Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 12:59 PM

1,333 posts, read 888,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The subject indicates the OP wants to learn computer science. You quote indicates he is asking for which programming language to start with. It would be better to guide him to learn computer science than programming languages if that's what he is interested in...
Maybe this is because there's no real programming degrees?
Most people who wanna be computer programmers would get degrees in Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 01:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,245,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Maybe this is because there's no real programming degrees?
Most people who wanna be computer programmers would get degrees in Computer Science or Computer Engineering.
True. There's no plumbing degrees either...

Skilled trades like programming and plumbing don't need degrees.

It's not clear whether the OP wants to learn computer science or programming...

Old 12-30-2015, 11:12 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,135,705 times
Quote:

I agree. OP needs to be clear as to whether he/she wants to switch to a career in computer science or programming.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I agree. OP needs to be clear as to whether he/she wants to switch to a career in computer science or programming.
I feel like this is a really weird distinction you guys keep making.
Computer Science encompasses Programming. It's not one or the other. I gave a bit of info on programming because OP makes a lot of mentions about programming and specifically asks about it.

Quote:

Have you ever searched for a programming job? Unless your a freelancer with some impressive projects under your belt, you will have a real struggle finding a Computer Programming job that doesn't have a 2 or 4 year degree requirement or equivalent of experience (which you'll struggle to get without those impressive projects.)
This is a search I've done a number of times.

Old 01-03-2016, 04:59 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,364,302 times
Quote:
Computer Science encompasses Programming. It's not one or the other. I gave a bit of info on programming because OP makes a lot of mentions about programming and specifically asks about it.
It's weird to say that computer science encompasses programming. My field is physics. One could say that physics encompasses electricity and as a result learning how be an electrician would help you become a physicist. That's farther from the truth than one can imagine. Similarly, learning how to program does not help you become a computer scientist. Computer programming, like electrical work, is a skilled trade and is built from fundamentals of the computer science field.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:00 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,364,302 times
Quote:
Have you ever searched for a programming job? Unless your a freelancer with some impressive projects under your belt, you will have a real struggle finding a Computer Programming job that doesn't have a 2 or 4 year degree requirement or equivalent of experience (which you'll struggle to get without those impressive projects.)
You don't need a degree to become a computer programmer or even find a job. Have you searched for jobs in silicon valley or NYC?

Old 01-04-2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
It's weird to say that computer science encompasses programming. My field is physics. One could say that physics encompasses electricity and as a result learning how be an electrician would help you become a physicist. That's farther from the truth than one can imagine. Similarly, learning how to program does not help you become a computer scientist. Computer programming, like electrical work, is a skilled trade and is built from fundamentals of the computer science field.
This is again, a very weird comparison. Something of a false dichotomy.
There is no programming degree. If you want a degree with a desired field of computer programming, you'd go with either Comp Sci or Comp Eng.
If you want a general degree in Physics, you can do that. If you want to become an electrician, there's degrees for that. This is not comparable with programming and a lack of programming degrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
You don't need a degree to become a computer programmer or even find a job. Have you searched for jobs in silicon valley or NYC?
I added a caveat there. If you have some impressive projects that show you're worth money, you can get a job. Equivalent experience encompasses these things.
To answer your question, no I have not.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:38 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,241,372 times
Quote:

I absolutely agree with you. Virtually all programming/coding positions available these days will require a "computer science or related" degree or "x years professional experience". When I started working in IT 30 years ago, any bachelor's degree and some programming courses worked because so few schools offered computer science or computer engineering majors. About the closest you might get was Math. Today the situation is very different.

OP, you aren't crazy at all. I spent years working on a PhD in history and then more years teaching before I switched careers to go into IT.

One way to get into programming through the "back door" is to become a "super user" creating queries/reports from data bases. Building expertise in SQL or SPSS to add to what you know about your current field might enable you to change the direction of your career without necessarily leaving the field. It's often easier for someone trained in a specific discipline to pick up the programming skills later rather than for a programmer to learn the nuances of the discipline. For example, I took one accounting course ever, so if I need to create a report for the Finance Office, they have to explain to me exactly what they want. One of the finance accountants learned MS Access on her own so she can run her own reports as needed. She's my "authority" on all things financial that I produce because she understands both the accounting and the logic.

I think learning Java or C++ is a good general base for a lot of modern programming. Learning SQL is even more portable. Adding Web "languages" like HTML5, XML, Javascript etc. might enable you to get into web programming. My shop has adopted a Java off-shoot, Groovy, and its framework, Grails, as well as Jasper Reports to replace our reliance on ORACLE TOOLS like FORMS and REPORTS. SQL works on both the old software and the new. HTML5, XML, and Javascript only work on the new.

Good luck.

Old 01-04-2016, 01:28 PM

8,418 posts, read 13,556,695 times
There are a lot of good responses and I agree with those who mentioned that OP needs to know what area within IT field his/her focus will be on. From the initial post, it seems she/he had experience in programming and interest in but even programming has sub field. As it was discussed in other threads, Java, HTML, PHP are for web programming and Python (which I am currently interested in learning), Visual .NET, C, C++ could be used for anything. They all have pros and cons as well.

I am a lot like harhar, a support tech in its most general definition. I deal with servers, workstations, users, software and hardware. I like this field because it is involved with almost all areas.
The issue/projects I am dealing with could allow me to be working on network or a workstation/server or with an end user. It could be with hardware or software. In that sense it is very colorful and exciting. Some days, I work mostly from my workstation, do things mostly remotely, some days more hands-on.

Unlike harhar, I actually do have interest in learning programming but thus far, I have mostly used batch files/scripts that I have written to get the work done. Actual programming was never a dire necessity.
Still, I would like to learn programming as a hobby and develop applications for personal use and also to share with others. Accomplishing the task of creating a useful programs that would be used by many seems like a very fulfilling experience for the uber geek in me.

That said, you will need to know which area you'd want to specialize in. Which specific area within Information Technology do you think you would be happy working in?
Let's assume programming/software development is where you got your mind set on. Now, think about what type of programming you would like to learn, are you more interested in doing front-end web development? If yes, then focus on learning front-end web development tools as well as related coding tools such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc. You prefer back-end web development, then focus on Java, PHP, ASP, etc.

When you are ready to tackle what you are most interested in, all you need is free time, diligence and a good learning source. I prefer books so I can learn at my own pace and schedule with minimal cost. I read the material and practice immediately after.
You might;
a- Buy the study materials at discounted prices on Amazon
b- Cheaper on this site (if you find it)
c- Download a free PDF version from here (if you find it)

Good luck!

Old 01-04-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
There are a lot of good responses and I agree with those who mentioned that OP needs to know what area within IT field his/her focus will be on. From the initial post, it seems she/he had experience in programming and interest in but even programming has sub field. As it was discussed in other threads, Java, HTML, PHP are for web programming and Python (which I am currently interested in learning), Visual .NET, C, C++ could be used for anything. They all have pros and cons as well.

I am a lot like harhar, a support tech in its most general definition. I deal with servers, workstations, users, software and hardware. I like this field because it is involved with almost all areas.
The issue/projects I am dealing with could allow me to be working on network or a workstation/server or with an end user. It could be with hardware or software. In that sense it is very colorful and exciting. Some days, I work mostly from my workstation, do things mostly remotely, some days more hands-on.

Unlike harhar, I actually do have interest in learning programming but thus far, I have mostly used batch files/scripts that I have written to get the work done. Actual programming was never a dire necessity.
Still, I would like to learn programming as a hobby and develop applications for personal use and also to share with others. Accomplishing the task of creating a useful programs that would be used by many seems like a very fulfilling experience for the uber geek in me.

That said, you will need to know which area you'd want to specialize in. Which specific area within Information Technology do you think you would be happy working in?
Let's assume programming/software development is where you got your mind set on. Now, think about what type of programming you would like to learn, are you more interested in doing front-end web development? If yes, then focus on learning front-end web development tools as well as related coding tools such as HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc. You prefer back-end web development, then focus on Java, PHP, ASP, etc.

When you are ready to tackle what you are most interested in, all you need is free time, diligence and a good learning source. I prefer books so I can learn at my own pace and schedule with minimal cost. I read the material and practice immediately after.
You might;
a- Buy the study materials at discounted prices on Amazon
b- Cheaper on this site (if you find it)
c- Download a free PDF version from here (if you find it)

Good luck!
Generally good advice, but I wanna point something out that isn't mentioned here. Learning one particular area of programming will vastly help any other area of programming. Don't feel like you have to know what your end goal is now to get started. Chances are you won't be using that language in the field anyhow.
I've been using Lua, Java, and C for years now; but just recently, my boss asked me to work on a new project. Basically we want a VPN to send data to a FTP server and that data should be recorded into a database and a web interface should display it functionally.
It took less than a week to pick up PHP, HTML, JavaScript, BASIC, and SQL. It's not because I'm a super genius. It's because a LOT of the knowledge you'll gain is language independent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers