Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 PM

275 posts, read 416,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
What if he waited, didn't kill any and they killed people in the process? What would people be saying about the guy then? Just curious about what would've occured if a kid was walking to a friends house near by and was killed by one of those animals?
I think if I had the choice of being held responsible for killing those animals or killing a kid by not killing those animals I would have shot them as well, but that is just my opinion and I don't live around there.

As sad as it is to imagine a child being attacked by one of these animals, often it's only situations like something bad happening to a child that that really GET people's attention so that they will get up off their couches and TAKE ACTION about unsafe situations in their community and county.

It's too bad people who knowingly did nothing about this situation only cared about the life of others, including the animals, after all these animals have been killed.

Ohio, get with the program and contact your governor and legislature, and demand change. You are a state with a marvelous history and much to be proud of. Get moving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 08:14 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,461 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they tried to tranquilize the animals, wouldn't it not work right away? Couldn't the animals have ran off, passed out for however long, then come around again and possibly harm someone? Yes, that may seem like a ridiculous question but I always heard tranquilizing isn't instant like the movies project.

Listen, I'm not for killing the animals, but people can't have it both ways. If one of these animals would have killed someone, especially a child, everyone would be saying "Well why didn't they kill the ****ing animals while they had the chance?"

It's a lose-lose situation all the way around. Someone was going to be upset one way or another.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:21 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,018,750 times
I bet the hick sheriff & his deputys had a field day killing these animals. Why the owner was allowed to have so many animals ill never understand. The owner let the animals loose (unlocked cages) & killed himself. The footage i saw on tv was depressing. Why the hell did they kill a giraff ?

Last edited by steel7; 10-19-2011 at 08:40 PM..

Old 10-19-2011, 08:23 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if they tried to tranquilize the animals, wouldn't it not work right away? Couldn't the animals have ran off, passed out for however long, then come around again and possibly harm someone? Yes, that may seem like a ridiculous question but I always heard tranquilizing isn't instant like the movies project.

Listen, I'm not for killing the animals, but people can't have it both ways. If one of these animals would have killed someone, especially a child, everyone would be saying "Well why didn't they kill the ****ing animals while they had the chance?"

It's a lose-lose situation all the way around. Someone was going to be upset one way or another.
Exactly, no matter what way it would have turned out, you would have had people complain about the issue. I guess this issue is better than the second one of someone being killed.

Here's my thought though. lol I am going to be so extremly busy this coming week with work, I guess I am just avoiding it for one more night and learning more about this story as it comes about. With my job I pick out the little things in the big picture. I already posted this, but North America's, and one of the world's largest conservations for endangered species in located in this very county!!!! As some were complaining earlier, they wouldn't be able to transport them to zoos througout the state, but sending some of them here would have been the best solution they could have had in my opinion. This place is housing animals from not just a state and national level, but animals that are endangered from Africa (where most of these exotic animals were from). It is well over 9,100 acres of conservation for these animals to roam around in and be free. Why were these animals not taken here when the neighbors were complaing about them? Why is Governor Kasich just now speaking up when this situation has unfolded? He would have saved himself in the long-run had he not let this law lapse. That's exactly what the governor did, too, and now he is paying for it. Not like he was popular anyway, so the popularity points don't matter to this guy unless it is bringing in another fortune 500 company from another state.

I just don't understand the thinking behind this. Neighbors have complained for years, and feel this was his way to say ********* all, I'm killing myself and setting the animals free. Not to mention he had a criminal history. These animals had a place to go for years right in their own back yard....

Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post

I have to agree with ya on that one!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:29 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
The tragedy is the laws that let this guy keep these animals in the first place. If the sheriff didn't do anything in his prior contacts, it was probably because the guy wasn't breaking any laws and his hands were tied.
As many people have pointed out, even Jack Hanna said they couldn't have tranquilized the animals. It was dark and there were about 50 large wild animals in a populated area. I'm a bleeding heart when it comes to animals, but there was really no choice.
Those of you that live in Ohio, stand up and scream for the laws to be changed that allow some whackjob felon to keep these beautiful creatures confined.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:30 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
Quote:
Woulda shoulda coulda is all that can be said now! The fact is you wouldn't stake your life on those animals so he had no choice at the moment. Hopefully there might be some laws coming out of this, people have no business owning wild animals. If all the "I can do whatever I want in America" rights activist can stay out of it maybe this won't happen again.
I can just imagine being a Policeman facing down a bengal tiger or a grizzly with a pistol

Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
Exactly, no matter what way it would have turned out, you would have had people complain about the issue. I guess this issue is better than the second one of someone being killed.

Here's my thought though. lol I am going to be so extremly busy this coming week with work, I guess I am just avoiding it for one more night and learning more about this story as it comes about. With my job I pick out the little things in the big picture. I already posted this, but North America's, and one of the world's largest conservations for endangered species in located in this very county!!!! As some were complaining earlier, they wouldn't be able to transport them to zoos througout the state, but sending some of them here would have been the best solution they could have had in my opinion. This place is housing animals from not just a state and national level, but animals that are endangered from Africa (where most of these exotic animals were from). It is well over 9,100 acres of conservation for these animals to roam around in and be free. Why were these animals not taken here when the neighbors were complaing about them? Why is Governor Kasich just now speaking up when this situation has unfolded? He would have saved himself in the long-run had he not let this law lapse. That's exactly what the governor did, too, and now he is paying for it. Not like he was popular anyway, so the popularity points don't matter to this guy unless it is bringing in another fortune 500 company from another state.

I just don't understand the thinking behind this. Neighbors have complained for years, and feel this was his way to say ********* all, I'm killing myself and setting the animals free. Not to mention he had a criminal history. These animals had a place to go for years right in their own back yard....
I don't understand have that conservation place either to tell ya the truth.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:33 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Quote:
I don't understand have that conservation place either to tell ya the truth.
Sorry, I don't understand your post.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:41 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
As many people have pointed out, even Jack Hanna said they couldn't have tranquilized the animals. It was dark and there were about 50 large wild animals in a populated area. I'm a bleeding heart when it comes to animals, but there was really no choice.
Not only that, but when animals are in a highly agitated state (which these were), the effects of a tranquilizer are greatly reduced.

It'd be like trying to calm down a politician who just found out they were no longer going to be getting a yearly raise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus