxic H3ll! ;c) I've never been to Panchos, though. What about a Del Taco? Something Columbia doesn't have (there's one in Rock Hill now, which is the first I've seen on this side of the Rockies), like the new Cookout, which serves to help us stand up and say "We're our own city, not just a suburb of Cola". I'm not a big franchise guy (the exceptions being Cookout, Smithfields, and maybe 1 or 2 others) and would prefer to support local business (one glance at my Yelp account would tell you all you need to know about that), but Mexican food is kind of different in that it all seems to the same (it seems like they even build their menu around the nation-wide standard). There is occasionally a place that stands out, like Real Mexico on Bush River Rd, but that's rare. But something similar to a Flaming Amy's Burrito Barn (Wilmington, NC) would be cool, and unique.

I'll have to check out Panchos. I just checked their Yelp reviews and the very first thing mentioned, like I just stated, is "Same menu as every other Mexican restaurant in the world"...

Quote:
If enough land could be gotten on 441 behind the base it could be a great location.
I agree that the land on Peach Orchard Road is tired and needs new life breathed into it, which is why I can't figure out why there are so many vacant buildings along there. Why aren't businesses taking advantage of these locations? Anyone that spends any amount of time on 441 will know that there is plenty of thru-traffic to support retail, restaurants, or whatever else they want to put in. Even the new buildings they've put in down near the intersection have remained empty, aside from a Dollar General. Is it because they're asking too much for these spaces?

I think a good use of one or more of these spaces would be a 24-hour fitness center (not the 24-Hour franchise, specifically, but any one with 24-hour access)aimed more at the military wives who might be too intimidated to use the very nice facility on-base.

A mall...? I might have to disagree with you there. Strip malls, fine, but an indoor mall is going to be a place for those with nothing better to do to congregate. Idle hands, and all that...

I wish I had the money to invest in Sumter, because I certainly want to see it succeed!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:25 PM

I'd also like to see, especially once 3rd Army is in-place, US Patriot (born in Columbia) expand to Sumter around Shaw.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:02 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
The reason why Sumter hasnt grown to the east is, in part, because there is no infrastructure (water sewer) Why no infrastructure? Go back to the name of the thread....The powers that be own the land on the westside of the City out towards Shaw so that's where the City has been concentrating its infrastructure. That plus the fact that Shaw is a natural magnet for development is the reason why the growth is going out that way in addition to the fact that its a major commuter highway to Columbia.. East of town.. all you have is turbeville(which isnt much) and I-95...no major employment centers or "destinations" so thus it remains fallow.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:03 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
I'll restate my contention that Sumter is held back by a massive outflow of money, and these conversations about which chains Sumter should get elucidate a big part of the root of that problem. Not only does Sumter lack industry bringing money into the area, it's also constantly clamoring for chain businesses that are a huge funnel sucking money OUT of the area. Walmart doesn't give a rip about Sumter, but Sumter sure loves it some Walmart.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:13 PM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Interesting article about redistricting in Sumter. Seems like it could get a little heated. It appears Sumter is still under some Justice Department Court Order to have racially balanced Council Districts? I would have thought that Sumter would have evolved beyond that but I guess the FEDs think it is still necessary? Are there any other MAJOR SC Cities that are under this same type of scrutiny?? Sad that it is still needed because it certainly goes into the 'Whats holding Sumter Back' Column if we cant find ways to govern together and vote for the best candidate as opposed to what someone looks like

County council begins early talks on redistricting - The Item: Local News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area