Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 06:48 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,670,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I can do up to $1,200 max now. So now, can I get a decent place with a washer/dryer in the unit and in a quiet non-college oriented area?

Although I will be working in Dublin, I am okay with having a commute (assuming no traffic) up to about 25 minutes. But I don't want to end up living somewhere where LGBT people won't want to come and visit me because I'm too far or whatever.

One of my gay friends told me that LGBT people who live in the center of Cbus or Short North, etc. don't care to visit people in Dublin because it's considered too far. I don't know how true that is though.
Keep in mind your experience in Columbus will depend greatly on where you settle. The central city experience is where you will find a more walkable, liberal, and diverse experience. Columbus has a "second" city and hat is the Post WWII city limits, and the outer ring suburbs. These areas are more typical suburbia in nature but have their own interesting attributes.

If you're looking to really experience Columbus your best bet would be something more central. Contrary to common thought Columbus' student population is only concentrated in the University District so that is avoidable.

Also, Columbus is not NY so you have quiet and quaint neighborhoods in the city without having to venture to a outer suburb such as Dublin. Neighborhoods that avoid some of the hustle of the Short North or High Street strip would be further sections of Italian Village or Victorian Village and Harrison West. These are the names of the neighborhoods actually next to the short north but (if you're further from High St they are not noisy but more residential in nature)

If that is maybe still too "downtown" you could consider areas like Grandview/"5th by northwest". This area is just NW of downtown yet a 5 minute drive to the Short North and downtown. You still have a large young professional population and you would be more central yet away from some of the downtown nightlife etc.

Clintonville on the north side is another great neighborhood just north of OSU. This area does not have a lot of newer apartments (yet) so it's better for purchasing (or if you're ok renting older construction)

South of downtown (which would be a slightly further drive to Dublin) the Brewery District has a ton of newly built apartments and is relatively quiet. Across high street is German Village where there are some renovated rentals.

Surprisingly a lot of the apartments in downtown themselves are near happening areas but quiet at night. Downtown has restaurants, festivals, entertainment but most areas aren't loud or 24/7. Columbus is working to continue developing it's downtown to get to that point. Only the north part of downtown (arena district and the short north) are really lively.

If you don't care about being "centrally" located you have many options on Columbus' northwest side city limits (sawmill, bethel, hendersen areas) , Dublin, and Hilliard too. My experience has been that my friends who moved here (who are gay or in their early 30s like myself) acclimate and meet others in the community with more ease if they do locate closer into the central city. It just depends on your preferences. As far as some LGBT people not wanting to drive to see others in the suburbs: That has nothing to do with being gay or straight. These days you have your younger professionals who want to live a more central or urban lifestyle. Many do live and play in the central city and don't travel outward, often, unless they work around 270. There is some truth to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 10:38 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
The Clintonville area is probably what I would enjoy living in. I drove through it while I was there a few weeks ago. It's not too urban and not too suburban. But there's no way I would enjoy living in the Short North. It's way too urban and happening for me. Grandview Heights seemed nice, too though. I'll have to really look at a wide variety of apartments next week while I'm there, before coming to a final decision.

Harrison West and Victorian Village are too urban for me, too. Too densely populated.

Basically, I want to live in an area that's not family oriented or conservative, but is also quiet, spacious and breathable and not full of college kids or pretentious yuppies.

Last edited by nep321; 06-24-2015 at 11:02 PM..

Old 06-27-2015, 11:36 AM

96 posts, read 124,879 times
Quote:
The Clintonville area is probably what I would enjoy living in. I drove through it while I was there a few weeks ago. It's not too urban and not too suburban. But there's no way I would enjoy living in the Short North. It's way too urban and happening for me. Grandview Heights seemed nice, too though. I'll have to really look at a wide variety of apartments next week while I'm there, before coming to a final decision.

Harrison West and Victorian Village are too urban for me, too. Too densely populated.

Basically, I want to live in an area that's not family oriented or conservative, but is also quiet, spacious and breathable and not full of college kids or pretentious yuppies.
It's impossible to find the perfect apartment for the first year. A lot of the nice apartment complexes require some wait time. My suggestion would be to settle down in a good enough place for a year and during the same time, look around, put your name down for the apartment you like and wait.

Based on your description and where my grad school friends are living, you might like the areas around Governors Square (close to Henderson/Bethel/Kenny). There are a few apartment complexes around. It's convenient (lots of shops and restaurants close by), spacious, very car dependent and also very close to Dublin.

You might also like Georgetown Village right at the edge of Clintonville. Check out the walkscore map on walkscore.com if you want a car-dependent neighborhood. I honestly don't think Harrison West and Victorian Village is that urban. There are some very spread-out apartment complexes around Wheeler park.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:06 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,373,416 times
Quote:
That's a beautiful place, but it doesn't look like an apartment that's specifically designated for rentals. It just looks like someone's condo that is owned by someone and wants to rent it out. I don't like that. I only like complexes in which 100% of the units are rental units only.
What's the difference, other than people who own usually take better care of the property.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:18 PM

I finally decided on a place!

Berkley House Luxury Apartments - Upper Arlington, OH - Preferred Living

I liked the Upper Arlington area. It has some hills, lots of trees and the Scioto River area is nice.

I almost went with a place in Polaris, but felt that it was just kind of out of the way and I preferred to stay in Franklin County.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:19 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Quote:

I liked the Upper Arlington area. It has some hills, lots of trees and the Scioto River area is nice.

I almost went with a place in Polaris, but felt that it was just kind of out of the way and I preferred to stay in Franklin County.
Looks terrific. Far cheaper than Norwalk, Ct with more amenities.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Looks terrific. Far cheaper than Norwalk, Ct with more amenities.
This place would go for over $2,000 a month for a 1 bd in Norwalk. Double the price.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:23 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:

Kind of interesting that you went for a place so close to the urban core, especially after saying so often that you wanted more of a suburban/rural location. UA is suburban in terms of how residential it is and the makeup of much of its development, but the location is definitely a lot further in that I expected you to go for (Granted, it is practically almost in Dublin, not exactly urban). UA is nice, though, so you should be happy there.

Old 07-14-2015, 08:58 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Columbus has awful apartments. They look nice but the quality is soooooo bad. I have lived here a year and moved twice. My utilities are outrageous!!! My electric is American Power and Light which is a third party vendor and they are not regulated so your rates will be higher. Oh and I lived in Gahanna and New Albany. People here will not tell you the truth either because they are too "nice" or naive. Good luck!!
I lived in preserve crossing in Gahanna and it was the best apartment and rental community I have ever lived in the entire state of Ohio.... it had an attached enclosed garage. Where exactly did you live at?

Old 07-15-2015, 04:11 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,457,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Kind of interesting that you went for a place so close to the urban core, especially after saying so often that you wanted more of a suburban/rural location. UA is suburban in terms of how residential it is and the makeup of much of its development, but the location is definitely a lot further in that I expected you to go for (Granted, it is practically almost in Dublin, not exactly urban). UA is nice, though, so you should be happy there.
OH boy- you guys will get to love NEP's posts on this board...check out CT ones....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus