Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 04:32 PM

265 posts, read 348,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Hi Alma,

I ran the Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser and got:

SUCCESS: Attempted to run the scheduled task "Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig" .

but no Windows icon...
Did you reboot? What version of Win 7 are you running?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 05:51 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times
Yes, the computer has been restarted several times.

Windows 7 Home Premium

Service Pack 1

Old 07-27-2015, 11:05 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,871,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmaRgahi View Post
I would not wait more than a year, since it is free for the first year, I think I will find a way to install it on a different Hard Drive, or partition, will see how things go, but trust me, this OS will be much better than previous ones especially Win 8 and Vista.
Just because it's free, it doesn't mean it's the best deal. The free version will be the basic/home edition (forgot what the exact name is). If I were to get Windows 10, I'd do a fresh install, not upgrade.

Comparing Windows 8.1 to Vista is like comparing a Chevrolet Corvette to a beat up old Ford Pinto. I have a desktop computer that had Vista and I've seen more BSODs on it than I've ever seen on any other computers. I replaced the OS with Windows 7 Ultimate 3 years ago and it works great now.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:22 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,258,710 times
Just a quick question. My relative just bought a new desktop computer and it has windows 8 on it. Before doing anything with it, should she install the new windows 10 on it? I thought it would be better to do that now before doing anything else with it. Thanks much.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:50 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,666,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Just because it's free, it doesn't mean it's the best deal. The free version will be the basic/home edition (forgot what the exact name is). If I were to get Windows 10, I'd do a fresh install, not upgrade.

Comparing Windows 8.1 to Vista is like comparing a Chevrolet Corvette to a beat up old Ford Pinto. I have a desktop computer that had Vista and I've seen more BSODs on it than I've ever seen on any other computers. I replaced the OS with Windows 7 Ultimate 3 years ago and it works great now.
The free version will be the equivalent replacement for whatever version you currently have.

The general SKUs are identical to Windows 8 (Home, Pro, Enterprise), and Windows 7 Basic or Starter will get upgrade to Home (the equivalent to Home Pro).

It's a hassle, but once you get the upgrade you can do a fresh install. I just reloaded my personal tower with Win7, and will pave and reload it if the upgrade has any issues (I have a full image to fall back to if needed).

While Vista wasn't the greatest start ever, it really wasn't that bad. I used it in a virtual machine 5 days a week until earlier this year (and on physical hardware until about two years ago). I've been using it since RTM and had no real issues. It wasn't 7 or 8, but it was still better than XP in most ways.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:00 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Quote:
[color=slategray][b]The free version will be the basic/home edition (forgot what the exact name is).
Uhmmm , so if you had, let's say Windows 7 Ultimate
(which I need for the foreign language capability)
Then you get Win 10 installed *free* but their lowest edition ??

But it does say this : (I assume this is not an example - it does say *ie* ...)
*The edition of Windows 10 installed will be based
on the logical edition of Windows installed, ie. Windows 8 Core (Single Language)
will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home, Windows 7 Professional will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.*
(I assume this is not an example - it does say *ie* ... if it was an example, it would have said *eg*)

But then also this :
*If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Center will be removed.*

So if you did have Win 7 ULT, you do get *all* of the ULT feaures *except* Win Media Center !

<<If I were to get Windows 10, I'd do a fresh install, not upgrade. >>
The only way to do this is to get the *free* upgrade, then do a complete install,
make sure all is OK, and make your restore backup copy.
Then do a fresh install from that media !

I am just *throwing* out some of these *what if's*

In the end, I am not so sure if this will all happen seamlessly ...

If you read this, you may have wished you never even started ...

Kind of sad when you *up*grade, and the new stuff has a section in their specs, which are labeled:
Feature Feature deprecation !! (find out what that word really means !!)
I admit these specs are for a *pre-release*,
so who knows what he real final will look like ?!

Last edited by irman; 07-28-2015 at 08:30 AM..

Old 07-29-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
The free version will be the equivalent replacement for whatever version you currently have.

The general SKUs are identical to Windows 8 (Home, Pro, Enterprise), and Windows 7 Basic or Starter will get upgrade to Home (the equivalent to Home Pro).
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Uhmmm , so if you had, let's say Windows 7 Ultimate
(which I need for the foreign language capability)
Then you get Win 10 installed *free* but their lowest edition ??

But it does say this : (I assume this is not an example - it does say *ie* ...)
*The edition of Windows 10 installed will be based
on the logical edition of Windows installed, ie. Windows 8 Core (Single Language)
will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home, Windows 7 Professional will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.*
(I assume this is not an example - it does say *ie* ... if it was an example, it would have said *eg*)
Sorry, my bad;

I'd still like to wait a while to avoid the problems Windows usually has in the initial release, and from what I've been reading, that seems to be the case with Windows 10. I'll wait.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post

While Vista wasn't the greatest start ever, it really wasn't that bad. I used it in a virtual machine 5 days a week until earlier this year (and on physical hardware until about two years ago). I've been using it since RTM and had no real issues. It wasn't 7 or 8, but it was still better than XP in most ways.
My brother in-law also had Vista on his HP tower, he had problems before but they were fixed, then again he wasn't using the computer too much.

My older HP tower came pre-loaded with Vista (64-bit) and I got tired of the problems I was having, that's why I replaced the OS with 7 Ultimate. LOL.. I joke about 7 being Vista, with all the problems fixed.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:55 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,666,419 times
Quote:
My brother in-law also had Vista on his HP tower, he had problems before but they were fixed, then again he wasn't using the computer too much.

My older HP tower came pre-loaded with Vista (64-bit) and I got tired of the problems I was having, that's why I replaced the OS with 7 Ultimate. LOL.. I joke about 7 being Vista, with all the problems fixed.
Don't get me wrong, 7 is better in every way.

I work in software development, so we tend to adopt new OSes fairly early. We built a new machine for the Vista RTM (nice hardware, but nothing exotic), and I used that hardware for all work for that client until a few years ago when I moved it to a VM. The only change made over the years was to go from 4 to 8 GB RAM, and it was reloaded once. On the reload I went from Ultimate to some lower SKU (but I don't remember which).

We had some legacy software that couldn't be moved to a newer OS, and had to keep Vista around. Now that we've retired that old software, I work most days in a pair of Win8 VMs, but they'll be 10 in a week or two, as will my development Win8 tablet.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I put my new win8.1 tablet on reserve to upgrade to 10 but kept my win7 desktop intact with no upgrade. I hate - hate hate hate windows 8. I actually prefer the old win95 but obviously that isn't an option, so win7 is the closest thing to it that modern software can handle.

My plan: To play around on the tablet once it actually installs win10 (It still hasn't actually downloaded it yet, or given me the notification saying it's trying to), and see how I like it. If I do like it, I know I have a year to get it on my win7 machine, if I want it free for life. Not in a hurry since my win7 machine works just fine as is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers