Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 01:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,226,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
During a joint interview back in 2007, both Jobs and Gates agreed that post-PCs (tablets, smart phones) were the future of computing. Windows 8 was designed to give the same user experience on a tablet as on a laptop or a desktop. Apple has also made a similar move with Mountain Lion, although they use different GUIs for OSX and iOS.

This is pretty much going to be it from this point forward. Windows 9 will be similar.
I get that. I think it's horrible. I don't care if my computer looks like my cell phone. I use an Iphone and a Win 7 PC.

Angry Birds has been around for what? 2 years? How is that cutting edge to have the game playable on the PC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,191,695 times
I played Angry Birds on a PC through the Chrome App store for a bit. It was fun. It's no different than on a phone other than the size of the screen.

Microsoft is using it because it's still popular and has a potential draw.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:14 PM

3,006 posts, read 3,876,157 times
Windows 8 is a disaster from a usability standpoint. Apple went about this the right way - integrating ios functions into osx but not forcing them on the user, you can ignore them and use lion/mountain lion the same way as snow leopard.

However windows 8 (at least the metro/windows phone element) does show a level of graphic design sensibility we've never seen from microsoft. I like the new outlook (web version that replaced hotmail) for instance. Windows 8 would have been great if they had stuck to the classic interface, made the functionality more direct (less steps to do things - see linux mint for example, the thing I hate about windows is it takes more clicks to do things) and just added the new 'metro' theme to it. The windows mobile elements should have been added in the same way as osx - they shouldn't be forced on desktop users but as add ons. why can't microsoft build on what works? One os for touch, another for traditional pcs.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM

I didn't realize that Apple was using Angry Birds as a marketing tool for their OS as well.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:49 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,567,699 times
archineer, I think you hit the nail on the head. More mouse clicks, More movement. That is my problem

It was/is my issue with MS Word and Excel and the Ribbon. At least they added some functionality with Excel (larger spreadsheets and better pivot table operations)....but all the features/commands were already in the programs if you knew how to use them, many on my customized toolbar (those I used, that is). The newer customization options not nearly as eloquent. Just like the search feature in XP is so much better than Win 7.

More function/less froo froo is all I care about.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,853,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
It feels like they've decided "this is how it's going to be" without considering that a billion PC users are pretty content with how it already is. I don't want dumb devices with clunky UIs to replace my PC.
I agree. "They" may have supposedly decided amongst themselves "this is how it's going to be" but in all actuality the consumers will make that decision and so far the consumers have stated that "they" are wrong.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I didn't realize that Apple was using Angry Birds as a marketing tool for their OS as well.
I don't know are they?

Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 PM

IMO metro should only launch when you convert your laptop to 'tablet' mode - it's all over the place jumping from one interface to the next. Plus metro hides too many functions, it's far from intuitive. In normal mode you should be able to run metro apps - but as a window on the desktop, like any other app.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
I don't know are they?
You tell me. Your posting about comparing Windows to OSX in this thread implies they do since this thread is about the use of Angry Birds to promote Windows.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You tell me. Your posting about comparing Windows to OSX in this thread implies they do since this thread is about the use of Angry Birds to promote Windows.
The thread is really about how microsoft has forced a phone interface on desktop users crippling the usability of the OS. The fact that they are using angry birds to market it is a pretty obvious indication of this. Microsoft seems to go from one blunder to fixing that blunder a bit, to yet another blunder. Apple does things wrong btw (itunes 11 anyone?), just not on the scale of microsoft. Despite the impression i'm giving i'm not some diehard fanboy, i'd really like them to get it right for once. Microsoft should have looked at what apple was doing and built on that rather than panic at the rise in tablet sales and build an unusable quazimodo product. They did this with vista after osx came out, but at least that time they didn't mess up this bad.

Last edited by archineer; 01-02-2013 at 02:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers