Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 03:42 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,484 times

Advertisements

Okay thanks. I sort of tried this already, but then the printer scales the size a little larger though. But it might still be do-able for a label.

As for turning the 4 labels on a page into a word document, how would I do that? Would I open it word first, and then format it into a word document? I tried opening it as a jpeg, but word said it cannot open such a file.

I also reduced the size of the margins, but if I do that, the printer then makes them bigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 04:13 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
You can buy labels, Avery for example. Word and other programs will have templates for them and if they don't you can download from the manufacturers site. Load the template into Word and put your image in the predefined cell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
What I did was I read that a wine bottle label is typically 3.25 by 4 inches. So I converted that to pixels which came out to 312 x 384 pixels.
This is where the often misunderstood DPI comes in, a pixel has no physical dimensions. DPI gives it physical dimensions. If you want higher quality prints use 200 to 300DPI. You can use anything but the lower you go the lower the quality..

Suppose you want an image printed at 3 inches wide and 4 inches high.

3(physical size) * 300(the DPI) = 900px

4(physical size) * 300(the DPI) = 1200px

That's gives you the image size in pixels of 900 * 1200. Within your image editor make sure you set the DPI/resolution for the image to 300 or whatever DPI you have used in the calculation above and save it.

When you import it into Word (or similar programs intended for printing on physical surfaces) or send it to the printer since you have set the DPI correctly by default it will be perfectly sized to those physical dimensions assuming your printer settings are not screwing it up. For the labels with the template you just paste it into each cell, right click and center the image.

Last edited by thecoalman; 07-02-2017 at 04:36 PM..

Old 07-02-2017, 04:30 PM

Just to add if you are confused at this point perhaps this may give you that lightbulb moment These images are exactly the same in every way except the DPI setting. Since a browser displays images based on pixel dimensions or HTML attributes the DPI setting is irrelevant.

Save both and import into a Word document. Roughly the the 72 DPI image is going to be scaled to about 3.5 inches wide and the 600DPI image will be scaled to a little less than 1/2 inch.

Example 1 - 249x276 @72 DPI

Example 2 - 249x276 @600 DPI

Old 07-02-2017, 05:09 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
I think you could do the same with a pdf file.
Depends on the kind of pdf. Some are just bitmaps, and impossible to extract from, at least with any fidelity.

This thread is a great example of the wrong tool for the job, perhaps with a bit of a crisis rush. Rarely ends well, since any tool has its quirks.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:12 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,564,922 times
Quote:
Okay thanks. I sort of tried this already, but then the printer scales the size a little larger though. But it might still be do-able for a label.

As for turning the 4 labels on a page into a word document, how would I do that? Would I open it word first, and then format it into a word document? I tried opening it as a jpeg, but word said it cannot open such a file.

I also reduced the size of the margins, but if I do that, the printer then makes them bigger.
Open a blank word document. Select Insert | Picture | From File. Choose your jpg, and once it's on the page you can resize it by dragging the corners. When you have the first one set the way you want it, copy and paste it 3 more times on the page. Be sure to do Print Preview to see what it will look like, then go back and adjust as necessary.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:28 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
Quote:

Exactly how you do this depends on MS Word version. In Word 2010, you go to the mailings tab. Far left, you'll see a box with Envelopes and Labels in it. Use the latter. It should be fairly intuitive, but if not use the help function.

Essentially, the labels command allows you to do a page of labels, either commercial (recommended) or custom (tricky for beginners), and then allows you to make all labels the same or each different. In your case, you'd select a template for 2x2 labels. Lots of help online for every version of Word, and I suspect plenty of videos. You just gotta look.

I can guarantee though, that Word labels together with proper page and printer settings will solve your problem.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:20 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,797,640 times
Make the label image 4 times larger then print 4 to a page. Don't make the page size larger.

Old 07-03-2017, 02:37 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You can buy labels, Avery for example. Word and other programs will have templates for them and if they don't you can download from the manufacturers site. Load the template into Word and put your image in the predefined cell.

This is where the often misunderstood DPI comes in, a pixel has no physical dimensions. DPI gives it physical dimensions. If you want higher quality prints use 200 to 300DPI. You can use anything but the lower you go the lower the quality..

Suppose you want an image printed at 3 inches wide and 4 inches high.

3(physical size) * 300(the DPI) = 900px

4(physical size) * 300(the DPI) = 1200px

That's gives you the image size in pixels of 900 * 1200. Within your image editor make sure you set the DPI/resolution for the image to 300 or whatever DPI you have used in the calculation above and save it.

When you import it into Word (or similar programs intended for printing on physical surfaces) or send it to the printer since you have set the DPI correctly by default it will be perfectly sized to those physical dimensions assuming your printer settings are not screwing it up. For the labels with the template you just paste it into each cell, right click and center the image.
Oh okay, thanks, in the program After Effects, you have to specify the amount of pixels, so I used an inches to pixels converter, to try to ascertain the measurements of how big the label should be in inches.

I guess I used the wrong tool for the job, but did know any label making programs, and thought it would just be quicker and easier to do it on a program I already know.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Oh okay, thanks, in the program After Effects, you have to specify the amount of pixels, so I used an inches to pixels converter, to try to ascertain the measurements of how big the label should be in inches.
Again a pixel has no physical dimension without a DPI setting. Consider a monitor that is 1920*1080, the physical dimensions of a pixel on a screen are different on 23" and 20" inch monitors. When you are working with a Word document the canvas is piece of paper which has physical dimensions so it can utilize the DPI setting and scale it.

Most cameras and programs default to 72DPI, if you calculate the pixel dimensions based on what I provided you only want to change the DPI or resolution, it might be called resolution in some image editors. Changing just the DPI will not alter the pixel dimensions.

When working with an image editor and using inches if you can set the DPI/resolution you don't need to calculate anything. Setting the image to 3" * 4" @300DPI will give you the same 900px * 1200px image. One thing to be careful about is resizing images using inches, most cameras and image programs default to 72DPI. If you take a very large image that has default of 72DPI and use inches to resize it and do not change the DPI/resolution it's going to use the 72DPI and you'll end up with an image that is 216px*288px. It will scale properly but it's going to look like crap when you print it.

Quick bit of trivia here, the reason 72DPI is the default is waaaaay back in ancient times Apple monitors were all 72DPI thus you could have correlation between the physical size and the size on the monitor.

Old 07-03-2017, 07:39 AM

14,461 posts, read 20,637,389 times
Here is Word document and I inserted two tables and used the mouse to drag them lower. I used Irfanview to change the dimensions of my image to 3.75 by 4.00. I think I had the height and width backwards because as you can see I had to drag the left and right lines out to accommodate the image leaving very little border. I simply copy pasted the image into the table.
Attached Thumbnails
How can I get my printer, to print in actual size, if that makes sense?-untitled43.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers