Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 02:17 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,133,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
you will have a real struggle finding a Computer Programming job that doesn't have a 2 or 4 year degree requirement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
I absolutely agree with you. Virtually all programming/coding positions available these days will require a "computer science or related" degree
"59.8 percent of those with software engineer, programmer or computer scientist titles in one study did not carry a CS degree; 36 percent of IT workers do not hold a college degree at all, according to the Economic Policy Institute; 40 percent of programmers on Stack Overflow, one of the largest developer websites, are self-taught; or 14 percent of the members of some teams at Google alone don’t have a college degrees"

- Unlocking Trapped Engineers | TechCrunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 05:20 PM

8,355 posts, read 13,505,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r
Learning one particular area of programming will vastly help any other area of programming. Don't feel like you have to know what your end goal is now to get started. Chances are you won't be using that language in the field anyhow.
I've been using Lua, Java, and C for years now; but just recently, my boss asked me to work on a new project.
You might be correct but in your example, you are already working for the company so not sure if that really applies.
If you were applying at a company with the same programming skills you have now and they wanted a completely different set of programming skills, do you feel they would still hire you, especially over someone that may have all or some of the skills they wanted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
"59.8 percent of those with software engineer, programmer or computer scientist titles in one study did not carry a CS degree; 36 percent of IT workers do not hold a college degree at all, according to the Economic Policy Institute; 40 percent of programmers on Stack Overflow, one of the largest developer websites, are self-taught; or 14 percent of the members of some teams at Google alone don’t have a college degrees"

- Unlocking Trapped Engineers | TechCrunch
College degree seems to be coming up as a requirement not because it is really relevant (it isn't) but in the minds of companies and hiring managers, it means a more qualified or more educated candidate which to them is getting a better candidate for their money. It also works are a good excuse to weed out applicants. Realistically though, how applicable a college degree to IT jobs, especially if the degree was not IT related? I spoke to quite a few guys with degrees on IT and not one believed it would have made any difference if they didn't have one. I learned most of my knowledge/skills on the job, a smaller portion of it from a technical school that specialized on computer/networking training. A 1-year course, 5 hours a day, 5 days a week. I initially went to a college but seeing how bloated their program was (85% junk to fill up required units and 15% about Information Technology), I dropped out after one semester. No regrets. If a company is so narrow-minded that they want to proactively eliminate excellent candidates to hire a potential bonehead with a degree, it is their loss as well. Smarter companies often give you a chance by stating "A college degree or 4 years experience in the related field...).

I noticed the trend towards hiring people with degree became more noticeable after the recession. Why?
Because employer's have the upperhand due to more applicants than (good) openings.
I noticed the requirements become more relaxed the less desirable a job is.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 01-19-2016 at 05:29 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 05:34 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,916,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
...College degree seems to be coming up as a requirement not because it is really relevant (it isn't) but in the minds of companies and hiring managers, it means a more qualified or more educated candidate...
I can only hire developers with a STEM degree, preferably CS. This isn't corporate policy, it's a customer requirement.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:27 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,677,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I can only hire developers with a STEM degree, preferably CS. This isn't corporate policy, it's a customer requirement.
I'm on the opposite side of this fence. A degree, or lack there of, won't change the interview or hiring process with me at all.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,916,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
I'm on the opposite side of this fence. A degree, or lack there of, won't change the interview or hiring process with me at all.
I'm not making a statement as to the qualifications of the developers with/without degrees, it's just a requirement specified by our customers.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:21 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,677,601 times
Quote:
I'm not making a statement as to the qualifications of the developers with/without degrees, it's just a requirement specified by our customers.
I understood, just adding to the overall conversation.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:28 AM

8,355 posts, read 13,505,330 times
Quote:
That is totally understandable.
My comments were more for those that required a degree regardless of the major and/or if the position really needed/required it for whatever reason.
I'd have no problem obtaining one and spending the time/$ IF it really did matter for my line of work.
Fortunately, candidates with relevant experience and certifications typically prevail, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers