Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:49 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times

Advertisements

At my house my internet connection consists of a modem and a wireless router. Until I recently replaced my old (wired) router I also had a wireless access point.

I just got a new router, but when i was looking I was wondering why I couldn't just buy a device that combines the features of a cable modem and a wireless router. Even if it was a little more expensive than my new router i would be able to save my monthly modem rental charge.

While I was at the store I looked at all the routers, all the modems, but I couldn't see anything that combined the functions. It seems to me that if such a device existed there'd be plenty of market demand for it, so why don't they sell them?

Does this make perfect sense to anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 01:08 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,343 times
Like this?

D-Link ADSL2/2+ Modem with Wireless Router

Newegg link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9&SID=10172915

Most likely the reason they don't sell them is that people have modems provided by the ISP, and people have routers. If the router goes out, they don't think to replace both, cause one still works. Believe it or not, many people aren't very intelligent :P

Old 08-18-2011, 01:31 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times
When I had a cable company for an ISP, I owned my own cable modems. All I had to do was give them the MAC address of the modem. I bought one on eBay for ~$30.00, so the modem paid for itself in about 6 months.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:39 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
D'oh!

I don't think I'm going to buy one now, since I have the router I just bought, but this is good to know. If they'd had them at Staples when i was there I definitely would have gone that way.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:44 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,004 times
I bought one from my cable company for about $50 a few years back. Come to think of it, I'd probably benefit from upgrading.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
With Comcast you can have your own modem as long as you don't subscribe to their VOIP service. I had same modem for 10 years and I think the rental fee was $5... I saved about $500. Think I'm going to drop the VOIP service and go back to my own. It's really absued especially at $7 a month.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:13 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,861,803 times
They do make devices which combine the cable modem with a wireless router, they usually call it something like a "Wireless cable modem gateway". Motorola makes several models, which you can find online at the usual suspects (NewEgg, Amazon).

For most people combining both functions in a single device probably makes sense, but there are advantages to having these functions separate. Certain advanced features will only be available, or available sooner in standalone wireless routers. Also, if the functions are separate, you aren't paying to replace both functions if only one fails and needs replacement.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:01 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,462,062 times
A combined device will probably be cheaper than separate modem and router units. However, the savings might be offset if once "half" of the device fails, thus forcing you the throw out the baby with the bathwater. I have always used separate devices for this reason. Furthermore, the technology in modems (especially cable modems) does not advance quickly, which makes upgrades relatively unnecessary. This is not quite as true for routers. Nonetheless, most users can get at least a few years of use from a router. I bought my first cable modem in 2002, for $70. It lasted until 2010, and then died suddenly. That saved me around $400 in rental fees over 8 years. Regardless of whether you use separate devices, or a single integrated device, buying your own cable modem will certainly save you money in the long run, especially if your ISP decided to increase your rental fee in the future.

A separate router does generally offer additional features, but most of these advanced features are useless for a causal home user. A combined unit also takes up less shelf space, and requires less wiring that two separate devices. A combined device might also use slightly less power, though I suspect the difference would be negligible.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:13 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
A combined device will probably be cheaper than separate modem and router units. However, the savings might be offset if once "half" of the device fails, thus forcing you the throw out the baby with the bathwater. I have always used separate devices for this reason.
Me too. It reminds me of those TVs with a built in DVD player or VHS. One breaks and you are out both.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:28 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
When you sign up for AT&T they give you a combined unit. I think they were the first company to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers