Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:25 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
bchris02: A large portion of XP-32 bit drivers are also built for XP-64. A larger portion than the Vista 64 drivers are.
You are wrong. XP-64 uses the Server 2003 64-bit driver set. You might be right about them being interchangable between Vista 64 and XP 64, because Vista-64 and XP-64 both are derived from Server 2003's codebase, but 32-bit and 64-bit drivers are not interchangable. With all the Vista bashing here, I wonder how many people are just bashing it because its the "in" thing to do. The "geeks" who most of the time prefer Linux anyways have been hating on Vista since years before its release, so most everybody else thinks it must be absolutely terrible just because the "geeks" who have never even given it a chance say it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 09:24 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,672,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The "geeks" who most of the time prefer Linux anyways have been hating on Vista since years before its release, so most everybody else thinks it must be absolutely terrible just because the "geeks" who have never even given it a chance say it is.
Well, part right - I do prefer linux for most tasks. I use linux for my regular desktop action, as my htpc, as my server of choice, for audio recording and editing, and as a badass cookbook (krecipes rocks).

But I do use windows for AutoCAD. I tried AutoCAD 2008 and 2009 with it, and its been 100% disappointing (2008 with one of my new PC's, 2009 in a shootout with new PC's at the office - same spec machine, one Vista, one XP).

Maybe in a few years, but unless some things come out that really become needed in my day to day, and is only available on Vista, I doubt it.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:10 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,419,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Well, part right - I do prefer linux for most tasks. I use linux for my regular desktop action, as my htpc, as my server of choice, for audio recording and editing, and as a badass cookbook (krecipes rocks).

But I do use windows for AutoCAD. I tried AutoCAD 2008 and 2009 with it, and its been 100% disappointing (2008 with one of my new PC's, 2009 in a shootout with new PC's at the office - same spec machine, one Vista, one XP).

Maybe in a few years, but unless some things come out that really become needed in my day to day, and is only available on Vista, I doubt it.
eek, you seem to have alot of problems with new software lol. ACA 08 and ACA 09 run absolutly beautifully on my machines. I do not like the new interface with 09 though.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:50 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,672,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
eek, you seem to have alot of problems with new software lol. ACA 08 and ACA 09 run absolutly beautifully on my machines. I do not like the new interface with 09 though.
I didn't at first, mostly because the vertical view on the screen is the most important - right where those huge new toolbars were at. But, once I moved them off to the side, and did a bit of customizing, I'm really please with it - and its running like a champ on the XP machine.

Now, we're international, and we've got a few hundred licenses to be concerned about, so not everyone is even on 2008 yet, so it'll be a bit before 2009 hits their desk (though with a new initiative, upgrades will come sooner).

Now the bigger problem my company has (one we shouldn't have, imho), is that the admin has a preference for novell and groupwise. Something that doesn't work at all in vista (this one didn't stop my install, I just used Outlook 07 instead). So far though, I haven't really seen one thing Vista can do for me that a plus, only a slower system due to how Vista handles OpenGL calls.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:45 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,537 times
Quote:
You are wrong. XP-64 uses the Server 2003 64-bit driver set. You might be right about them being interchangable between Vista 64 and XP 64, because Vista-64 and XP-64 both are derived from Server 2003's codebase, but 32-bit and 64-bit drivers are not interchangable. With all the Vista bashing here, I wonder how many people are just bashing it because its the "in" thing to do. The "geeks" who most of the time prefer Linux anyways have been hating on Vista since years before its release, so most everybody else thinks it must be absolutely terrible just because the "geeks" who have never even given it a chance say it is.
I don't know for sure what codebase vista is based on, however I am certain that the entire kernel was scrapped at least once because it was too unstable.

I will NOT accept the word of a linux user when they tell me that vista sucks. I WILL accept the word of a XP geek that has attempted to switch and found it difficult, annoying, etc. The linux folks tend to have a skewed view of the windows operating systems... and I HATE to say this... but I loathe booting into XP now that I have ubuntu on my laptop. 4 desktops?! omfg... I hate only having one now.

Bashing microsoft has been a popular thing to do ever since 95 came out.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I don't know for sure what codebase vista is based on, however I am certain that the entire kernel was scrapped at least once because it was too unstable.
Longhorn was originally built into Windows XP's codebase, but it was moved to Server 2003's. Maybe the NT core of Windows is starting to show its age...after all its been piled on and piled on since 1993. Windows 7 needs to keep what Vista did right i.e. Aero interface, new photo/media features, and put it on a new, more streamlined kernel that runs more efficient. From what I've heard, that is the direction MS is going. And MS needs to move entirely to 64-bit. In 2010 very few, if any Windows 7-capable desktop PCs will be without 64-bit processors.

As for fanboys, I don't go on what ANY fanboys say, be it Mac, XP, Vista, or especially Linux.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:39 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,537 times
Quote:
Longhorn was originally built into Windows XP's codebase, but it was moved to Server 2003's. Maybe the NT core of Windows is starting to show its age...after all its been piled on and piled on since 1993. Windows 7 needs to keep what Vista did right i.e. Aero interface, new photo/media features, and put it on a new, more streamlined kernel that runs more efficient. From what I've heard, that is the direction MS is going. And MS needs to move entirely to 64-bit. In 2010 very few, if any Windows 7-capable desktop PCs will be without 64-bit processors.

As for fanboys, I don't go on what ANY fanboys say, be it Mac, XP, Vista, or especially Linux.
EFFICIENT?! you claim that Vista is EFFICIENT?!

I can boot into Ubuntu, use 187MB of RAM, almost no page file and do a ridiculous more in terms of functionality than Vista can.

Vista is a horribly inefficient and bloated OS.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:50 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,187 times
Quote:

What happens to 32 bit machines if Windows 7 goes exclusively with a 64 bit kernel?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:42 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,419,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
What happens to 32 bit machines if Windows 7 goes exclusively with a 64 bit kernel?
they become as obsolete as the 8088 and the 286

Old 04-24-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Most machines made in the last 4 years have been 64-bit capable. Most strictly 32-bit ones today can't even run Vista. In 2010, there will be no reason for MS to pander to them - its time to move on. Unfortunately, last I heard Windows 7 was still going to be 32-bit, but it will be the last 32-bit version.

Quote:
EFFICIENT?! you claim that Vista is EFFICIENT?!

I can boot into Ubuntu, use 187MB of RAM, almost no page file and do a ridiculous more in terms of functionality than Vista can.

Vista is a horribly inefficient and bloated OS.
You misread my post. I said take whats good in Vista and put it on a more efficient kernel. Last I heard, that is what MS is aiming to do in Windows 7. They are also wanting to implement the many features removed from Vista. Vista is inefficient because its still essentially Windows NT with 15 years of code piled on top, plus many applications you used to have to get third party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers