Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 01:04 PM

1,477 posts, read 2,198,013 times

Advertisements

I know that the title of the thread starts with the word confused. I must admit that I am somewhat confused why RNGAnderson revived this old thread just to cite demographics .

I know many people who live in Lake Carolina, Woodcreek Farms, Wildewood, etc who just state that they live in the NE. I do it myself. Who knows, it could be a "transplant thing." I actually say that about Blythewood as well. However, I do not find Blythewood to be more appealing than the aforementioned neighborhoods. Blythewood is way too rural for my taste. And, if I had to choose between living in Blythewood and the heart of the city of Columbia, then I would choose the heart of the city. Again, that is just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2016, 01:41 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Ah.. that is what Im getting at... The only places that I have heard people say specifically they live without the NE moniker that are actually IN the NE are.. The Summit(a community more so that a subdivision), Spring Valley, and Lake Carolina(also a community)...maybe there are a few others. Most others simply say "the NE" or now "Blythewood" as opposed to their subdivision unless they are having that conversation at a store in the immediate areas.. then there may be a presumption that people know where XYZ subdivision is....

My only point in all of this comes from a Realtor friend of mine whose opinion is that "the NE" is less attractive desirable etc.. than "Blythewood" from a marketing perspective. Why they feel that way goes back to things like perception of schools, newer housing stock, perception of lower crime (compared to Blythewood..not that crime in the NE is high)and the fact that Blythewood is an actual town..something that I believe their officials may play up in the future... I think as time goes on the fault line between the NE and Blythewood will become more defined.. UNLESS.. the actual Town of Blythewood begins to annex the unincorporated NE..which could propel it to being within the top five largest cities in the State and they would then get their own Forum on City Data.
Not to split hairs and I well understand people naming their neighborhood like Spring Valley, Lake Carolina (Shandon, etc.) to differentiate where they live, but both those neighborhoods are in Columbia and a real estate agent like it or not, they are in NE Columbia. They ain't in Blythewood which is NE of Columbia..........LOL

Like I live in so and so town but next to so and so town. This has been going on for years. I recently heard someone say, I live in Cayce but on the Lexington side.

Old 01-13-2016, 02:13 PM

8,235 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Not to split hairs and I well understand people naming their neighborhood like Spring Valley, Lake Carolina (Shandon, etc.) to differentiate where they live, but both those neighborhoods are in Columbia and a real estate agent like it or not, they are in NE Columbia. They ain't in Blythewood which is NE of Columbia..........LOL

Like I live in so and so town but next to so and so town. This has been going on for years. I recently heard someone say, I live in Cayce but on the Lexington side.

One reason why things are "confusing" is that all of those subdivision are in what most call "Columbia" and may have a Columbia Zip Code.. BUT they are not inside of the Columbia City Limits simply unincorporated Richland County. There are parts of the NE that are in the City Limits.. but mainly over towards Percival Road and I-20 (Green Hill Parish, Woodcreek and such) off of the far eastern end of Clemson Road/Bookman Roads. Ft Jackson is in the City Limits which enabled the City to annex these "high dollar" subdivisions.. In fact the Mayor lives in one of them.

The Lexington side of Cayce presents another conundrum...the Cayce City Limits extend into Richland County down around Bluff Road/I-77 around some of the new student housing developments and the former Blue Diamond development. The "Lexington side" since Cayce is in Lexington County, likely points to the potion of Cayce that is outside of I-26.. thus closer to the town of Lexington.. that's just may guess...>LOL.. Most people in the Columbia metro go by their postal code as to what "city" they live though they may not actually live in that City at all. Note that Forest Acres and Arcadia Lakes are both Cities but do not have a postal code thus are considered "Columbia" though their residents will bark otherwise....

Old 01-13-2016, 04:10 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
One reason why things are "confusing" is that all of those subdivision are in what most call "Columbia" and may have a Columbia Zip Code.. BUT they are not inside of the Columbia City Limits simply unincorporated Richland County. There are parts of the NE that are in the City Limits.. but mainly over towards Percival Road and I-20 (Green Hill Parish, Woodcreek and such) off of the far eastern end of Clemson Road/Bookman Roads. Ft Jackson is in the City Limits which enabled the City to annex these "high dollar" subdivisions.. In fact the Mayor lives in one of them.

The Lexington side of Cayce presents another conundrum...the Cayce City Limits extend into Richland County down around Bluff Road/I-77 around some of the new student housing developments and the former Blue Diamond development. The "Lexington side" since Cayce is in Lexington County, likely points to the potion of Cayce that is outside of I-26.. thus closer to the town of Lexington.. that's just may guess...>LOL.. Most people in the Columbia metro go by their postal code as to what "city" they live though they may not actually live in that City at all. Note that Forest Acres and Arcadia Lakes are both Cities but do not have a postal code thus are considered "Columbia" though their residents will bark otherwise....
I live in Lexington but not in the city. I am in Lexington County but my address Is Lexington SC 29073. Only time I know of a difference is when it comes to police. We are covered by Lexington County Sheriff, not by the Lexington City Police. Other than that, rarely will anyone differentiate

Old 01-15-2016, 10:16 AM

8,235 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I live in Lexington but not in the city. I am in Lexington County but my address Is Lexington SC 29073. Only time I know of a difference is when it comes to police. We are covered by Lexington County Sheriff, not by the Lexington City Police. Other than that, rarely will anyone differentiate

Yeah if you were in the City (or Town) of Lexington.. your tax bill may be slightly higher for a similar size/valued home depending no their tax rate

Old 09-09-2016, 06:28 PM

7 posts, read 15,916 times
Hi everyone. I don't think Jkwing is being a racist. I am a black. Half African and half Lebanese..Arabic. I have been in America for 10 years in California. I am moving to Columbia in November looking to buy a home. I myself when I come across a zip code especially 29203 and it's all black Americans I don't want it because I want to be safe. Since I have been living in America it is always the areas with lots of blacks with more fighting, and stealing..cops always there. Also, if I come across zip code with all whites or just few blacks I don't want it because the white men are crazy and I don't mean all of them. they have peeping toms and stalkers crazy on their heads and the white men will just blow up their heads or family heads when they can't take the pain any longer they not as strong like blacks to handle hard life. Where there is all Mexicans...DRUGS! Please would someone let me know where I would find racial mix to buy a home. I don't care about the school because I don't have kids but I need a middle class area quite and clean to buy. What about the Carolina lake subdivision in the 29229 or the Lexington area..I am also looking in the Imro area. I am single don't want the night life area or too old people area. And please don't get upset with the gentleman..where there is more blacks than white or all blacks there is always problems. THE TRUTH! The whites just doing it behind close doors.

Last edited by 0224Julia; 09-09-2016 at 06:44 PM..

Old 09-09-2016, 08:15 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0224Julia View Post
Hi everyone. I don't think Jkwing is being a racist. I am a black. Half African and half Lebanese..Arabic. I have been in America for 10 years in California. I am moving to Columbia in November looking to buy a home. I myself when I come across a zip code especially 29203 and it's all black Americans I don't want it because I want to be safe. Since I have been living in America it is always the areas with lots of blacks with more fighting, and stealing..cops always there. Also, if I come across zip code with all whites or just few blacks I don't want it because the white men are crazy and I don't mean all of them. they have peeping toms and stalkers crazy on their heads and the white men will just blow up their heads or family heads when they can't take the pain any longer they not as strong like blacks to handle hard life. Where there is all Mexicans...DRUGS! Please would someone let me know where I would find racial mix to buy a home. I don't care about the school because I don't have kids but I need a middle class area quite and clean to buy. What about the Carolina lake subdivision in the 29229 or the Lexington area..I am also looking in the Imro area. I am single don't want the night life area or too old people area. And please don't get upset with the gentleman..where there is more blacks than white or all blacks there is always problems. THE TRUTH! The whites just doing it behind close doors.
I live in 29203 because it's a very diverse area; I find that you're painting it with a broad brush. Crime generally happens in greater degrees in lower income areas and it has nothing to do with race.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:08 AM

100 posts, read 144,769 times
I watch the news and most of the crime they report is from the NE Columbia.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:13 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Over 100,000 people live in NE Columbia. 29203 isn't NE Columbia.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:27 PM

7 posts, read 15,916 times
I am confused. How come the zip code 29204 says more blacks and also the same zip code 29204 by the Forest Hills subdivision says more whites and no blacks. They both the same zip code. Would someone please explain to me? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area