Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,614 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been interested into relocating to Columbus from Detroit. I've lived in Detroit or around the area all my life. My inspiration was sparked when I have traveled to this city about three times and I'd like to leave Detroit and the Detroit area (do I really need to explain why? )
However, I've looked through reviews of what the residents of Columbus have said in multiple sites, and a lot are rather bad. Specifically, there's "nothing to do", the "people have terrible attitudes", and the "there's high crime". None of the postees ever mentioned that they used to live in Detroit, however, and they are comparing to cities such as NY, Chicago, Ann Arbor, Myrtle Beach, Miami, which NONE of these cities can even possibly compare to Detroit!
Again... coming from Detroit... how "bad" really is the crime? How "terrible" are the attitudes really around Columbus? And is there really, "nothing to do"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 02:35 PM

908 posts, read 1,418,252 times
If you're over 30 or not female, then you shouldn't worry about the crime. Columbus just has a ridiculously high rape rate that gives it a very high violent crime rate. Once you take out the rape rate, Columbus becomes one of the safest cities in the country. I'm not really sure where the "terrible attitudes" comments are coming from, I think there is a large variety in attitudes. The "nothing to do" comments come from the idiots from Cleveland who don't understand that most people don't care that their orchestra isn't in the top 5 in the country or that Columbus's rapidly growing theater scene doesn't yet have the acclaim that Cleveland's does, and think that the orchestra and theater are the only "things to do" that are worth doing. I enjoyed the parks system when I lived in Columbus, and there's an NHL and MLS team. Even if Columbus doesn't have an NFL or NBA team, I've found that Ohio State athletics have a better atmosphere than the pros in those two sports. There also seem to be way more restaurants and dance clubs than other cities Columbus's size.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,614 times
Thank you for replying!

I am a woman under 30. However, there are some "survival skills" that you learn living in the Detroit area. We typically tell visitors to not tour around the city unless accompanied by somebody who has lived here for a while. Police officers are known to pull visitors and tell them to not stop at a red light at night, as they are not from the area. So, the high rape crime rate, concerns me enough to just keep my guard up if I do move.
It is nice to see that Columbus does have a night life! The night life in Detroit, at least for personal reasons, is not entirely ideal. Just about all clubs have a hint of ghetto. And the only sure way you can feel safe in the nighttime of Detroit is if you payed your way into a building (restaurant, club, sports event). As long as the night life isn't entirely too sketchy, I think I'll feel fine
And there is a parks system??
And thank you for debunking some of the reviews!

Old 02-21-2015, 07:08 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdtdemon View Post
If you're over 30 or not female, then you shouldn't worry about the crime. Columbus just has a ridiculously high rape rate that gives it a very high violent crime rate. Once you take out the rape rate, Columbus becomes one of the safest cities in the country. I'm not really sure where the "terrible attitudes" comments are coming from, I think there is a large variety in attitudes. The "nothing to do" comments come from the idiots from Cleveland who don't understand that most people don't care that their orchestra isn't in the top 5 in the country or that Columbus's rapidly growing theater scene doesn't yet have the acclaim that Cleveland's does, and think that the orchestra and theater are the only "things to do" that are worth doing. I enjoyed the parks system when I lived in Columbus, and there's an NHL and MLS team. Even if Columbus doesn't have an NFL or NBA team, I've found that Ohio State athletics have a better atmosphere than the pros in those two sports. There also seem to be way more restaurants and dance clubs than other cities Columbus's size.
It does? Link? I do know that rape has dropped about 30% since 1990.

I do agree that the negative comments either come from those who don't live in the city or those of the "grass is greener" types who, for whatever reason, have another destination in mind.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:58 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avelrod View Post
Hello,

I've been interested into relocating to Columbus from Detroit. I've lived in Detroit or around the area all my life. My inspiration was sparked when I have traveled to this city about three times and I'd like to leave Detroit and the Detroit area (do I really need to explain why? )
However, I've looked through reviews of what the residents of Columbus have said in multiple sites, and a lot are rather bad. Specifically, there's "nothing to do", the "people have terrible attitudes", and the "there's high crime". None of the postees ever mentioned that they used to live in Detroit, however, and they are comparing to cities such as NY, Chicago, Ann Arbor, Myrtle Beach, Miami, which NONE of these cities can even possibly compare to Detroit!
Again... coming from Detroit... how "bad" really is the crime? How "terrible" are the attitudes really around Columbus? And is there really, "nothing to do"?
I lived in Columbus and lived in the Detroit area. It appears that you are from the inner city of Detroit with your perception of crime or perhaps not even from the area as you would know that Detroit only comprises 15% of the entire metropolitan area of over 4.5 million people. The MSA of Columbus is 1.9 million basically the same size as only putting Oakland County and Macomb County together. If you are from the Detroit area, you would know that Oakland and Macomb counties are quite safe.

In terms of arts, restaurants, sports, bars, cafes, ethnic restaurants, shopping, housing stock, topography, etc., you would need to go somewhere besides Columbus to surpass the amenities offered in Metro Detroit.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:24 AM

420 posts, read 805,048 times
Columbus is a great, great city. Very underrated in my opinion, and I've lived in six different states from Oklahoma to New York (New York City to be specific). Great place to live especially if you have a family. There are tons of things to do. Every weekend there is a different festival or convention (Home and Garden show this weekend) and you have Ohio State in town. People are very friendly and cost of living is low. The weather is nice (except for January and February). The violent crime is largely contained to the east side of the city. Overall a very nice city. I think a lot of the people here who have never lived elsewhere have the "grass is greener" syndrome.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:57 AM

416 posts, read 701,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I lived in Columbus and lived in the Detroit area. It appears that you are from the inner city of Detroit with your perception of crime or perhaps not even from the area as you would know that Detroit only comprises 15% of the entire metropolitan area of over 4.5 million people. The MSA of Columbus is 1.9 million basically the same size as only putting Oakland County and Macomb County together. If you are from the Detroit area, you would know that Oakland and Macomb counties are quite safe.

