Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 02:44 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,854,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

How do we know what you post is correct? Your fact on the origins of OS-X was incorrect, how many other things you posted might be incorrect?
No my post on the basis of OSX was not incorrect other than a typo which I admitted to above. You just have no clue what you are talking about. You claim that my statement that OSX is based off of Unix FreeBSD is incorrect because you read somewhere that it is based off of "neXT." As I discussed in my reply to your post you are correct it is developed from "neXT" but what you didn't realize before you started blabbing off again and attempting to belittle is that "neXT" is an OS designed by Jobs after he left Apple in the 80's which is based off of FreeBSD Unix code and actually has some of the original kernel code design from ATT when they developed BSD decades ago from what I have read on some of the tech forums I am on. "neXT" was actually the name of the company Jobs owned and it was acquired by Apple which is when he returned to work at Apple.

I never said I was perfect and if I am wrong I will humbly admit it and it wouldn't be the first time. We all make mistakes from time to time, maybe we recall something incorrectly, maybe we don't understand it properly, maybe we just have a straight up brain fart. You were spouting off because I posted something instead of posting links to the information. I'm not your google service and I didn't google to find the information so I don't feel it necessary to look up the information.

You are mouthing off asking how do we know my statements are correct and attempting to attack me but yet you have not posted any information contradicting the validity of my statements other than your pale attempt at refuting my statement that OSX is based off of Unix BSD, which I then explained in more detail.

I just love how you post your "Golly gee" statements when someone replies to your smart remarks instead of posting an intelligent response. It shows your lack of depth in the subject matter. Is it possible....do you have it in you....to make just one useful post instead of bashing and arguing with everybody?

Last edited by dijkstra; 05-03-2011 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 04:59 PM

534 posts, read 2,411,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Didn't say I never rebooted, usually every couple of months when a backlog of updates needed to be installed. Did stick some more disk in during one of my blow the dust bunnies out shutdowns (30 - 40 minutes). And it has been off during a couple of extended power outages caused by storms, as the UPS will only carry it for about 20 min.

Total hours it has been off in the 8 years is probably in the 30 - 40 hour range, primarily due to power outages.

Has not crashed or BSOD'ed, locked up, etc, zero hardware failures, still booting off the original 320G SATA drive.

It's a Dell
I can respond to this. Dells are good, that is the desktop of choice we buy at work. We are replacing a model now that is 5 yrs old and I just happened to see the numbers on them recently.

60% of them needed the keyboard replaced.
30% of them needed some major repair (hard drive or motherboard).

For 5 years (4 years is life cycle for alot of places) thats pretty good.

We don't have the final numbers yet on the 2 mac labs, but i know in 3 years, ive changed out 2 sticks of ram. Total. (only 50 machines, not 125 like that dell model).

When you figure the virus part in, you know which way i go.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:26 AM

16,734 posts, read 15,739,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
I can respond to this. Dells are good, that is the desktop of choice we buy at work. We are replacing a model now that is 5 yrs old and I just happened to see the numbers on them recently.

60% of them needed the keyboard replaced.
30% of them needed some major repair (hard drive or motherboard).

For 5 years (4 years is life cycle for alot of places) thats pretty good.

We don't have the final numbers yet on the 2 mac labs, but i know in 3 years, ive changed out 2 sticks of ram. Total. (only 50 machines, not 125 like that dell model).

When you figure the virus part in, you know which way i go.
At one time, my employer had over 600 Dell computers. Replacing a keyboard is a fairly rare event. It happens, but it happens on Lenovo and HP machines with the same randomness that it did with Dell machines. There was a time that Dell had some bad components on motherboards that caused failures which Dell covered for about 2 years past the longest warranty expiration. Those were the GX-270 and GX-280 desktop machines and the SX-260, SX-270 and SX-280 Ultra Small Form Factor machines. At one time, back in P-III or P-4 days, HP had a batch of hard drives that failed often. The fusers failed often in HP's Laserjet 1300 printers. Lenovo replaced motherboard in several thousand computers when motherboards failed. Other than a few known manufacturing defects, having to do hardware repairs in 30% of the computers is far outside the numbers I've seen in >25 years in this business.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:39 PM

865 posts, read 624,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
In the same vein I'd like to see something constructive by the windows crowd when it comes to Mac's other than "arrogant users" and the fact every time a Mac user posts something they are labeled "fanbois" and blamed (as you so eloquently put it) for wanting to start an argument.
Up until the time you posted this comment, the only posters that used the word "fanboi" were the Mac supporters.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,158,324 times
Closed for mod review. This forum's assigned moderator will be along shortly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers