Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 06:35 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times

Advertisements

I'm not exactly a Luddite - but I have been happily using Windows XP for a long time. This year - I learned that some software I use - like Turbotax - won't be supported in Windows XP next year. So I was dragged - reluctantly - into the 21st century. Didn't make any sense to try to upgrade my 5+ year old Windows XP system - so I bought a whole new Windows 10 system.

The set-up has been vexing at times. Especially when it comes to things like finding the right drivers for things like my Bluetooth speaker. But I'm about 80% done now. I had heard good things about Windows 10 - and I really like it. It is very intuitive and easy to use for anyone who has ever worked with Windows operating systems. And - unlike some other Windows operating systems - I think Windows 10 - like Windows XP - is a "keeper" that will be around for a long time. So I might not have to learn another new completely different operating system 5 years down the road (the older I get - the harder this stuff becomes).

Also - I kind of went "back to the future" and bought a desktop system with a nice big monitor. That is perhaps the most fun - the big monitor. Not having to look at the very small in comparison monitor on my old laptop. The big monitor makes it very easy for these older eyes to read things.

The one big disadvantage of a desktop is - of course - that it's not portable. But many of us have so many "portables" these days that I don't think portability is a big factor in terms of a purchasing decision. Unless someone travels a ton - is a snowbird - etc. We still travel - but not a huge amount now. And one or more of my "portables" (cell phone - tablet - Chromebook - etc.) will work/synch with things like my email account when I'm out of town.

Now one thing that's very important to me - especially as a small not especially strong older woman - is ease of service/maintenance. I insist on having an in-home maintenance contract (and have for quite a few years - even when it came to laptops). I have only found one company that seems to offer this kind of service contract on most/all of its computers. Lenovo. Perhaps there are others out there. But a service contract like this is worth its weight in gold IMO. And is well worth hunting for. My service contract also has next business day delivery of parts. Which is really nice too. If I recall correctly - Apple also offers in-home service contracts on desktops. So - if you're an an Apple fan - that is worth looking into (although I don't know where Apple is today in terms of its product cycles).

Another nice thing about Lenovo is that its phone support - based in Atlanta - is still excellent (it's the old IBM support team that Lenovo inherited when it bought IBM's computer division).

Bottom line is this is a good time to upgrade in terms of the Windows product cycle. It's also a good time to buy because this is "back to school sales" time. It's also a good time to upgrade if you're like me - late 60's or so - and keeping on top of new technology seems to get harder every year. Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 07:01 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,824 times
I upgraded both my desktop and laptop from windows 7 to windows 10 last month. Except for an unknown glitch which caused the Start menu on my laptop to disappear, windows 10 has been stable with faster bootup and shutdown than windows 7.

For whatever reason, microsoft windows versions have been alternating between a horrid, unstable one then a good one. I hanged on to windows XP on an old tablet, and had to put up with windows vista on my desktop for a while. At work, we stayed with XP until windows 7 come along. I also upgraded my desktop to windows 7 as soon as it was available.

Last year, I decided to get a refurbished Lenovo laptop so that I could have windows 7 professional instead of putting up with windows 8 on a new one.

My experience of helping friends and relatives to troubleshoot computer problems (both hardware and software) for years is that desktops from major companies (Lenovo, HP and Dell) are quite reliable. For laptops, Lenovo seems to be the most reliable. Tech supports from all these major companies are acceptable.

I typically don't buy PC and electronic stuffs from brick and mortar places. For people who are not tech savvy, I think it's better to buy from local stores (best buy, staples etc) to get the direct support. Online support could be frustrating at times.

I'm glad that microsoft offered free upgrade to windows 10 with the option to rollback to previous operating system.

Windows 10 is definitely a much better version than windows 8.

So I agree with Robyn that now is a good time to upgrade your computers.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:11 AM

82 posts, read 80,766 times
I upgraded my Windows 7 to 10, the computer crashed. After spending quite a bit of money trying to save the 2 year old Laptop I ordered a new Dell and I did request Windows 7.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:35 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,569,779 times
Anyone still using XP needs to stop immediately! Microsoft stopped supporting it over 2 years ago. It was a superb OS, but it's very vulnerable to hacks now. If you haven't upgraded to Windows 10 already, you missed the free upgrade period that ended July 31st.

After a short learning curve, 10 is very much better than anything before it.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:48 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
I went to Apple years ago and never looked back. I'm into photography and wanted a good basic desktop that had reliable stability. I use an eight yr old iMac with the latest OS, it has never crashed, works every day, unlike my PC's of the past.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:49 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,496,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Folks View Post
I upgraded my Windows 7 to 10, the computer crashed. After spending quite a bit of money trying to save the 2 year old Laptop I ordered a new Dell and I did request Windows 7.
I've never been a big fan of upgrading operating systems on older computers. Even relatively new older computers. Have never had good luck doing it the couple of times I tried (and the last time I tried was probably a decade ago). I think - in general - that the older hardware simply can't "digest"/handle the new software. Robyn

Old 08-08-2016, 07:51 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
I have windows 10 and love it. Also have an all in one system with a big monitor. Never use my laptop, but more of an ipad user when not on this. I need the big screen.

Anything of importance I keep on a usb and email to myself, so if this thing dies, I don't care. Will just get another one.

They are relatively inexpensive that a new system every couple of years is no big deal - like a dollar a day.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:58 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I've never been a big fan of upgrading operating systems on older computers. Even relatively new older computers. Have never had good luck doing it the couple of times I tried (and the last time I tried was probably a decade ago). I think - in general - that the older hardware simply can't "digest"/handle the new software. Robyn
As significantly (and maybe you meant this), the new software doesn't provide any significant new capabilities to the old hardware.

I have an oldish Thinkpad on Windows 7 that I will not update to Windows 10--it's rock-solid on Windows 7 with the Lenovo utilities that manage the hardware. Windows 10 would not give me any new capabilities and would kill the Lenovo utilities. No win.

I have updated my desktop computer, but that was to fix Windows 8 (Windows 10 is the fix for Windows 8). It's running decently, although it's nowhere near as solid and reliable as Windows 7 on my Thinkpad.

Worse, though, as someone with increasingly problematic eyesight, I sorely miss the ability of earlier Windows versions to completely customize visual settings.

I totally despise the "frameless" windows and the more subtle (and no-customizable) scroll bars. I despise being unable to use a different color for the frame of the active window or to adjust the width of the scroll bars. Removing customizable interface usability features is inexcusable in my book.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:40 AM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I have windows 10 and love it. Also have an all in one system with a big monitor. Never use my laptop, but more of an ipad user when not on this. I need the big screen.

Anything of importance I keep on a usb and email to myself, so if this thing dies, I don't care. Will just get another one.

They are relatively inexpensive that a new system every couple of years is no big deal - like a dollar a day.
Isn't the big monitor great? I didn't realize until I brought my all in one home how much I would like it.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:49 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I have been through the Windows Wars. From MS-DOS, Win 95, Win 97, Vista, Win7, Win 10.

I did upgrade my present machine from Win 7 to Win 10. For my use (MS Office, Email, chats, basic games, etc.) I did not find Win 10 to be superior and the fact that I would have a learning curve with nothing added, I reverted back to Win 7 which I understand.

Eventually I expect I will go back to Win 10 when I have the time to learn it but until then, I am happy with Win 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers