Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 07:51 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,485,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Yes, both can be used at once with no issues. Malwarebytes looks for slightly different malware, compared to straight up viruses.
There's a big BUT in there. You should not use two different real-time AVs. They will conflict with each other and seriously slow your system down. You can have a regular AV, i.e. Defender and use Malwarebytes as an on-demand scanner.

By the way, I recently installed Malwarebytes on a system and their "free" version will not clean anything. It will detect it but not clean it. They do offer the free trial though but that lasts only 14 days and defaults to real-time. You should disable that part. That's a major change to this product which has been used by many for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 05:49 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,559,163 times
Quote:
Yes, it works fine. That's the only one I use at present, along with free Malwarebytes.
Same here.

Old 10-07-2020, 09:03 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,022,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
There's a big BUT in there. You should not use two different real-time AVs. They will conflict with each other and seriously slow your system down. You can have a regular AV, i.e. Defender and use Malwarebytes as an on-demand scanner.

By the way, I recently installed Malwarebytes on a system and their "free" version will not clean anything. It will detect it but not clean it. They do offer the free trial though but that lasts only 14 days and defaults to real-time. You should disable that part. That's a major change to this product which has been used by many for years.

Absolutely untrue. It finds and cleans just fine on my system. I only use the free version, and I use it as on-demand.

Old 10-08-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Absolutely untrue. It finds and cleans just fine on my system. I only use the free version, and I use it as on-demand.
In my case it is true. I just realized that if you run it on a business machine (domain) it will automatically install the business version which requires an upgrade to remove anything. It will only detect, not remove. This is a new thing. In the past it has always worked regardless. This applies to new installs apparently.

Quote from the company
Quote:
Malwarebytes’ Free product is not licensed for threat removal on business devices. Malwarebytes looks at criteria common to machines in business environments to determine whether the machine is part of a business environment.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:15 AM

50,874 posts, read 24,384,032 times
I use Defender plus a subscription to Malwarebytes and have been problem free...for the first time in my technological life.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:42 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,696,597 times
Quote:

Of course this is satisfactory to you, but I wouldn't want others to get the wrong idea about MB. There may be compatibility issues when running any two security programs together, but there are also ways to combat this.

You can exclude certain files to prevent problems like slowing or freezing, and the MB forums will show you how to do this. I've used MB since that antivirus software hit the market, and always alongside another program. In the past, MB recommended that you run an antivirus program that detected threat signatures, and I currently run Avira after having used many others over the past 12 years. However, MB 3 Premium has enough layers of protection to stand alone, so another antivirus program is unnecessary.

Last edited by JustPassinThru; 10-08-2020 at 01:58 PM..

Old 10-08-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post

Of course this is satisfactory to you, but I wouldn't want others to get the wrong idea about MB. There may be compatibility issues when running any two security programs together, but there are also ways to combat this.
Why combat anything? Use one real time and the other on-demand. I've always used MB this way for over a decade or longer. It's always been the best at cleaning up a very infected system although I haven't seen a system like this since I worked as a freelance tech making housecalls.

Better yet, if you are going to pay for anything, pay for MB and use it real time. The issue is that MB has always been great at scanning on-demand but has yet to prove itself as a capable real time scanner. That may change.

How to Run Malwarebytes Alongside Another Antivirus
https://www.howtogeek.com/230158/how...her-antivirus/

I happen to use Kaspersky here at work on many PCs. It's very capable and have been using it this way for almost 10 years now. The good thing about this setup is that it comes with tools that are very useful in managing multiple PCs. This is not the consumer or home version of their product.

Old 10-08-2020, 02:14 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,696,597 times
Quote:
Why combat anything? Use one real time and the other on-demand. I've always used MB this way for over a decade or longer. It's always been the best at cleaning up a very infected system although I haven't seen a system like this since I worked as a freelance tech making housecalls.

Better yet, if you are going to pay for anything, pay for MB and use it real time. The issue is that MB has always been great at scanning on-demand but has yet to prove itself as a capable real time scanner. That may change.

How to Run Malwarebytes Alongside Another Antivirus
https://www.howtogeek.com/230158/how...her-antivirus/

I happen to use Kaspersky here at work on many PCs. It's very capable and have been using it this way for almost 10 years now. The good thing about this setup is that it comes with tools that are very useful in managing multiple PCs. This is not the consumer or home version of their product.
I don't have to pay for MB 3 Premium because I was one of MBs original customers. I was allowed to use the software on 3 devices, but that has changed recently because of users selling licenses. Now the license is for one device only.

If you trust MB to remove malware, why not trust it to prevent infections before any harm is done to your machine? This is certainly a matter of personal choice, but MB is built to run alongside another program or to stand alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers