Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which DIY PC motherboard brand do you prefer?
Asus 4 36.36%
MSI 2 18.18%
Gigabyte 1 9.09%
ASRock 0 0%
ECS 0 0%
Biostar 1 9.09%
Other (specify) 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 06:30 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,346,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
That case seems to have triple fan pre-installed in the front end which will prevent any optical drives to be installed. Perhaps you decided cough up another $20 and get an external optical drive?
If you really like pink that much, you could spray paint the case before installing any of the components in it.

I had done this way back when the PC cases always came with that boring beige color. I grabbed a neon orange spray can, scrub the case a bit then cleaned with alcohol and sprayed it.
It came out really nice. I placed a handle for easy carrying, also cut out circular holes on the side panel and installed fans, etc.
People at the LAN Gaming party were all freaking out (this was back in the late 90s, early 2000s).
Coincidence or not but within a few years, PC case with very similar modifications started to appear in the retail shops..

The attached image is the initial version which had just the paint.
I'm going to forgo the optical drive since I rarely use it anymore. I will include it with my old build.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 08:57 PM

A little change for the CPU cooler, instead of the Hyper 212 Black RGB, I will use the Hyper 212 Halo Black. Amazon was selling it cheaper than what B&H was charging for the Hyper 212 Black RGB.

Old 01-10-2024, 08:48 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times
Noctua is my fan of choice. Love em.

Old 01-10-2024, 10:10 AM

Another change to the spec, I am adding two Cooler Master MF120 Halo ARGB fans to the top of the case. It was recommended with some of the reviews for my MSI case to add top exhaust fans to improve airflow.

Old 01-10-2024, 11:50 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,459,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Noctua is my fan of choice. Love em.
x2.

I had to use one in a very slim case with a slight overheating problem (due to restricted space and overclocking). Low profile Noctua fan fit the case nicely where most others would not work and it also eliminated the overheating issue.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 01-10-2024 at 12:13 PM..

Old 01-11-2024, 06:04 AM

UPDATE:

I just started my build, and I had trouble installing the secondary SATA SSD (1TB SK Hynix Gold S31). So as a result, I will exchange the 1TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 NVMe Gen4 SSD for a 2TB model and will include the SATA SSD with my old system alongside the 1TB SK Hynix Gold P31 NVMe Gen3 SSD.

Old 01-11-2024, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
UPDATE:

I just started my build, and I had trouble installing the secondary SATA SSD (1TB SK Hynix Gold S31).
You don't want to share the details so someone might offer you help?
What was the "trouble"?

Old 01-11-2024, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
You don't want to share the details so someone might offer you help?
What was the "trouble"?
The case appeared to be missing a part to mount a SATA SSD on the side. Also I had to remove the HDD caddy, since my PSU would not fit with it installed.

My build is almost complete. Just waiting for the 2TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 Gen4 NVMe SSD and a PWM fan splitter cable. Hope all goes well when I boot it up.

Old 01-11-2024, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
The case appeared to be missing a part to mount a SATA SSD on the side. Also I had to remove the HDD caddy, since my PSU would not fit with it installed.
I see.

Quote:
My build is almost complete. Just waiting for the 2TB SK Hynix Platinum P41 Gen4 NVMe SSD and a PWM fan splitter cable. Hope all goes well when I boot it up.
Even though I know what I am doing, I still set up all the core components to see if I get a successful P.O.S.T. before I spend the time installing all the components inside and do all the wiring, lights, etc.
If something is wrong, how would you know what it is? Besides, you still have to remove everything out of the case anyway so wise installer would do this:

- Wear an ESD band if you do not know how to ground yourself first
- Open the new motherboard case, take the motherboard with the ESD bag that it comes in out
- Close the motherboard box back up
- Take the motherboard out of the ESD bag, place the bag on the mobo case
- Then place the new mobo on top of the ESD bag
- Install the new RAM
- Install the CPU on the mobo (make sure there is a thing layer of thermal paste on the CPU (be sure to not smear it over the edges)
- Install CPU heatsink, connect its power cable to the applicable connector on the mobo
- If using an add-on Video card, install it as well (optional if there is onboard video)
- Place the PSU near this setup and plug in the 24-pin power connector to the mobo
- If an add-on video card will be used, make sure if it requires additional power from PSU, connect those
- Now you can connect the PSU to the wall outlet

At this point the only other two things needed is 1 input (just keyboard is enough) and 1 output (monitor)
Connect those two as well and try turning on the motherboard by shorting the Power SW pins on the motherboard using a small flathead screw driver or metal paperclip.
Best to check the manual, but they are usually the 3rd and the 4th ones from left of the top row. (see screenshot)

If you cannot even get this barebone system to turn on, then you just save yourself the headache of spending all the time installing it in the case, making all the other connections, RBG lights, etc.
If it fired up, then you got it right and installing it in the case will not require too much extra work.
All you have to do it is to remove and reinstall the following:
- Keyboard
- Monitor/video cable
- PSU 24-pin connector
- Add-on video card (if applicable)

None of the above is where people typically screw up anyhow as those things are fairly straightforward connections.

Either way, good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
About to do my next desktop build-gigabyte-mobo.jpeg  

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 01-11-2024 at 07:55 PM..

Old 01-11-2024, 09:10 PM

Ok, I just did a test, and I initially got a red CPU light. I fixed it since the PSU power cable was loose and the RAM was not properly seated (strange that the CPU light would turn on for RAM). After booting, it said that the RAM was not in optimized slots, so I moved it from Slots 1 and 3 to 2 and 4 and that cleared the warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers