Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 08:36 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,583,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post

Yes there are times where the industry will HAVE to move forward. This is NOT one of those times. We're at a point where the software code that is written far outstrips the hardware capabilities of what it is written for, and more often than not... it is bloated code that is inefficient and ineffective.

"bloated code that is inefficient and ineffective" = Microsoft-Microsoft, RAH-RAH-RAH!!!

And the reason this is an issue, is because Microsoft WILL drop XP support after they release their new OS. They won't want to sit there and support 3 different Operating Systems.

This will be M$ ruination or at least put a dent noticeable enough - so stupid they are in the name of trying to sell their POS Vista.

Honestly though folks... just learn Linux.

I can relate there with those thoughts.
I'm sure you know but for others reading this: Ever since the inception of M$ Windows in which THE CORE of what they build any OS is flawed and unstable - Not many understand that!

Also just look and hear from people about the bloat Vista is and Windows XP to an extent too. Windows 2000 was the best IMO that they put out but still built upon THE FLAWED AND UNSTABLE CORE - had to put that in caps.

I like the YouTube video named "Vista install in 2 minutes"

Below is the link for those interested in seeing it.

YouTube - Vista install in 2 minutes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 06:20 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,500 times
Default YouTube - Vista install in 2 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
I'm sure you know but for others reading this: Ever since the inception of M$ Windows in which THE CORE of what they build any OS is flawed and unstable - Not many understand that!

Also just look and hear from people about the bloat Vista is and Windows XP to an extent too. Windows 2000 was the best IMO that they put out but still built upon THE FLAWED AND UNSTABLE CORE - had to put that in caps.

I like the YouTube video named "Vista install in 2 minutes"

Below is the link for those interested in seeing it.

YouTube - Vista install in 2 minutes
Absolutely hilariously funny video!!! I watched it 5 times! Realize that this is an actual Windows Vista Operating System install package worth about US$300! This should be required viewing for any Window's user considering an "upgrade" to Vista! Thanks!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:09 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Linux tried that years ago, they were packaged with certain PC's that Bestbuy and Computer city sold, it was called RedHat, and it failed miserably.

Linux is an open source OS. There is no big corperation behind it pushing it, therefore, it will never gain a large market hold.

City-data lost my post by being too busy.

Long story short: Doesn't take a corporation to enact change. Just takes a small group of committed people.

And as Microsoft attempts to charge extraordinary amounts for their software... more and more people will make the switch.

Also: the Vista install: The CD is worth maybe $10. The cd key at the top of the box is worth the $150.

Noahma: Why are you such a defeatist? Why are you SOO sure that Linux will never work for an operating system? You sound very similar to the folks that continued to say that Apple would never have a large market share... theres no way, no how.
Well, Apple is making its way into the market in force... and Linux is following behind as people adapt and change.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:

Long story short: Doesn't take a corporation to enact change. Just takes a small group of committed people.

And as Microsoft attempts to charge extraordinary amounts for their software... more and more people will make the switch.

Also: the Vista install: The CD is worth maybe $10. The cd key at the top of the box is worth the $150.

Noahma: Why are you such a defeatist? Why are you SOO sure that Linux will never work for an operating system? You sound very similar to the folks that continued to say that Apple would never have a large market share... theres no way, no how.
Well, Apple is making its way into the market in force... and Linux is following behind as people adapt and change.
Of course, you realize that you are not just paying for a polycarbonate disc, some fancy graphics and packaging, you are paying for the proprietary intellectual property that resides on the disc, along with all the R&D, overhead and profit that is built into the cost of any piece of computer software, including Microsoft!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:58 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,420,345 times
Quote:

I am not a defeatist, I am a realist. I would have said the same things about the apple systems, but they did some changes for the good. They removed the proprietary components to the systems and opened it for 3rd party developers. It was not the computers they had that saved them, it was the Ipod. they ran acrost a GREAT invention and ran with it. That and the proprietary system is what saved them. As for Linux, it will go nowhere if there is not the backing of a large cooperation. You need advertising money, and a very standard approach to the OS. Right now I can think of at least 10 DIFFERENT versions of Linux. If the past with Linux runs into the present, where they tried to make it a known OS, it will fail again. Redhat was an utterly miserable failure. Another reason it will take HUGE changes with Linux to make any sort of dent is ease of use for the user. When DOS was the OS to have, there were very few personal PC's, DOS was difficult to use, and no where near as user friendly as MAC of the time. When Windows was first released it was still not user friendly enough to really get the Home PC in the eye of everyone, you still had to run DOS in the background. Windows 95 is where things started to get more user friendly with the PC. Anyone can pick it up and use it, and it is just not that way with Linux.

I do know that you are paying for the use of the software and not the CD, it is the same with Autodesk, although Autodesk keys for Autocad Architecture is worth $5,000 instead of 150.00

Old 04-29-2008, 12:10 AM

Default Microsoft Extends XP's Life

This thread seems to have taken on a life of its own! And that's good, because I really have a strong dislike for the "Evil Empire", ah..., that would be Microsoft (Stock ticker MSFT!), hey that's close to LSMFT, "Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco" or several other risque meanings! Is it coincidental that Lucky Strike cigarettes and Microsoft have these dual identities?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:39 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,583,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
This thread seems to have taken on a life of its own! And that's good, because I really have a strong dislike for the "Evil Empire", ah..., that would be Microsoft (Stock ticker MSFT!), hey that's close to LSMFT, "Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco" or several other risque meanings! Is it coincidental that Lucky Strike cigarettes and Microsoft have these dual identities?
Yeah - Maybe MSFT could use the same lit match (to burn their install CD's up) that LSMFT needs to use their product - lol!

Old 04-29-2008, 11:03 AM

437 posts, read 631,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
LOL! I have Home Premium on my laptop and my husband has Ultimate on his computer, and I don't know which one of us is going to blow our respective PCs up first. Ultimate is especially a waste; if my hubby had paid money for it, I would've had to leave him. What happened to all those extras Ultimate users were supposed to get? Oooh, BITLOCKER!

Old 04-29-2008, 01:28 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,420,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraKGrisgby View Post
LOL! I have Home Premium on my laptop and my husband has Ultimate on his computer, and I don't know which one of us is going to blow our respective PCs up first. Ultimate is especially a waste; if my hubby had paid money for it, I would've had to leave him. What happened to all those extras Ultimate users were supposed to get? Oooh, BITLOCKER!
That is why I weighed my options for stuff I would not use (ultimate) and stuff I would want (home premium) and then weighed the prices, ultimate = 300+ or home premium 100-150

Old 04-29-2008, 05:20 PM

825 posts, read 2,820,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
The only problem I've had with Vista would be that it wouldn't let me delete an empty folder called "new folder" because it was "in use"...when nothing was using it. At least, nothing I could see.

And when I was trying to copy say, 100 files from one drive to another it would take about 3 hours to figure out how to move them...and then hang. I'd have to move like 10 files at a time.

I mean, really...how many people ever move a lot of files at once? It must've just slipped by them during beta testing.
I heard about this glitch. I saw screen shots of "time remaining" at something like 19,000 days. Hilarious really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers