Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 07:33 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,258,873 times

Advertisements

In Windows XP, there was a place to set so that Microsoft would ask before downloading or download and ask to install the monthly updates. Think we had three choices. Does this setting exist in Windows 7? I cannot find it.

Also, in Windows XP, my computer cleaned out all cookies, history and a number of other things before shutting down. What I had was a special Dell tool called a 'cleaner' and you chose everything you wanted it to clean out. I did that at shutdown. We can't have the Dell cleaner with Windows 7. So, is there a place to set what you want done at shut-down?

I am also getting surprise Dell "scan your computer". I have no idea what it is scanning and/or "fixing" but I'd rather not have this going on in the dark. Especially since it just does it with no announcements or explanations until it says "Restart your Computer".

In all these cases above, everything is happening automatically behind my back and announcing surprises like Restart your Computer. I'd be more comfortable if I knew what was going on.

So, where are the settings that let us choose in Windows 7? Surely we still have them? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 07:55 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
In Windows XP, there was a place to set so that Microsoft would ask before downloading or download and ask to install the monthly updates. Think we had three choices. Does this setting exist in Windows 7? I cannot find it..
Click on your Start button.
Click "All Programs"
Click "Windows Update"
On the left, you will see "Settings"
"Settings" will give you the controls to make changes to the Update Behavior.

Alternately...
On the top right, in the Command Bar, click "Safety" and the bottom choice is "Windows Update."
"Command Bar" has the "Home" Button, "Page" button, "Safety" button, "Tools" button...

Quote:
Also, in Windows XP, my computer cleaned out all cookies, history and a number of other things before shutting down. What I had was a special Dell tool called a 'cleaner' and you chose everything you wanted it to clean out. I did that at shutdown. We can't have the Dell cleaner with Windows 7. So, is there a place to set what you want done at shut-down?.
Again, in your Command Bar...

Clicking "Safety" gives you the opportunity to manually delete Browsing History, Temp Files, etc.

Click "Tools" and at the bottom of that box, Click "Internet Options"
"Internet Options" offers tons of options, but you will immediately see the choice to click a box to delete Temp Files, browsing history, and cookies automatically whenever you close the browser.

No clue on the stuff below........

Quote:
I am also getting surprise Dell "scan your computer". I have no idea what it is scanning and/or "fixing" but I'd rather not have this going on in the dark. Especially since it just does it with no announcements or explanations until it says "Restart your Computer".

In all these cases above, everything is happening automatically behind my back and announcing surprises like Restart your Computer. I'd be more comfortable if I knew what was going on.

So, where are the settings that let us choose in Windows 7? Surely we still have them? Thank you.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Click on your Start button.
Click "All Programs"
Click "Windows Update"
On the left, you will see "Settings"
"Settings" will give you the controls to make changes to the Update Behavior.

Alternately...
On the top right, in the Command Bar, click "Safety" and the bottom choice is "Windows Update."
"Command Bar" has the "Home" Button, "Page" button, "Safety" button, "Tools" button...

Again, in your Command Bar...

Clicking "Safety" gives you the opportunity to manually delete Browsing History, Temp Files, etc.

Click "Tools" and at the bottom of that box, Click "Internet Options"
"Internet Options" offers tons of options, but you will immediately see the choice to click a box to delete Temp Files, browsing history, and cookies automatically whenever you close the browser.

No clue on the stuff below........
Thank you very much. I shall print a copy of this and get it all under my control - I hope. I'm not familiar with a "command bar" but I'll find it. Surely do appreciate all this.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 AM

Here you go, Hazel:
I snipped the Command Bar from my screen:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1381329798
Attached Thumbnails
Settings in Windows 7-command-bar-snip.png  

Old 10-09-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Here you go, Hazel:
I snipped the Command Bar from my screen:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1381329798

Thanks.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:16 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
The Dell scanning is probably a program, or series of programs, installed on the computer by Dell when you purchased it.

You can look through the programs that are installed and the programs that run at startup by using either msconfig or Ccleaner.

msconfig is a Windows program and can be started by Start/Run/msconfig

I have not used msconfig for quite a while, but finding the installed and startup programs should be obvious.

I use Ccleaner to do this. The link is to the download page for Ccleaner at filehippo which is a safe site. I've used it for years with no problems. It also does a great job of cleaning the junk off your computer and a bunch of other stuff.

At the left side in Ccleaner:

Tools/Uninstall to see the installed programs. You can uninstall them here.

Tools/Startup to see the programs that run when Windows starts. Here you can tell a program to stop running at startup, then tell to run again if need be. Check the tabs across the top as well.
This is great for troubleshooting because you can stop a program from running, reboot, check for changes, and if need be, tell the program to run again, and reboot. Doing this with one suspected startup program at a time can help pinpoint problems.

And both screens an be copied to a text file, which means you can copy them to a post on City Data and people can help you with your problems by looking at what is running.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The Dell scanning is probably a program, or series of programs, installed on the computer by Dell when you purchased it.

You can look through the programs that are installed and the programs that run at startup by using either msconfig or Ccleaner.

msconfig is a Windows program and can be started by Start/Run/msconfig

I have not used msconfig for quite a while, but finding the installed and startup programs should be obvious.

I use Ccleaner to do this. The link is to the download page for Ccleaner at filehippo which is a safe site. I've used it for years with no problems. It also does a great job of cleaning the junk off your computer and a bunch of other stuff.

At the left side in Ccleaner:

Tools/Uninstall to see the installed programs. You can uninstall them here.

Tools/Startup to see the programs that run when Windows starts. Here you can tell a program to stop running at startup, then tell to run again if need be. Check the tabs across the top as well.
This is great for troubleshooting because you can stop a program from running, reboot, check for changes, and if need be, tell the program to run again, and reboot. Doing this with one suspected startup program at a time can help pinpoint problems.

And both screens an be copied to a text file, which means you can copy them to a post on City Data and people can help you with your problems by looking at what is running.
Thank you. This is going to take some real study. I am curious about that Ccleaner. I'm wondering if it is the same as the Cleaner I had on XP. A support technician put it on my XP and I used it to the end. When I bought the new computer, I was told that I could not have it on 7. I must take a look at that.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:47 AM

Mike, you said I could click to automatically delete Temp Files, etc., "whenever you close the browser". Isn't a "closed browser" one that you've hit the red X on and are not currently using? If so, my browsers are almost never open. Also, if I am reading this right and if I used the browser several time, it would be deleting everything all day long, not at shut down time.

Am I interpreting correctly? I am still not finding any Command Bar. Windows 7 for Dummies says every file page has one but I'm not finding one on any page. A gremlin perhaps hid it? :-)

I'll keep at it. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Mike, you said I could click to automatically delete Temp Files, etc., "whenever you close the browser". Isn't a "closed browser" one that you've hit the red X on and are not currently using? If so, my browsers are almost never open. Also, if I am reading this right and if I used the browser several time, it would be deleting everything all day long, not at shut down time.

Am I interpreting correctly? I am still not finding any Command Bar. Windows 7 for Dummies says every file page has one but I'm not finding one on any page. A gremlin perhaps hid it? :-)

I'll keep at it. Thanks.

Hazel,

You probably have Command Bar disabled. To Enable it:

Right Click in the toolbar at the top of the Internet Explorer page, in the open space.
You should get a drop down box that shows you several toolbars.

Menu Bar
Favorites Bar
Command Bar
Status Bar
And any other toolbars you may have loaded, like Ask, etc.

Make sure you have a check mark in front of Command Bar, and IF YOU ALSO HAVE THE FAVORITES BAR CHECKED, you will see the Command Bar appear in the right side of the Toolbar, just like the thumbnail I posted.
If you do NOT have the Favorites Bar checked when you check the Command Bar, you should see the Command Bar on the left side.
You might fool around and check and uncheck and recheck ALL the toolbars in the drop down to familiarize yourself with them and their locations.

Here, one of the other guys may be more help, as either I am vague, or cannot explain well...
Your "red X" would indicate a Browser Tab, I think, and that Tab would be open in a Browser Window, where you can have many open tabs.
Then, closing the Window, i.e., closing ALL tabs would be your exit that would delete your temp files, etc.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:54 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,667,364 times
Quote:
Hazel,

You probably have Command Bar disabled. To Enable it:

Right Click in the toolbar at the top of the Internet Explorer page, in the open space.
You should get a drop down box that shows you several toolbars.

Menu Bar
Favorites Bar
Command Bar
Status Bar
And any other toolbars you may have loaded, like Ask, etc.

Make sure you have a check mark in front of Command Bar, and IF YOU ALSO HAVE THE FAVORITES BAR CHECKED, you will see the Command Bar appear in the right side of the Toolbar, just like the thumbnail I posted.
If you do NOT have the Favorites Bar checked when you check the Command Bar, you should see the Command Bar on the left side.
You might fool around and check and uncheck and recheck ALL the toolbars in the drop down to familiarize yourself with them and their locations.

Here, one of the other guys may be more help, as either I am vague, or cannot explain well...
Your "red X" would indicate a Browser Tab, I think, and that Tab would be open in a Browser Window, where you can have many open tabs.
Then, closing the Window, i.e., closing ALL tabs would be your exit that would delete your temp files, etc.
This will only delete those items for IE, so if the OP is using any other browser, it won't help them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers