Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 01:02 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times

Advertisements

I downloaded Windows 8 and did some playing around with it.
Not sure how I feel about it.
Some positive and some negative thoughts.

What is your experience?
What are your feelings about Windows 8?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 03:24 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
I've been playing with it off and on in a VM since the first preview. I can't say I really care for it as a desktop/laptop OS. It just feels like they bolted a tablet onto the front so there's this weird split personality between metro and desktop. I think it'll actually bring back the old days of heavy reliance on keyboard shortcuts because so much of the UI is hidden.

This is going to be A LOT of people when they open their new PC by the end of this year:

How Real People Will Use Windows 8 - YouTube

Old 06-03-2012, 04:46 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
For those who haven't had the opportunity to try Windows 8, here's an amateur video of the Windows 8 experience on a laptop. It gets the point across imo.

He spends most of the video in the Metro UI -- since the desktop UI is similar to previous versions of Windows.

X220T Running Windows 8 Consumer Preview on SSD - YouTube

Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
I've been running it in a VM also. I can put 7 & 8 side by side on dual monitors, and I've seen nothing yet that even suggests it offers anything worth even considering upgrading to 8.

Did basically the same thing with XP and 7RC, and moved to 7 as soon as it was released, for the simple reason 7 offered things were better or I liked.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:51 PM

I think the most compelling aspect of Windows 8 is that it's significantly better with touch screen gestures. I currently run Windows 7 on my laptop and it's horrible with the touch screen.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:55 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Windows 8 should be for touch screens only. There is absolutely NOTHING that will make it worth upgrading to on a desktop/laptop. If anything, it makes using a desktop/laptop harder. Microsoft is basically doing what Apple did with Lion but taking it a step further. At least Lion leaves full functionality while adding the touch screen features. I think this is going to be the biggest colossal fail for Microsoft yet, making Vista look like the good ole' days. Apple and Google currently dominate the touch screen market and I doubt Windows 8 is going to make as big of an impact as Microsoft is hoping (anybody remember the Zune?). Tablets may be the future, but we aren't there yet. Millions of people still use traditional PCs. If this is the direction Microsoft is headed, I think they will lose a lot of their prominence in the tech world over the next decade. What business in their right mind would deploy Windows 8 on their desktops?

I personally was sympathetic to Vista and even was an early adopter, but will NOT be with 8. Yes there were a lot of problems with Vista but it was a step in the right direction for Microsoft. 7 simply perfected what Microsoft was trying to accomplish with Vista and I think its easily the best desktop operating system available. I criticized XP fanboys for sticking with XP on new hardware after 11 years, but with 8 around the corner I have a feeling thats how I'll be with 7.

Last edited by bchris02; 06-03-2012 at 07:04 PM..

Old 06-03-2012, 06:59 PM

Many current desktops and laptops already have touchscreens. Going forward, I'd imagine that all of them will at some point.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:00 PM

Touching the screen on my laptop only leaves finger prints. I've tried a touch screen laptop and it's great for playing solitaire, but never found it useful for anything productive. I can slide cards on my phone or Kindle Fire to fulfill that desire.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Touching the screen on my laptop only leaves finger prints. I've tried a touch screen laptop and it's great for playing solitaire, but never found it useful for anything productive. I can slide cards on my phone or Kindle Fire to fulfill that desire.
I don't notice any fingerprints on my screen when it is on. Touchscreen is excellent for browsing the web, but so-so for productivity since most software does not have an interface designed for touch. Going forward, this will change. The most significant impact will be on laptops where most users are currently stuck with using a touchpad as a pointing device.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't notice any fingerprints on my screen when it is on. Touchscreen is excellent for browsing the web, but so-so for productivity since most software does not have an interface designed for touch. Going forward, this will change. The most significant impact will be on laptops where most users are currently stuck with using a touchpad as a pointing device.
There I can see it, I hate hate the touchpad, in fact it is disabled on my laptop, and since it is only for sitting on the couch or going out on the deck with it, the wireless trackball is used. Trackball is nice is you can set it on your leg.

I've never found a driver that really disables the touchpad when I'm typing, and you look up to find you are typing someplace other than where you thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers