Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 09:50 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times

Advertisements

A few more pics from the SN's gritty days. The 2nd picture is from the 1980s, despite is black and white look.
Attached Thumbnails
Skyscrapers in Columbus's Future?-shortnorth6.jpg   Skyscrapers in Columbus's Future?-shortnorth7.jpg   Skyscrapers in Columbus's Future?-shortnorth8.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 2,436 times
SkyHouse Cincinnati is very likely to break ground soon. It is a 25-floor tower with approximately 350 luxury apartment units.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:38 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
A few more pics from the SN's gritty days. The 2nd picture is from the 1980s, despite is black and white look.
Thanks for the pics! Incredibly cool to see how much the SN has changed, especially since I frequent those areas you posted on a daily basis.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:40 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieb66 View Post
SkyHouse Cincinnati is very likely to break ground soon. It is a 25-floor tower with approximately 350 luxury apartment units.
I'm not impressed with tall buildings anymore. The height of the buildings in the arena district is the way to go, in my opinion.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:40 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,427,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryMason614 View Post
I'm not impressed with tall buildings anymore. The height of the buildings in the arena district is the way to go, in my opinion.
Healthy cities nationwide are building tall residental buildings if they haven't already. It's important that regardless of height that they function well at street level, of course, and don't just offer pedestrians a big blank wall. The problem with Columbus is that it's not building a cluster of five story buildings in lieu of every 20-30 story tower it could/should be building. Columbus won't have as many 20+ story residential buildings as my 1/2 sq mi neighborhood quite possibly for the rest of my life (mid 30s now) and they certainly aren't building enough mid-rises to compensate.

On top of that, there are neighborhoods here where tons of mid-rises have been built such as North Loop, Stadium Village, and the neighborhoods consisting of Uptown, the latter of which has a greenway with a long continous stretch of mid-rise apartments with no equivalent in Columbus, namely the Olentangy Trail which has not seen similar development. Maybe rebrand it as the Olentangy Greenway?

Here on the far west end of the greenway next to the lakes there's an eight story luxury apartment building U/C where rent starts at $3,044 per month. It'll be a while before Columbus gets to the point that it's able to support a development like that despite all the hype about how great the housing market is there. If it's doing so great it should be performing on a whole other level, not lagging behind cities half its size.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:15 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,143,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
If it's doing so great it should be performing on a whole other level, not lagging behind cities half its size.
The metro area was 1.2 million people 30 years ago, now it's over 2 million people and growing. Columbus is holding its own and then some.

Myself, although I enjoy the amenities that a larger city will give you, part of me wishes we were still at 1.2 million people.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:16 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Quote:
Healthy cities nationwide are building tall residental buildings if they haven't already. It's important that regardless of height that they function well at street level, of course, and don't just offer pedestrians a big blank wall. The problem with Columbus is that it's not building a cluster of five story buildings in lieu of every 20-30 story tower it could/should be building. Columbus won't have as many 20+ story residential buildings as my 1/2 sq mi neighborhood quite possibly for the rest of my life (mid 30s now) and they certainly aren't building enough mid-rises to compensate.

On top of that, there are neighborhoods here where tons of mid-rises have been built such as North Loop, Stadium Village, and the neighborhoods consisting of Uptown, the latter of which has a greenway with a long continous stretch of mid-rise apartments with no equivalent in Columbus, namely the Olentangy Trail which has not seen similar development. Maybe rebrand it as the Olentangy Greenway?

Here on the far west end of the greenway next to the lakes there's an eight story luxury apartment building U/C where rent starts at $3,044 per month. It'll be a while before Columbus gets to the point that it's able to support a development like that despite all the hype about how great the housing market is there. If it's doing so great it should be performing on a whole other level, not lagging behind cities half its size.
There's plenty of development happening in Columbus right now. Although strengthening our skyline would be nice there are plenty of other projects under way that are improving our city. If you don't like Columbus or think it's an underperforming city that's perfectly fine but I don't see how constantly comparing it to Minneapolis or Austin is a useful exercise. We are Columbus not Austin, Portland, or any other city and while we have much to improve in our city I would just live in any of those cities if I wanted my city to be a cheap replica of what has already been done.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:52 PM

730 posts, read 774,727 times
Quote:

From having lived in Houston and Austin and experienced the growth there firsthand the amenities have to be there to draw the residents. Once the nightlife, restaurants, entertainment and such is there the demand will be there for those kinds of housing projects. Columbus' downtown revitalization is about what Austin's was around 1990 the high-rises came about 15 years later. I can see the growth here taking off. Do you know of anyplace that has built the high-rises first?

Old 07-07-2016, 12:35 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever nickname here View Post
From having lived in Houston and Austin and experienced the growth there firsthand the amenities have to be there to draw the residents. Once the nightlife, restaurants, entertainment and such is there the demand will be there for those kinds of housing projects. Columbus' downtown revitalization is about what Austin's was around 1990 the high-rises came about 15 years later. I can see the growth here taking off. Do you know of anyplace that has built the high-rises first?
Exactly...you have to have the amenities in place to draw in demand first....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus