Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:02 AM

12,918 posts, read 18,765,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto_Guy View Post
Hey, that would be a great idea. But I'm not sure Columbia is even on IKEA's radar right now, but it's still a good idea nonetheless. Forest Acres could use that tax revenue.
Some people thought Columbia wasn't on Whole Foods' radar screen.

Last edited by Charlestondata; 07-08-2011 at 05:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 05:41 AM

257 posts, read 327,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Some people thought Columbiawasn't on Whole Foods' radar screen.
But look at the cities that Whole Foods is in versus the ones that IKEA is in. That's where the difference lies. Outside of Florida, there are only two IKEA stores in the southeast: Atlanta and Charlotte. I'm pretty sure there are other larger southeastern cities in line first for an IKEA store before Columbia.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:40 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto_Guy View Post
But look at the cities that Whole Foods is in versus the ones that IKEA is in. That's where the difference lies. Outside of Florida, there are only two IKEA stores in the southeast: Atlanta and Charlotte. I'm pretty sure there are other larger southeastern cities in line first for an IKEA store before Columbia.
Very true. Also, doesn't IKEA pretty much always use purpose-built structures? I've seen IKEAs on two continents and they pretty much always look the same: Giant blue behemoth looming in the distance. Not sure where an existing structure in an inner ring suburb-thats-barely-a-suburb would fit into that....

(Plus, surprise surprise, I'm a big proponent of American-made furniture, so I've all but sworn off IKEA.)

Old 07-08-2011, 12:01 PM

257 posts, read 327,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Very true. Also, doesn't IKEA pretty much always use purpose-built structures? I've seen IKEAs on two continents and they pretty much always look the same: Giant blue behemoth looming in the distance. Not sure where an existing structure in an inner ring suburb-thats-barely-a-suburb would fit into that....
Yeah, you have a point. Maybe they could build one on Bush River Road; it could certainly use a shot in the arm like that. *shudder*

Old 07-08-2011, 02:30 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,486 times
I personally don't see what the big deal is about IKEA. It's mostly crappy furniture, some of which is affordable for the college-aged and 20-something crowd. I suppose it's become somewhat of a status symbol because they have strict standards about where they locate. But other than that, I don't see it.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:44 PM

12,918 posts, read 18,765,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I personally don't see what the big deal is about IKEA. It's mostly crappy furniture, some of which is affordable for the college-aged and 20-something crowd. I suppose it's become somewhat of a status symbol because they have strict standards about where they locate. But other than that, I don't see it.
That could be said about pretty much every big-name trendy national chain around.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:44 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I agree...I am not sure why IKEA is so popular. I have the same reaction to Trader Joes. Although interesting, TJ is in no way upscale, just trendy. But, the Charlotte IKEA seems to have a trade area stretching down to Charleston and into Virginia. So, a lot of people like it.

As for a SC store, IKEA typically looks at a metro with at least 2m people. Retailers can change their requirements or store sizes to fit smaller metros but, unless things change, I don't see one in SC anytime soon.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,389,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
I agree...I am not sure why IKEA is so popular. I have the same reaction to Trader Joes. Although interesting, TJ is in no way upscale, just trendy. But, the Charlotte IKEA seems to have a trade area stretching down to Charleston and into Virginia. So, a lot of people like it.
Why would something have to be upscale to be popular? I'd imagine the opposite would be true.

People (myself included) like Trader Joe's because you can get the sort of thing you'd pay 8 dollars for at Whole Foods or 7 dollars for at Publix for 3 dollars. It's not much more complicated than that. The cheese, wine, and frozen seafood sections alone are worth the price of admission.

While I'm not keen on IKEA, they're popular because they offer style and function (though rarely durability) for pennies on the dollar compared to what you'd pay at even mid- to low-end chain stores. It's all cheap crap, but at IKEA it tends to be nicer cheap crap than what you'd pay the same or more for at WalMart or Target.

In both cases, it's a hint of style and/or class that people can actually afford. That's what makes something popular (in the truest sense of the word), does it not?

Old 07-08-2011, 05:25 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,670,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Why would something have to be upscale to be popular? I'd imagine the opposite would be true.

People (myself included) like Trader Joe's because you can get the sort of thing you'd pay 8 dollars for at Whole Foods or 7 dollars for at Publix for 3 dollars. It's not much more complicated than that. The cheese, wine, and frozen seafood sections alone are worth the price of admission.

While I'm not keen on IKEA, they're popular because they offer style and function (though rarely durability) for pennies on the dollar compared to what you'd pay at even mid- to low-end chain stores. It's all cheap crap, but at IKEA it tends to be nicer cheap crap than what you'd pay the same or more for at WalMart or Target.

In both cases, it's a hint of style and/or class that people can actually afford. That's what makes something popular (in the truest sense of the word), does it not?
While you did not mention trendy it is a word that came to my mind. In our first new home, we actually ordered yellow appliances and shag carpeting....LOL

I have often said if one becomes successful there are 3 ecomomic stages:

1st. One can afford only the basics so cost plays the major role. The $12.00 Chicken Pot Pie at Whole foods is out of their reach but the $4.99 one at WalMart will fill me up

2nd. One can afford the best. Cost plays a minor role. They do not eat Chicken Pot Pies

3rd. One can still afford better/best but they then look for value for the dollar. Cost becomes a factor, but not the deciding factor. The $12.00 Chicken Pot Pie at Whole Foods is the best.

I hope/wish all go thru the 3 stages. If so, I may well see you at both WalMart (not for their Chicken Pot Pie) and Whole foods (for their Chicken Pot Pie) in the same day....LOL

Last edited by accufitgolf; 07-08-2011 at 05:37 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 03:56 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan
People (myself included) like Trader Joe's because you can get the sort of thing you'd pay 8 dollars for at Whole Foods or 7 dollars for at Publix for 3 dollars. It's not much more complicated than that.
Err... my last trip to TJ's cost me $27 just for items to make burritos for myself. Every trip there has been similar. I like Trader Joe's for a number of reasons, but cost savings isn't one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area