In terms of arts, restaurants, sports, bars, cafes, ethnic restaurants, shopping, housing stock, topography, etc., you would need to go somewhere besides Columbus to surpass the amenities offered in Metro Detroit.
And I spent four years in Michigan. It seems your opinions are rare compared to the hundreds of people who have left Metro Detroit for Columbus over the years.

Who cares about size when it comes to economic diversity, better neighborhoods and overall quality of life? From Columbus' fortune 500 companies, economic growth, and urban development, it seems like it is doing a much better job at bringing in people and jobs than Metro Detroit. There is nothing like the Short North in Detroit or the lively neighborhoods surrounding downtown Columbus in the city of Detroit. If you say you have lived in Columbus before, then you know that Columbus is by far one of the most diverse cities in the Midwest and continues to become even more diverse; certainly at a faster clip versus Detroit.

I would take Columbus' metro park system over anything in Detroit every day of the week, and not to mention you're within an hours drive of the Appalachian Foothills and places like Wayne National Forest, Hocking Hills, and Lake Hope State Park. The OP certainly does NOT need to go somewhere else besides Columbus to surpass the amenities offered in Detroit.

OP, if you're looking at Columbus, you can't go wrong. It is a growing city with a diverse economy (one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country for a large metro area) and a diverse population to match. It has lively neighborhoods, attractive and walkable inner-ring suburbs, and rapidly growing and urbanizing outer-ring suburbs. Also, if you're finding yourself missing the older city feel, Columbus still has great neighborhoods that offer that, but without all the extreme blight that you find in Detroit. Still, if you're feeling homesick, Ohio also offers Cincinnati and Cleveland that are also doing better than Detroit and can give you another range of arts and culture (art museums/art districts, ethnic neighborhoods, urban parks, symphonies, entertainment, etc) . That's the great thing about Ohio, we have three large metro areas that all offer something unique for everyone.

Good luck on the move, and you will have no problem finding other residents from Michigan living in Columbus, so try reaching out to them and getting some information.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:11 AM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
And I spent four years in Michigan. It seems your opinions are rare compared to the hundreds of people who have left Metro Detroit for Columbus over the years.

Who cares about size when it comes to economic diversity, better neighborhoods and overall quality of life? From Columbus' fortune 500 companies, economic growth, and urban development, it seems like it is doing a much better job at bringing in people and jobs than Metro Detroit. There is nothing like the Short North in Detroit or the lively neighborhoods surrounding downtown Columbus in the city of Detroit. If you say you have lived in Columbus before, then you know that Columbus is by far one of the most diverse cities in the Midwest and continues to become even more diverse; certainly at a faster clip versus Detroit.

I would take Columbus' metro park system over anything in Detroit every day of the week, and not to mention you're within an hours drive of the Appalachian Foothills and places like Wayne National Forest, Hocking Hills, and Lake Hope State Park. The OP certainly does NOT need to go somewhere else besides Columbus to surpass the amenities offered in Detroit.

OP, if you're looking at Columbus, you can't go wrong. It is a growing city with a diverse economy (one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country for a large metro area) and a diverse population to match. It has lively neighborhoods, attractive and walkable inner-ring suburbs, and rapidly growing and urbanizing outer-ring suburbs. Also, if you're finding yourself missing the older city feel, Columbus still has great neighborhoods that offer that, but without all the extreme blight that you find in Detroit. Still, if you're feeling homesick, Ohio also offers Cincinnati and Cleveland that are also doing better than Detroit and can give you another range of arts and culture (art museums/art districts, ethnic neighborhoods, urban parks, symphonies, entertainment, etc) . That's the great thing about Ohio, we have three large metro areas that all offer something unique for everyone.

Good luck on the move, and you will have no problem finding other residents from Michigan living in Columbus, so try reaching out to them and getting some information.
Many people left the Metro Detroit during the economic downturn but the economy has rebounded.The unemployment rate of Columbus is 3.5% and Oakland County is 5.5%.

However, the OP was talking about wanting to leave the Detroit area for being crime ridden. I was merely clarifying that Metro Detroit is huge; and the vast majority of the area is safe, clean, and efficient.

I lived in Cleveland for 3 years and Columbus for about a year. Columbus is a pleasant city. But if you want to delude yourself into thinking that the Columbus area has more amenities to offer than Metro Detroit, go ahead. Facts are facts, let's not get emotional.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post

Michigan is one of Ohio's largest domestic migration feeder states and has been for a long time. And you're right that metro Columbus has a net gain from metro Detroit. Besides the Cleveland and Cincinnati areas, it's Columbus' 3rd highest domestic migration origin.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Many people left the Metro Detroit during the economic downturn but the economy has rebounded.The unemployment rate of Columbus is 3.5% and Oakland County is 5.5%.

However, the OP was talking about wanting to leave the Detroit area for being crime ridden. I was merely clarifying that Metro Detroit is huge; and the vast majority of the area is safe, clean, and efficient.

I lived in Cleveland for 3 years and Columbus for about a year. Columbus is a pleasant city. But if you want to delude yourself into thinking that the Columbus area has more amenities to offer than Metro Detroit, go ahead. Facts are facts, let's not get emotional.
I think the main difference in this comparison is that, if you want to live in a fairly nice city, it's Columbus all the way. Detroit city is a wasteland except for perhaps a few areas in the CBD. Sure, some of the suburbs are nice, but Columbus also has nice suburbs. Detroit gets a bad rap, but for good reasons. You didn't lose over 1 million in population for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus