Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 09:10 PM

25 posts, read 36,860 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

In May, I completed a Master's degree in a psychological science (after obtaining a bachelor's in Human Services) and spent 5 years working in the human services industry with children who have developmental disabilities. I am kind of regretting the educational decisions, but not the experience, as I learned SO much.

I am still fascinated by the field I spent so much time in; however, there are multiple reasons (I won't detail them all here) that I would like to try something new.

About nine or ten years ago, I took some PHP classes, HTML, etc. and was quite good at those, so I know I am mentally capable and I also enjoyed it.

I just don't know where to begin, or whether I should begin pursuing a new line of work. I found some inexpensive courses in Java, C#, SQL, etc that I could take, but what should I start with? I was thinking an introductory course in Java would be a good place to begin.

Any advice from current programmers/ developers/ career switchers? Since I already have a bachelor's and master's degree, I have no desire to rack up more student loans or attempt a new degree... thinking certifications and some work experience is key.

Sorry for the long post! Any advice?

Thanks!
katnc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 09:22 PM

25 posts, read 36,860 times
P.S. I know that many programmers reading my post will think I am in over my head, but I am not looking to be where you are right now. I would like to take some classes while working, get an entry level position and work my way up just like everyone else. I just don't know where to begin and whether employers will take me seriously given my past education. Thanks again!!!

Old 12-27-2015, 10:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
You're in luck because psychological science and computer science have great value together in the marketplace. So while you're looking to move away from human services, I feel that the time you have invested will create interesting opportunities for you when combined with your future investment in computer science.

Since you're interested in learning computer science, I suggest you start with the fundamentals. Computer science is an academic discipline focused primarily on theory and research with the goal of furthering the field. Focusing on learning programming languages is not going to assist in your desire to learn computer science.

One of the best ways to learn computer science (as with most academic fields) is to read books and academic papers in the field.

Here's some suggestions from great authors in the field:

Intro to Computer Science: A Balanced Introduction to Computer Science (3rd Edition): 9780132166751: Computer Science Books @ Amazon.com

Advanced Data Structures: Advanced Data Structures: Peter Brass: 9780511800191: Amazon.com: Books

Computer Architecture: http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Organ...d+architecture

Old 12-27-2015, 10:35 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,070 times
There's a TON of info just in the past few years regarding coding and there are bootcamps and self-guided schools that can focus your efforts:

10 Best Coding Bootcamps for Those on a Budget

https://www.codecademy.com/

I really hate coding and only know a DOS/UNIX commands and enough scripting to make some batch files, but I leave the programing to the actual programmers.

But if I didn't hate coding, I'd probably start with HTML 5 as that seems the easiest; most everything else is a version of C.

I have some friends that are getting into Python, because I think there's a lack of qualified Python devs out there.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:35 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
katnc -- you're not crazy! :-) I have a similar educational background -- Behavioral Science, but ditched human behavior and am working in an animal behavior field. Prior to Win95 I was the family's go-to person when it came to anything computer-related, but I gave up computering when things started moving ahead so fast I couldn't keep up.

However, more and more I bump into the need for good computer skills which include html, css, working with various OSs, creating complicated databases and spreadsheets and syncing them, etc., etc., etc.. So, since I enjoyed the olden days of computers, I'd probably enjoy today's, too.

I really like the offerings found at coursera.com. Free or cheap quality courses from good colleges and universities. To test if I'm truly interested in revisiting the world of computers (or whether it's just a fleeting thought), I'm contemplating a course in HTML, CSS and JavaScript from the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.

Here's a sampling of the coursera courses and classes:
https://www.coursera.org/courses?lan...mputer-science

Old 12-28-2015, 06:49 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
I concur with CSS, Stu Nicholls does some amazing things with it.
Stu Nicholls | CSS PLAY | CSS Demonstrations

Javascript. XML. (Ajax)

Last edited by TerraDown; 12-28-2015 at 07:30 AM..

Old 12-28-2015, 07:31 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnc View Post
Hello all,

In May, I completed a Master's degree in a psychological science (after obtaining a bachelor's in Human Services) and spent 5 years working in the human services industry with children who have developmental disabilities. I am kind of regretting the educational decisions, but not the experience, as I learned SO much.

I am still fascinated by the field I spent so much time in; however, there are multiple reasons (I won't detail them all here) that I would like to try something new.

About nine or ten years ago, I took some PHP classes, HTML, etc. and was quite good at those, so I know I am mentally capable and I also enjoyed it.

I just don't know where to begin, or whether I should begin pursuing a new line of work. I found some inexpensive courses in Java, C#, SQL, etc that I could take, but what should I start with? I was thinking an introductory course in Java would be a good place to begin.

Any advice from current programmers/ developers/ career switchers? Since I already have a bachelor's and master's degree, I have no desire to rack up more student loans or attempt a new degree... thinking certifications and some work experience is key.

Thanks!
katnc
I sort of cringe when I think of Java. There's a number of company's that still use it, but if you wanna learn something that just about everyone is using: C#, MVC and Webforms, HTML, JavaScript, CSS, PHP and SQL. Now, I know I named like 8 things right there, but they're all very intertwined.

You took classes in PHP and HTML, so I take it you understand the relationship between CSS, HTML, PHP and JavaScript. Depending on how far you got into it, you probably understand the (rather extreme) value of SQL too.

Almost every tech company is using these tools one way or another. Maybe it's for an administrative control panel, maybe it's for data visualizations and trend tracking, maybe for a public website. No matter the use, these tools are extremely valuable to be knowledgeable in.

It's kinda hard to tell what type of programming you're looking to do. So let me give you a couple things here:

Drivers, Operating Systems, Low Level code:
ASM - ASM or Assembler has a 1:1 correlation with the machine code that is sent to the processor. Essentially, with ASM, you'll be manipulating bytes using a lot of cryptic words like "jmp" and "mov."

Mobile Games:
Objective C and Java - Basically, get real familiar with the term "Object Oriented Programming" or OOP.

Computer Games:
It's really hard to pin this down to one or two languages. Some popular ones are:
C - Generally not used to program entire games, unless your a hardcore Linux fan and that's the way you wanna roll. It normally would be used to optimize CPU intensive tasks like shadow casting and such.
C++ - Pretty common, looks intimidating at first with all the operators, but it's not really that bad.
C#/.NET - Getting more and more common by the day. Easy to use because it utilizes Microsoft's .NET framework. Everything you could want to do is generally easily achieved in a prepackaged function.
Java - Minecraft was made in Java. I think after everyone realized this, a whole new generation of Java programmers popped into existence wanting to make their own java games. I hate Java personally though, so...

Computer Utilities, Simulations, etc.:
Again, it's very hard to pin this down to a specific language. From my experience:
Simulations (Mathematical and Scientific) would be best done in a language with low level access to provide maximum optimization, like C.
Utilities for Windows are often times C# with .NET, as it's simple to create interfaces that everyone is familiar with. Some companies are starting to move away (or have always created their own path) from this in favor of material design, flat design, etc. (Google, Github, Microsoft, etc.)
Data Visualization - I personally (this being probably 50% of my Job right now) think this is easiest achieved in JavaScript with an SQL database (AKA, Learn JS, PHP, HTML and SQL).

If anyone wants to comment on this and add their own experience to what I've said, that'd be great.
I have worked in Mobile Games and done a fair amount of my own work on Computer games.

Quote:
Any advice from current programmers/ developers/ career switchers?
I am currently working as a Network Administrator and developing Data Visualization tools for the company I work at as well as utilities.
I co-own a game development company for mobile devices which is still a work in progress and have released mobile games before.

As far as "Are you in over your head" goes, absolutely not. I think that this is a great thing you're doing and I highly encourage it!

Quote:
Look for what you want to do specifically. Start with a specific goal and learn everything you need to achieve that goal, then set another goal and learn everything you need to achieve that goal. Goals could be things like "First, I wanna make a flappy birds clone. Then I wanna make a GameBoy emulator. Then a data Visualization Tool." Set specific goals and learn specific things. Before you know it, you'll be whipping up code in minutes and every "new" problem you run into, you'll already know how to solve from experience gained on previous projects.

Honestly, once you pick up one programming language and really understand it, picking up new ones is easy. It'll take a few days to get comfortable in it and you'll be fine.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:45 AM

The responses here have a big focus on programming rather than computer science. OP, which one are you looking for?

Old 12-30-2015, 10:46 AM

1,333 posts, read 883,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The responses here have a big focus on programming rather than computer science. OP, which one are you looking for?
OP asked specifically about programming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnc View Post

Old 12-30-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
OP asked specifically about programming.
The subject indicates the OP wants to learn computer science. You quote indicates he is asking for which programming language to start with. It would be better to guide him to learn computer science than programming languages if that's what he is interested in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers