Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:58 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,583,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
something tells me you would stick with linux no matter what the outcome is with any other sofware company. The majoity of computer users that are not completly savvy will not be able to get the grasp of Linux, thus they are going to have to move in the way that both mac and microsoft are moving.

Something tells me You're right-lol!

I dont know why some are thinking that as soon as microsoft releases a new OS they must run out and buy it before the world comes to an end. If what you have is working, then by all means stick to it. But dont complain when you realize that the industry has moved forward. This happens in the gaming world ALL OF THE TIME. They figure out some new tech. that requires a more beefy graphics card. Well you are going to have to upgrade, or not get the game. Happens with the console gaming systems as well. Either upgrade, or be left behind when that happens.

M$ does has its place with many - especially gamers, I understand that. Some will spend thousands just to be able to have that ultimate gaming computer which at this time is M$ centric - that'll change in time. I use a Linux computer 99.5% of the time (well I should says computers - see I have a hobby-lol!) for everything other than gaming (the few M$ games I have and will ever need) and some downloads which I have two M$ computers to take care of that. For my or most anyone else's computer needs Linux does everything else VERY well with a lot less need for the latest and greatest.

I would rather work my way up to the newest or a newer version of a Chevy, or ford than be using a Model T for my transportation.
Everyone has their own tastes and I respect yours as well - but not everyone wants or needs the latest and the greatest as well as the need to play M$ centric computer games
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 09:58 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,419,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Everyone has their own tastes and I respect yours as well - but not everyone wants or needs the latest and the greatest as well as the need to play M$ centric computer games
I agree that not everyone needs the latest and greatest, my needs are different though. I use some very expensive software (not gaming related) and it moves with the rest of the computer industry. If I dont keep moving with that industry it will start to impact my work. I dont mind that the industry has not stalled, nor do I complain when something newer and easyer to work with is released. I welcome the fact that new innovation is helping me to make my job easyer.

Your post was a little biased, you would always choose linux over any other operating system, no matter what the system, no matter what the bells and whistles, and no matter if it was a very good system, that ran great. I have several linux fans in my family. I just choose not to use it, it is not my type of OS.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I agree that not everyone needs the latest and greatest, my needs are different though. I use some very expensive software (not gaming related) and it moves with the rest of the computer industry. If I dont keep moving with that industry it will start to impact my work. I dont mind that the industry has not stalled, nor do I complain when something newer and easyer to work with is released. I welcome the fact that new innovation is helping me to make my job easyer.

Your post was a little biased, you would always choose linux over any other operating system, no matter what the system, no matter what the bells and whistles, and no matter if it was a very good system, that ran great. I have several linux fans in my family. I just choose not to use it, it is not my type of OS.
Yeah my post is biased towards Linux as I like using it.
I respect anyones OS decision - it's gotta work for them.
"IF" M$ comes out with a half-decent OS in the future, then and only then a few years after that I find a discarded computer with a hard drive with that OS on it - then I'll keep it and use it. You speak about bells and whistles - other than gaming what bells and whistles does M$ have now that should be taken notice? M$ Vista has been a bust so far - in fact when people ask me I tell them to stay with Windows XP or 2000. Unless you're in a field of work that has proprietary software specifically written to use in M$ - I don't see it. Please kindly enlighten me. BTW: This is only a discussion/debate and is not meant to be personal in any way.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah my post is biased towards Linux as I like using it.
I respect anyones OS decision - it's gotta work for them.
"IF" M$ comes out with a half-decent OS in the future, then and only then a few years after that I find a discarded computer with a hard drive with that OS on it - then I'll keep it and use it. You speak about bells and whistles - other than gaming what bells and whistles does M$ have now that should be taken notice? M$ Vista has been a bust so far - in fact when people ask me I tell them to stay with Windows XP or 2000. Unless you're in a field of work that has proprietary software specifically written to use in M$ - I don't see it. Please kindly enlighten me. BTW: This is only a discussion/debate and is not meant to be personal in any way.
"bells and whistles" are items that are not based on the functionality of the program. IE the Aero desktop stuff does not HAVE to be there, it is a bell and whistle. There are many other functionality the windows sidebar is a Bell and whistle.

We cannot expect a major industry to stall itself to fufill the wants of a minority of people not wanting to move forward in tech. I bet you were happy when several versions of Linux went from command prompt to a GUI. And I bet that GUI required a bit more power to run Linux (although not as much as other OS's)

Old 04-25-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
"bells and whistles" are items that are not based on the functionality of the program. IE the Aero desktop stuff does not HAVE to be there, it is a bell and whistle. There are many other functionality the windows sidebar is a Bell and whistle.

Linux does the same things

We cannot expect a major industry to stall itself to fufill the wants of a minority of people not wanting to move forward in tech. I bet you were happy when several versions of Linux went from command prompt to a GUI. And I bet that GUI required a bit more power to run Linux (although not as much as other OS's)
Well, I haven't been using Linux for that long - lol! But you'd be surprised on the amount of people who absolutely adore using the command prompt. If there was no other OS other than M$, then I would have no choice than to spend money to upgrade the computer or specs and bow to M$. Luckily there's choices in respect to what OS one uses. I don't put M$ as a "major industry" per say but as a Dictatorship Company IMO.

If you don't like Linux - that's your opinion and I respect it. Like I said Microsoft has its place. Linux does think of the little guy too - just think of the poorer countries of which citizens cannot afford to upgrade in technology and Linux is their savior and thinks of them too without compromising performance and features. So maybe here in the west in which we are consumer buying "freaks" in comparison to many other parts of the world to be able to afford to move forward in tech.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Well, I haven't been using Linux for that long - lol! But you'd be surprised on the amount of people who absolutely adore using the command prompt. If there was no other OS other than M$, then I would have no choice than to spend money to upgrade the computer or specs and bow to M$. Luckily there's choices in respect to what OS one uses. I don't put M$ as a "major industry" per say but as a Dictatorship Company IMO.

If you don't like Linux - that's your opinion and I respect it. Like I said Microsoft has its place. Linux does think of the little guy too - just think of the poorer countries of which citizens cannot afford to upgrade in technology and Linux is their savior and thinks of them too without compromising performance and features. So maybe here in the west in which we are consumer buying "freaks" in comparison to many other parts of the world to be able to afford to move forward in tech.
I mistyped with the Linux and bells and whistles, I had meant to put Apple in there lol.

as far as the Linux as a company, it is an open source OS (another reason why it will never have a large market share) There is no one single Linux.

MS is not the industry, they are but a company competing in the industry. They have been really lucky based on the 3rd party products that were built using there tech. Mac screwed up badly by making everything propritary up untill the last 10 years, that is why Microsoft is where it is, it did not restrict the 3rd party production of applications and hardware.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I mistyped with the Linux and bells and whistles, I had meant to put Apple in there lol.
You know that you was just testing me.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:50 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,537 times
Quote:
if they dont go to a 64 bit system, what incentive is it for software manufactuers to start using the extra processing power of the 64 bit processors? The 64 bit processor has been out for a LONG time, and it is not being used to its full capacity. There are times when the industry will HAVE to move forward. The 32 bit systems are going to be grossly outdated by the time they do make the jump. The industry should not hold back because of a few that still insist on using a 32 bit processor. As far as I know, there are no longer any 32 bit only systems being sold.

asking the computer industry to hold back based on 32 bit processors is like telling chevy that they dont need to develop new cars because the '57 chevy does everything anyone would want.
Incentive? In another post, you talk about gaming tech. filtering, SLI, etc all came out, and when it hit the shelves... a very small percentage of the GAMER population went out and got it. As it comes down in price, and the bugs are fixed... more and more people get it. The same will be true with 64-bit drivers. The hardware is there, the software guys are there... and they need to write that code for that elite group of users, the sys admins and roots and whatnot. Then it'll trickle down from there into the rest of the world. Because all the common operating system platforms have a 64 bit version, it's just going to take time and effort. Its not a matter of if Microsoft needs to go 'exclusively' 64bit, its a matter of how much time and energy does it take to write these new drivers? I'm going to bet quite a bit, as a whole host of things have changed.

Yes there are times where the industry will HAVE to move forward. This is NOT one of those times. We're at a point where the software code that is written far outstrips the hardware capabilities of what it is written for, and more often than not... it is bloated code that is inefficient and ineffective.

Its not that everyone would 'have to drive out to their local store and buy a brand new PC RIGHT THEN' that upsets people. its the fact that anyone thinks that they can dictate to us what hardware to buy based on what operating system we want to use. Thats why Mac is getting success, and THATS why Linux gets success. Because we're reaching an age where you will be able to buy a PC, and CHOOSE the operating system completely independently. Microsoft might be trying to push the 64-bit issue to try and retain market share on their new OS release before Linux can hit the forefront.

Okay, so Linux has a learning curve. Know what else has a learning curve?
Riding a bike
Calculus
Windows XP
Windows XP Administration
Mac OS X
etc
etc
etc

I'll admit that starting to use Linux is not the easiest thing to do, but I believe that a regular user of XP will be FAR more successful than a power user/admin of XP will. Why? Because they're USED to spending time to figure stuff out, and go through the menus, etc. Because they don't know. Or they ask their tech friend, etc. And with the fact that I've run into at least 10 problems, minor to major in size and I haven't once had to create a thread asking for help is a huge testament to the efficency of the ubuntu user forums.

A power user/admin (like myself), has a harder time with the switch because we aren't USED to having to root around. We know the DOS commands, not the UNIX commands. If I want to set a static IP in XP, I know exactly how to do that. If I want to change the background, I know how to do that. if I want to mount a drive, I know how to do that.

I have to say, Linux is going to win the OS war unless Apple and Microsoft can find some way to stop them. Which I doubt highly.

Quote:
I would rather work my way up to the newest or a newer version of a Chevy, or ford than be using a Model T for my transportation.
Its such a WASTE! If that Model T works, then use it! In speeds, we're really more talking about the difference between a Civic with or without a turbocharger.
For some cases, its like going from a VW Bug to a Corvette... but its NOT OUR job to tell someone that, "well... yeah... I'm glad that VW bug works for you, but we're just going to have to scrap it." "Why? oh, its because well... we want to upgrade the gas tank, but your car won't work for it. So, we need to change the whole car out. It does this, this and this and this... but it uses more fuel and is sometimes even slower than the bug... but you'll like it more!"
Why would we ever want to do anything to take away someone's ability to choose?

Yes, yes I KNOW that they don't have to go buy the new OS and the new PC right away... but its the fact that you are forcing people out of an established architecture that they're comfortable with.

And the reason this is an issue, is because Microsoft WILL drop XP support after they release their new OS. They won't want to sit there and support 3 different Operating Systems.

Honestly though folks... just learn Linux.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:57 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,537 times
Quote:

as far as the Linux as a company, it is an open source OS (another reason why it will never have a large market share) There is no one single Linux.

MS is not the industry, they are but a company competing in the industry. They have been really lucky based on the 3rd party products that were built using there tech. Mac screwed up badly by making everything propritary up untill the last 10 years, that is why Microsoft is where it is, it did not restrict the 3rd party production of applications and hardware.
Apple screwed up by allowing Microsoft to copy their source code when developing Office:Mac.

Linux can easily obtain a large market share. A specific distro? Probably not. But already Apple is eating at the market share, as is Linux. All linux really needs to do is convince one of the big box brands to carry their OS on OEM PCs. As soon as that starts happening, then Linux will really hit the markets, since it'd remain free (or cheap), and Microsoft would have to stop charging 3 arms and a leg for their products to compete.

OpenOffice is already on every single school PC at my university. A large portion of the lab PCs have the option to boot into linux (Obviously the Comp Science Labs, but also the business and general use PCs as well).

It truly is just a matter of time.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Apple screwed up by allowing Microsoft to copy their source code when developing Office:Mac.

Linux can easily obtain a large market share. A specific distro? Probably not. But already Apple is eating at the market share, as is Linux. All linux really needs to do is convince one of the big box brands to carry their OS on OEM PCs. As soon as that starts happening, then Linux will really hit the markets, since it'd remain free (or cheap), and Microsoft would have to stop charging 3 arms and a leg for their products to compete.

OpenOffice is already on every single school PC at my university. A large portion of the lab PCs have the option to boot into linux (Obviously the Comp Science Labs, but also the business and general use PCs as well).

It truly is just a matter of time.
Linux tried that years ago, they were packaged with certain PC's that Bestbuy and Computer city sold, it was called RedHat, and it failed miserably.

Linux is an open source OS. There is no big corperation behind it pushing it, therefore, it will never gain a large market hold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers