Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 02:49 PM

17 posts, read 38,380 times

Advertisements

thank you. I hadn't heard much about those areas. I will take a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 02:52 PM

Thank you! Good luck to you, too. Maybe our kids will end up in school together!

Old 01-27-2008, 02:56 PM

Thank you . How is the commute from those other areas? My husband's office will be in the home, but his territory is primarily Columbus and a few areas south. Pickerington is exactly in the middle. I have visited Pickerington once and liked the neighborhoods, but they felt very separate from each other and the drivers in that area were horribly rude that particular day. There seemed to be a lot of anger in the air down ther.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:58 PM

Thank you. I had never even heard of Canal Winchester. Is that Columbus City Schools?

Old 01-27-2008, 03:01 PM

Thanks for your response. I liked the homey feel of Grove City, but I don't want to trade apples for more apples. Middletown has some terrific people and leaving them is heart breaking. However, we have to do what is right for our children and the schools here are simply unacceptable.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:05 PM

Thank you. We seem to being led to Worthington. I just hope we can afford it!

Old 01-27-2008, 03:14 PM

Default Still searching for a place to call "Home"

Thank you. You have been very helpful. I too, picked up on the competition from neighborhood to neighborhood. We visited for a quick drive through a few places and Worthington seemed very nice, but the homes were on top of one another. No gardening at all. Pickerington was a little too new and not very nice. Very impersonal. Grove City definitely was the nicest and the people the warmest. I just don't want to go into another area that has struggling schools. Often times the test scores do not reflect the schools accurately. If you start to have a lower class population, the scores will drop. People who don't care produce kids who don't care.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin it 13 View Post
I would agree-Worthington is not known for being "snooty". However, as someone else said, Columbus suburbs do tend to talk unfavorably about each other. Every suburb has an understood label..a stereotype already put on them. I will also warn you, that every district that contains more than one high school, will tell you that they have a "rich" side and a "poor" side to it, and that the schools are favored more in one direction.
I realized this with both Grove City and Worthington. Both Worthington High Schools are have nice scores, but I'm concerned about the lack of diversity. It appears to be very white. Grove City has three high schools. Grove City High School really impressed me at a recent marching band competition. They were friendly and happy and the parents were also. Not a pretencious bone among them and they were very supportive of their kids. But if the people of the area aren't passing school levies and the demographics are changing, then it is only a matter of time before they are really in trouble. I don't know anything about the other school except to have been told that one is very rough and to avoid it.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Regarding Columbus City School district sections of Columbus, some of the most desired places to live in the entire metro are Columbus neighborhoods in the Columbus school district. The Short North, Victorian Village, Clintonville/Beechwold, German Village, NW side of Columbus neighborhoods. These are all very sought after, safe, beautiful neighborhoods. And the columbus city schools in some of these neighborhoods rank well to very well. Columbus Alternative High School ranks on par with many suburbs. I felt the need to expand upon this generalization.
Thank you. We are not afraid of Columbus itself, it's just that we are very focused on the schools. We would stay where we are if we were only wanting beautiful big homes, wonderful neighbors, great friends and dedicated teachers. We have a terrible administrator who is allowing the changing demographics to determine his decisions. Due to the way we fund schools in this state, he will not permit any expulsions (you lose money if the child isn't located in the building somewhere). Consequently, the kids are running the building.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsports2 View Post
I am also looking at relocating to Grove City soon from Northeast PA. I have been doing a lot of research on the area and haven't really found anything negative about it. If you go into greatschools.net you could compare each school in that area. I've found JC Sommer Elementaryto be a very good rating and many others. The prices of houses aren't too bad either and are really nice. Good luck on your search.
I have driven up and looked around. Worthington is also nice, but the yards are small. Schools are excellent. We also looked in Pickerington. Great schools, but the traffic was horrendous near the interstate junction. They will literally run you off the road. The homes are affordable there as well. Good luck to you, too. Maybe we'll end up at a Grove City game someday.
Oh, there are three high schools in Grove City. Be careful as to where you purchase as to which one you'll be assigned. Two are good. I understand that one is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus