Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:26 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
You're right here. Ask most people about Linux and they think you are talking about one of the Beatles.
You'll get that sought of response from most in the US of A - try asking in other countries that use Linux.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 07:44 AM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Windows was the first to enter the "popularity contest" stronghold so that being M$ is so popular many people don't want to know nothing about some other OS even if it saves them plenty of $$$ and grief especially ones that solely use a computer to surf the internet - that's their loss. As far as I'm concerned - let them keep on using windows and when their hard drive crashes on their few year old computer or get a nasty Virus/Trojan/or whatnot they'll put that computer to the curb and I'll take it thanks.
Linux and Mac are just as vernable to viruses as windows, maybe moreso. My brother a mac user, just got his first virus. Why did he not get one years before while not even running any scaning software? The market share is the awnser, mac was not that protected, and not that popular so virus producers were not putting any thought into it. The virus that did come out spread like wildfire amongst the mac world.

Right now, mac and Linux might run relativly well with low overhead, but if they were to gain a considerable ammount of market share, they to would be headed down the "bloat ware" path due to having to use virus scanners, and varrious other scanners to protect themselves.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Linux and Mac are just as vernable to viruses as windows, maybe moreso. My brother a mac user, just got his first virus. Why did he not get one years before while not even running any scaning software? The market share is the awnser, mac was not that protected, and not that popular so virus producers were not putting any thought into it. The virus that did come out spread like wildfire amongst the mac world.

Right now, mac and Linux might run relativly well with low overhead, but if they were to gain a considerable ammount of market share, they to would be headed down the "bloat ware" path due to having to use virus scanners, and varrious other scanners to protect themselves.
I'm not going to again discuss the "virus" thing between the OS's as I've done already in this thread - oh no not again, lol!

What I was saying about the M$ windows users is that one would most likely have to spend a bloated $$$ price and the price of a hard drive to get that few year old computer up and running again especially if it's Virus/Trojan/and whatnot infected beyond repair or antivirus program - most people I have ever spoken to in that situation have purchased a new computer. If a hard drive crashed on a Linux computer - other than a new hard drive the OS costs ZERO - ZIP - NADA to acquire and reinstall.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:04 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Quote:
I'm not going to again discuss the "virus" thing between the OS's as I've done already in this thread - oh no not again, lol!

What I was saying about the M$ windows users is that one would most likely have to spend a bloated $$$ price and the price of a hard drive to get that few year old computer up and running again especially if it's Virus/Trojan/and whatnot infected beyond repair or antivirus program - most people I have ever spoken to in that situation have purchased a new computer. If a hard drive crashed on a Linux computer - other than a new hard drive the OS costs ZERO - ZIP - NADA to acquire and reinstall.
If i purchase a machine from a store that had windows or mac os X on it, I would not pay for the operating system either. The cost was in the initial purchase of the machine, the licenses for the software go with the purchasers. I own a licesnse to windows Vista, and I can reinstall it as many times as I would like, even when I change system configurations, or systems.
as long as I follow the ELUA

Old 05-02-2008, 02:46 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,586,749 times
Quote:
If i purchase a machine from a store that had windows or mac os X on it, I would not pay for the operating system either. The cost was in the initial purchase of the machine, the licenses for the software go with the purchasers. I own a licesnse to windows Vista, and I can reinstall it as many times as I would like, even when I change system configurations, or systems.
Excuse me, but you don't own a license to anything! You posses a EULA that permits you to use a Microsoft product for an infinite period of time on one computer or system device, unless you have a multiple site license. Microsoft retains all rights to the Microsoft products(s) that are installed and functioning on your computer. You cannot install Vista, or any other MS products on multiple platforms, unless you have a multi-site license. Change the motherboard (MOBO) on your machine or the BIOS chipsets and try installing your Vista OS, your install will be blocked as the OS will see this as an attempt to multi-install the same licensed Vista OS version on a different machine. Vista OS does not depend upon the 25 character key code to identify your Vista install. Vista, and previously XP, look for OS code traces that are identifiable in several sub-sets of your computer. There is no practical method to remove these OS install traces without jumping through "hoops of fire"!

Old 05-02-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Are you sure you are not buddies with Steve Gates?(correction - Bill Gates)?

You wish that you can install as many times as you like.

M$ wants yours and most peoples money who are M$ lovers and as much of it as they can get away with.

Last edited by njguy; 05-02-2008 at 03:04 PM.. Reason: correction in first name from "Steve" to "Bill"

Old 05-02-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Excuse me, but you don't own a license to anything! You posses a EULA that permits you to use a Microsoft product for an infinite period of time on one computer or system device, unless you have a multiple site license. Microsoft retains all rights to the Microsoft products(s) that are installed and functioning on your computer. You cannot install Vista, or any other MS products on multiple platforms, unless you have a multi-site license. Change the motherboard (MOBO) on your machine or the BIOS chipsets and try installing your Vista OS, your install will be blocked as the OS will see this as an attempt to multi-install the same licensed Vista OS version on a different machine. Vista OS does not depend upon the 25 character key code to identify your Vista install. Vista, and previously XP, look for OS code traces that are identifiable in several sub-sets of your computer. There is no practical method to remove these OS install traces without jumping through "hoops of fire"!
You are sooooo right!

M$ wants their followers $$$$$ and as much as they can get away with.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:58 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,586,749 times
Quote:
Are you sure you are not buddies with Steve Gates?

You wish that you can install as many times as you like.

M$ wants yours and most peoples money who are M$ lovers and as much of it as they can get away with.
Ahh..., that would be Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer is the CEO of Microsoft.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Ahh..., that would be Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer is the CEO of Microsoft.
Ooooooops - My mistake - lol!!!

I stand corrected - thanks!

Old 05-02-2008, 04:30 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:

Ive had more devastating hard drive crashes using Linux than I ever had using Windows. Also, just a couple of years ago, if you were to shut off your PC without shutting down Linux properly, you would many times have to wipe the drive and re-install the OS. Maybe they have fixed that by now, but file system corruption was a HUGE problem on Linux (Fedora Core 4). Linux fanboys need to be careful what they wish for. Linux on every PC will only bring many of the so called "problems" with Windows over to Linux.

Face it, Linux is for geeks who like to spend a lot of time messing with their computers. They love things like fiddling in the command prompt, or compiling their software to install it, which would scare the average user away. They are advanced enough so they don't need or want the plug and play capabilities Windows users depend on. Windows and Mac are for people who want to just get stuff done as quickly and as efficiently as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers