Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 08:49 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmaRgahi View Post
hello Folks,

I am just wondering if anyone yet has reserved the Windows 10 or not.. If you are having a hard time getting the Windows little icon to "Reserve" your free windows 10, let me know and I will help you and walk you through to get the icon so you could reserve Win 10 OS.

Please note, some of you might already know that you can only get Windows 10 free on July 29th if you have Windows 7 or higher.

Thanks
Yes, on both of my computers running 8.1. I can only hope it is better than what I have now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 06:43 PM

265 posts, read 348,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Yes, on both of my computers running 8.1. I can only hope it is better than what I have now.
It should be better.

Question, do you think you could copy the Win files into a flash drive and install it on a different computer other than the one you reserved it on?

Old 07-19-2015, 06:46 PM

It only looks like Windows 7 and 8.1. So we really wouldn't know until we try the actual final version, since I only have worked with the Technical Preview like many other folks have.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:07 AM

540 posts, read 1,106,300 times
I have not yet...will be waiting to see how things go. Not crazy about having no control over windows update in W10. Speaking as someone who has seen updates cause a system to stop booting.

Old 07-20-2015, 07:17 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,871,660 times
I have not reserved it - I have a home network with Windows 7 (including 7 Ultimate) and Windows 8.1. I usually wait about a year after the initial release to make sure all the bugs have been corrected. Plus, I'd prefer a complete fresh install, wipe out the old OS and replace it with a new one, I'm not sure how they'll do the upgrade but I'm usually hesitant to do such upgrades.

I also found out that Windows 10, the Home/basic version, will not allow you to set your own Windows Update schedule. After the problems I've seen with some of their updates, I would prefer to wait a few days before installing them. I also select the updates that I need and pertain to the computer I'm updating, not all of whatever they send, whether I need them or not. That's why if I were to ever order Windows 10, I'd get the a Professional/Enterprise version, which will allow to select what updates to install, and when.

Old 07-21-2015, 02:02 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,242,367 times
I was going to wait until the 29th, but then read it would be staggered beginning that day, and also that build 10240 was going to be the RTM version, so I went ahead and upgraded with the insider preview at home and at my office.

Gotta say. . . . I think its a fantastic OS.

Everything is running smoothly. The notification center is one of my favorite features, and Cortana in the task bar is excellent. I like being able to just type what I want, whether its a search or to launch a program, and have it work as expected. I was back and forth on the full screen start menu, but i'm sticking with full screen for now; I really like this version. The live tiles I can live without, but I have found the weather live tile to be useful. I can quickly hit the windows key, see real time weather, then windows key out and go back to work. I like being able to group all of my tiles/programs in the start menu also.

I was hoping for a onedrive app like what I have on my windows 8 tablet, but so far we still only have the folder version that was available in windows 7.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_nightowl View Post
I have not yet...will be waiting to see how things go. Not crazy about having no control over windows update in W10. Speaking as someone who has seen updates cause a system to stop booting.
You cannot schedule updates on Basic Version of Windows 10. But, if you have a step up version then you definitely can!

Old 07-23-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I have not reserved it - I have a home network with Windows 7 (including 7 Ultimate) and Windows 8.1. I usually wait about a year after the initial release to make sure all the bugs have been corrected. Plus, I'd prefer a complete fresh install, wipe out the old OS and replace it with a new one, I'm not sure how they'll do the upgrade but I'm usually hesitant to do such upgrades.

I also found out that Windows 10, the Home/basic version, will not allow you to set your own Windows Update schedule. After the problems I've seen with some of their updates, I would prefer to wait a few days before installing them. I also select the updates that I need and pertain to the computer I'm updating, not all of whatever they send, whether I need them or not. That's why if I were to ever order Windows 10, I'd get the a Professional/Enterprise version, which will allow to select what updates to install, and when.
I would not wait more than a year, since it is free for the first year, I think I will find a way to install it on a different Hard Drive, or partition, will see how things go, but trust me, this OS will be much better than previous ones especially Win 8 and Vista.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
I was going to wait until the 29th, but then read it would be staggered beginning that day, and also that build 10240 was going to be the RTM version, so I went ahead and upgraded with the insider preview at home and at my office.

Gotta say. . . . I think its a fantastic OS.

Everything is running smoothly. The notification center is one of my favorite features, and Cortana in the task bar is excellent. I like being able to just type what I want, whether its a search or to launch a program, and have it work as expected. I was back and forth on the full screen start menu, but i'm sticking with full screen for now; I really like this version. The live tiles I can live without, but I have found the weather live tile to be useful. I can quickly hit the windows key, see real time weather, then windows key out and go back to work. I like being able to group all of my tiles/programs in the start menu also.

I was hoping for a onedrive app like what I have on my windows 8 tablet, but so far we still only have the folder version that was available in windows 7.
Cortana is awesome! and I think that Microsoft copied Apple as far "Free Upgrades" and "Spotlight" which means you can type anything and get results.

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2015, 11:03 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmaRgahi View Post
hello Folks,

I am just wondering if anyone yet has reserved the Windows 10 or not.. If you are having a hard time getting the Windows little icon to "Reserve" your free windows 10, let me know and I will help you and walk you through to get the icon so you could reserve Win 10 OS.

Please note, some of you might already know that you can only get Windows 10 free on July 29th if you have Windows 7 or higher.

Thanks
Hi Alma,

I ran the Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser and got:

SUCCESS: Attempted to run the scheduled task "Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig" .

but no Windows icon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers