Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 08:17 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,082,889 times

Advertisements

I am making wine labels for an event in a few days and need quite a few of them. But have not been able to get the printer to make the right size.

What I did was I read that a wine bottle label is typically 3.25 by 4 inches. So I converted that to pixels which came out to 312 x 384 pixels.

So I made all the labels like that. I printed one as a test, and it came out the right size, and I measured it. However, that was just one label on one piece of paper. Since I am printing out a lot, I want to be able to print out four labels on a piece of paper. On the computer program I made the label in Adobe After Effects, it says that it can fit four labels on a page. That's two of the front labels, and two of the back labels.

I put four on a page, and then cut off the margins, so the printer would have enough margin space. I cut off the margins by an inch, so the file with four labels on, is one inch smaller in width and height, compared to a 8.5 by 11 inch paper.

But when I print them out, it's all too shrunk, or when I make adjustments, the are too big. The printer is not printing out the labels in 312 x 384, like it did on the first test I did. The printer will print out the right size, if I do one per paper, but if I do that, that is a lot of paper being wasted and I bought the good quality label paper, and would like to use as much of it as I can, which means two front labels and two back labels on a page, ideally.

Is there anything I can do to get the printer to print the right size, with more than one label per paper sheet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 08:25 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,393,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I am making wine labels for an event in a few days and need quite a few of them. But have not been able to get the printer to make the right size.

What I did was I read that a wine bottle label is typically 3.25 by 4 inches. So I converted that to pixels which came out to 312 x 384 pixels.

So I made all the labels like that. I printed one as a test, and it came out the right size, and I measured it. However, that was just one label on one piece of paper. Since I am printing out a lot, I want to be able to print out four labels on a piece of paper. On the computer program I made the label in Adobe After Effects, it says that it can fit four labels on a page. That's two of the front labels, and two of the back labels.

I put four on a page, and then cut off the margins, so the printer would have enough margin space. I cut off the margins by an inch, so the file with four labels on, is one inch smaller in width and height, compared to a 8.5 by 11 inch paper.

But when I print them out, it's all too shrunk, or when I make adjustments, the are too big. The printer is not printing out the labels in 312 x 384, like it did on the first test I did. The printer will print out the right size, if I do one per paper, but if I do that, that is a lot of paper being wasted and I bought the good quality label paper, and would like to use as much of it as I can, which means two front labels and two back labels on a page, ideally.

Is there anything I can do to get the printer to print the right size, with more than one label per paper sheet?
In general you can set the printer to print exactly what it is sent. It is somewhere in the printer properties. Basically you want the setting that sets exact size printing. Unfortunately it varies with eacn printer company and sometimes within the lines.

Experiment with regular paper until you get what you want. But four up should not be a problem.

Some of the drawing programs will also screw around with the magnification but they all have a suitable mode...you simply need to find it.

If you can't get it just set the drawing program up for a 8.5 x 11 page and construct your lablels on it. That way there is no manipulation to do four up. It is just a regular page.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:47 PM

Okay thanks. But I tried setting the program for 8.5 x 11, and the printer would shrink it down. The problem is, is that the printer takes that size, and then shrinks it down to fit within it's own margins. This is why I shaved an inch off an all sides, to give the printer that extra inch that it already comes with in the margins, but by doing that it, scales the labels up bigger then, and not sure what to do otherwise.

There doesn't seem to be a feature that says to print in it's give size, and it the printer asks specifically for the size, but not sure what to do because it's four labels on a blank paper. There is still space in between the labels, and I cannot figure out the size what to tell the printer, that it will be happy with to print the right size.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:35 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,521,500 times
Adobe After Effects? Maybe there's the problem, using a tool for the wrong thing. MS Word does a great job with labels. I've used it for years in many versions.

What printer are you using?

You might note too that pixel dimensions is a bad way to size things for printing, because printers are not pixel oriented machines. Pixel dimensions are great for monitors of a specific resolution, but not much else.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:54 AM

I used AE cause I am on a deadline, and didn't have as much time to learn an all new program. I am using this printer pretty much. It was a hand me down from my old job, I think this is the one:

https://www.staples.ca/en/Brother-HL...caAgj8EALw_wcB

Old 07-02-2017, 11:02 AM

14,516 posts, read 20,734,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post

Download Irfanview and use it to change the size you desire to inches.
Here my photo was a square but Irfanview lets me change each side and then save with the new dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails
How can I get my printer, to print in actual size, if that makes sense?-untitled67.jpg  

Old 07-02-2017, 11:02 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,521,500 times
What settings are you using on the printer? Do you know how to get to them? Do you have an up to date driver specific for your printer?

Old 07-02-2017, 11:51 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,863,778 times
Although your program has default margin settings, you can reduce these as desired. If you are using Word software, you can also print your labels within a 4-cell table and reduce the center gutters to whatever you wish (then print without the table lines).

Old 07-02-2017, 02:34 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,585,749 times
As previously noted, a Word document is by far the easiest way to do what you want. Your label manufacturer may have template software that you can use within Word (like Avery label templates).

Old 07-02-2017, 03:09 PM

4,887 posts, read 4,832,327 times
I would get a jpeg or other photo file of the label and insert it into a word processing document page as a box. You should be able to control the exact size of the box. You would be able to move the boxes exactly how you want them to appear on the printed page. I have done this with photos many times when using them in a document. I think you could do the same with a pdf file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers