Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:00 PM

965 posts, read 4,501,069 times

Advertisements

My, my, lots of opinions. I thank you all for trying to help. Please don't fight anymore. Oh by the way, I'm a girl. One poster referred to me as a "he."

I almost hate to say this, but there I was minding my own business, after ordering my memory sticks this past Sunday evening, when I hear a whiiiiiiiine and then nothing. My computer just stopped and started flashing an amber light on the power switch. Oh, no. I turned more tricks than a prostitute trying to get it to boot up, but no. My baby gave up the ghost. More importantly, there went my precious Windows XP!!!!!! So, I had to get a new system (found the invoice for my Dell, and I had purchased it in December 2004--so it lasted for a while). Pooh, pooh, pooh. Well, at least this time, I didn't have to buy an expensive system to last for a long time. I only have about two or three more years before I switch out of transcription work. And, at least this happened before I started with a potential new client who had approached me on March 9th.

Man, what a learning curve for Windows 7 and Word 2010. It's soooo different. Some of the short cut keys don't work in Word 2010, so many more options and icons eating up the display area. What happened to Add/Remove programs? Pin to taskbar?--the area is not that big. No more desktop button? Thank goodness, I can Google "install/uninstall programs Windows 7" and find out how to do stuff. I hope there's a list of short cut keys for Windows 7 on the Internet. In time, I will learn how to change the system to what I need--a tool, not a toy.

So, again, I'd like to thank everyone who tried to help!! I was all set to work on the memory issues and had written down all the BIOS info, but it just didn't roll that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 01:40 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
What happened to Add/Remove programs?
It's called "programs and features" now (why couldn't they leave that alone?) One tip in the control panel, turn the view to "large icons" or "small icons" - the "category" view messes people up sometimes.

Quote:
Pin to taskbar?
Mine has it

Quote:
No more desktop button?
It's now that little bar to the right of your clock. Hover to make windows transparent, click to move to desktop.

Quote:
In time, I will learn how to change the system to what I need--a tool, not a toy.
It'll grow on you, I much prefer Win7 over XP.

Quote:
So, again, I'd like to thank everyone who tried to help!! I was all set to work on the memory issues and had written down all the BIOS info, but it just didn't roll that way.
It usually happens that way, find a fix to one problem, stumble onto two more

Old 03-14-2012, 02:20 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Seems like I looked for months before I found the "Show Desktop" button.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Seems like I looked for months before I found the "Show Desktop" button.
I found it by accident, shortly after I got Win7... I always have dual monitors but one day my video card started freaking out, so I installed a new one. Before I got the drivers installed, I only had a single monitor working, and my mouse trailed over to the bottom right corner....everything went transparent, I went "WTF" and moved my mouse, then put 2 and 2 together

Old 03-14-2012, 03:00 PM

The desk top button is way over to the right! Bless you, bless you. If I'm brave, maybe I'll assign an icon to it. That is, if I can remember where I saw "choose a new icon." Maybe that was in personalization.

By the "pin to task bar--not much room" remark, I meant that I didn't want to use it like the Quick Launch feature in the XP version. I thought "pin to task bar" was new wording for "Quick Launch." I didn't want to have programs that I use infrequently tacked on to the task bar. I'm learning, though.

I must ask this. No more searching at C:\? No more right clicking on a directory to select the search function and filling in the info you are looking for in the little boxes? I had a client call today asking for a 5-year-old report, and I had a dickens of a time trying to isolate the drive I was trying to get to. I knew the report was in c:\doctor's name\his 2007 directory, and that's where I wanted to search, but the system wouldn't let me. I had to use the Start button search feature instead. I couldn't control where to search, so it was looking everywhere. It returned a hit, which I did not recognize because the system showed a folders icon AND options to do additional searching on the Internet, My Computer, etc., if it didn't return a hit. I thought I had done the search wrong. Slowly, but surely, I'm learning.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:08 PM

You can open your C drive and search from there:

You cannot change the icon of the button to the right of the clock without some kind of aftermarket software (I'm not even sure if it exists to be frank).

You can create a NEW show desktop button, but you cannot pin it to the taskbar, it automatically pins INSIDE of the "windows explorer" icon...which is annoying.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:35 PM

Thank you again. I'll just deal with the Desktop icon as is. The big thing is now I know where it is. Yippee, skippy.

You know, I did try to search using the box at the top of Explorer (the name I was searching on was in the drop down), but I think I thought it wasn't working because the system didn't produce anything immediately. I missed the message about "slow because of no indexing" and didn't notice the activity icon.

I put the name in again just now, and that's when I saw the message "search may be slow because of no indexing," and I saw the little swirling activity icon. Thank you. Ooooh. Gotta fix that. I'll have to read up on how to get files indexed.

Many, many thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-14-2012, 03:37 PM

You can add it to the index to quicken it up, just click that message when it pops up.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:44 PM

One more time, thank you. I'll click the index message box the next time.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:10 PM

No problem, it's spring break so there isn't anyone here at work, so the phones have been cold all day..... help desking online helps to cut the boredom :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers