Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 11:13 PM

2 posts, read 14,749 times

Advertisements

I'm an old timer so I don't know as much about this electronic age as you young people so maybe you can help me out. I have an HP laptop and I want to use the screen of my Samsung 55" tv as my computer screen. Much easier for us old timers to see things when they are bigger lol. Can I do this with a wireless connection? Please help. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 11:24 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
You would get more results if you put this in the technology thread.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:52 AM

556 posts, read 788,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterpro001 View Post
I'm an old timer so I don't know as much about this electronic age as you young people so maybe you can help me out. I have an HP laptop and I want to use the screen of my Samsung 55" tv as my computer screen. Much easier for us old timers to see things when they are bigger lol. Can I do this with a wireless connection? Please help. Thanks
Welcome waterpro here's a couple of links that may answer your questions. once you've decided what you want/need I recommend E Bay for your purchases as they're cheaper than the Amazon, Bestbuy, Frys, etc.

3 Wireless Ways to Connect Your Laptop to Your TV — Online Video News

How to Connect Laptop to TV with Intel® Wireless Display (WiDi)

Old 12-03-2012, 08:30 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Depends on your TV.
My Vizio has a VGA port on the back - just a regular old monitor cable let me hook up my HTPC to my TV.
If your Samsung doesn't have a VGA port, you'll have to do HDMI. If your laptop has a HDMI port, it's just a $5 HDMI cord. If it doesn't, there are adapters to hook it up. I'm pretty sure Fry's carries them.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
If your tv has the HDMI capability, what you are thinking of might work. If it only has composite (RCA connector) input, forget it. The resolution through that type of connection is not sufficient for clear text. (It is a good way to watch Youtube, though.)

Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 PM

2 posts, read 14,749 times
I thank all of you very much. I sort of understand what you all are saying, but still much out of my education field. My tv is a samsung smart tv, fairly new so i think i can do it very simple if i could understand more about the wireless world. I may have to wait someday when one of my sons decides to come see me. Again, thank youn soooooooooooooo much.
Larry

Old 12-04-2012, 08:40 PM

354 posts, read 517,968 times
this is the cheapest i can think of. assuming your tv has vga port or svideo or hdmi port. just use the cable you already have. what you need buy is a wireless keyboard so you can control your laptop wirelessly with your tv as the monitor.

now... you said you have samsung smart tv which my sis already just bought same size 55"!! guess what? you can connect your tv wirelessly in the internet. yes you can go to the internet on your smart TV without connecting your laptop.

now that wireless keyboard will still be useful because navigating the internet in smart TV with the remote is a PITA. now if u have a samsung s2 like me you can install the samsung tv remote app for free and you can use it as remote for your smart tv. it is better than the wireless keboard and the TV remote because a keyboard pops out when you search the internet in smart TV using the remote app and the best part is..... you can use speech recognition so u can just say what you want to search and it will type it for u.

i love being a tech geek. LOL especially if i make money off of it. someone hire me please?

Last edited by msvalentine; 12-04-2012 at 08:58 PM..

Old 12-05-2012, 11:43 AM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,435 times
What model is your TV and laptop? HDMI would be the easiest if your devices have it. VGA works fine too it just has thumb screws to mess with. If your not at a desk or table I'd get a wireless keyboard with a built in touch pad.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
ANother option is a dedicated PC with HDMI located physically near the TV and just use a wireless keyboard and mouse to operate the PC. Might be cheaper than wirelessly interfacing a laptop to the TV.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:56 AM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,435 times
Why when you can do the same thing with the laptop?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers