Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 07:48 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times

Advertisements

I'm an old person. Before I retired, I worked in a computerized office. I didn't want to have to spend a bunch of money on a computer for my home, but one late sleepless night, I saw an infomercial for something called WEBtv. Looked interesting and my #4 son bartered with a buddy for one and brought it to me. It was terrific and I had e-mail, Google, games, all right there on my TV screen. Cordless keyboard on my lap; PIP on the screen; coffee by my side. All was good.

But came the day when MSN bought out WEBtv and the good times ended. No more free upgrades. No more new and better technology. Fewer sites supported WEBtv/MSNtv and it became so frustrating that I didn't spend much time on-line. My kids bought me a lap top for Christmas '08 and I'm pretty good at most routine stuff. I get what I want (for the most part) out of the internet, and if it figures out how to cut my grass, I'll be livin' large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 10:34 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I wonder if these old folks know that you can watch old episodes of Matlock online? That'll get their numbers up.
A relative of mine borrowed most of my dvd's to watch when they couldn't get much of a picture on the tv. She said she liked this or that show, but was mostly watching movies. Won't do cable or dish. I almost did tell this person that with an internet connection and a few dollars a month for Netflix, they could watch a vast amount of stuff.

She gets pushy about how she doesn't want 'that' (the internet) so I don't mention stuff like that now.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:38 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
As I figured, most of these people are older. I think once the current 30 somethings reach senior citizen age, the thoughts of someone not being "connected" will be liken to someone who doesn't have indoor plumbing.
Once 30 something's reach 65 computers will be the size of blood cells.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:47 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Our closest newspaper is a weekly publication [not my town but an adjoining town], they have no website, no email, no web presence at all.

I find that after moving to this rural area, a great many businesses are not online.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:11 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Most Americans who don't currently go online have never gone online before -- and no one else in their household uses the Internet. Just over 20% of non-users say they know enough about technology to start going online if they wanted to, and only 10% said they're interested in using the internet or e-mail in the future.

Who are these neo-Luddites?

Mostly they're older -- 59% of U.S. seniors don't go online. Also, nearly 60% of U.S. adults who never completed high school don't use the Internet.
That is the problem. Only 20% of non-users are even capable of going online, if they wanted to. That does not leave a lot of room for growth. And has anybody ever tried to help a senior get online? It's one of the most frustrating experiences that I've ever had. They just sit there and stare at the screen, like its a TV.

Years ago when my dad was still alive, I bought him a computer, and showed him how to use it. It was a total waste of money. He never used it for anything more then basic e-mail. After about two years he even gave up on that. I don't even know what happened to the computer. I guess he either sold it or gave it away.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:29 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
My mother is one of those. She's 79 and simply refuses to do it. She's been a luddite all her life. Heck, she only got a mobile phone three years ago, and a barebones model at that.

Her one concession is that her DVD player links to Netflix. She loves that.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:58 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
And has anybody ever tried to help a senior get online? It's one of the most frustrating experiences that I've ever had.
Yep. What I really don't get is how someone can use the Internet for 10 years and still not be able to follow a simple direction like "Go to yahoo.com". They have no idea what a browser or address bar is or why they'd want one.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:51 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Once 30 something's reach 65 computers will be the size of blood cells.
Then the polls will say "59% of seniors are still using a PC with a keyboard/mouse". Kids will be talking about how stupid we are for not knowing how to use LaForge's VISOR (Google Glass).

Old 06-11-2013, 01:00 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Then the polls will say "59% of seniors are still using a PC with a keyboard/mouse". Kids will be talking about how stupid we are for not knowing how to use LaForge's VISOR (Google Glass).
More like "59% of seniors refuse neural transceivers, still insist on typing and speaking."

Old 06-11-2013, 04:00 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,461,491 times
Quote:
If we are still using google glasses then it will be seen as funny. Already they are working on contacts.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers