Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:39 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,672,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Why are the vista supporters so hung up on the 1990's ..... there isn't a damn thing that a new laser printer can do that this one doesn't.

Oh, and my truck is a 97, runs fine, very reliable, and it's paid for, and I don't give a damn what anyone thinks about the fact my truck is 12 years old.
I agree. I have a scanner that can scan a photo at 1200 dpi with 24 bit color depth. Unfortunately, when I got it, the drivers were compatible with either Windows 3.1 or Windows 95. I haven't used it for a while now, but see no reason to buy a new scanner when this one works fine and is capable of scanning anything I am likely to use.

While I'm at it, I may as well confess. My car is 8 years old. I bought it two years ago when the 12 year old car with 140K on it needed $1000 worth of work; otherwise, I'd still drive the 14 year old car. It's all I need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 10:24 AM

215 posts, read 607,230 times
My car is a 1991, I've got you both beat there!

But on the issue of computers. I'm a geek and I WILL update my PCs, note the 'S', every couple of months. Once you build your first computer it's addicting and you want to build another one.

Another thing I hate is companies like Dell, HP, etc only installing the minimum requirements to run their systems. I mean, 1gb of RAM for Vista?! Are you ****ing serious. On top of that all that bloatware they install on it as well. -_-

Old 04-28-2009, 11:37 AM

526 posts, read 1,058,572 times
Quote:

Oh, and my truck is a 97, runs fine, very reliable, and it's paid for, and I don't give a damn what anyone thinks about the fact my truck is 12 years old.
because your car is immune to virus's and isnt connected to internet..
sure you can upgrade from stock, but up to a certain point just like computers, you can upgrade a 32bit system but it has a cap, as well as your car has a cap on how fast it can go, and its fuel efficiency.
same goes to computers you can improve speed and performamnce but its marginal compared to buying something that is new.
the only thing that comes close to comparing cars and computers is if you use an anology like this:
computers get viruses by not using antivirus or locking your system down
your car can be sabotaged as well if you dont lock your doors i can take ur stereo,cd's extra wheel, lock your gastank and i put sugar in it, then its a virus to your car.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:00 PM

Computers still get viruses even using anti-virus software. I admit I only use my anti-virus software when I visit pirating sites, etc. But now on my new computer I don't even notice it's on so it's on all the time. Gotta love 8gb of RAM.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
Computers still get viruses even using anti-virus software. I admit I only use my anti-virus software when I visit pirating sites, etc. But now on my new computer I don't even notice it's on so it's on all the time. Gotta love 8gb of RAM.
which here is another thing
u can have an alarm on ur car but i can still break in just like a pc....

Old 04-28-2009, 02:06 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
comparing cars to computers is well, like comparing apples to oranges. The computer industry does not stop for those using old tech. It moves faster than any other industry in development. In order to take use of newer programs, you must use newer hardware and vise versa. No one is telling you, you must move into the newer stuffs, but for those of us that do, and need to (that work in industries that need to follow tech.) we will. No tech. company will stay in one place for the people that want to move at a snails pace, it is bad for business.
Oh please tell me what the newer, and resource hog vista can do for me that XP can't, except nag me, but that is not a benefit.

Oh please tell me what I can haul in a 2009 pickup that I can't haul in my 97 pickup. (except a payment book good for 5 - 7 years)

Oh please tell me what I can print on a new b/w laser that I can't print on my 90 something era HP laserjet.

It is a perfectly good analogy for those that are looking for function and not glitz or to impress the neighbors. But if your life revolves around impressing the neighbors, well........ knock yourself out. I'll spend my money for some good locally brewed ale's.

And who is to say that Vista is an advancement? SATA II drives are an advancement over PATA, and someday solid state drives will become a reality, USB 3.0 is coming, those are advancements. Vista is 'pretty' bloatware, but it is not advancement, save for the bottom line of M$.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:19 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justalicious6989 View Post
where do u live that u have over 30 hours in a day? clearly i want that world too!
No, you don't. He still only gets paid for 8 hours a day.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asheville native View Post
oh please tell me what the newer, and resource hog vista can do for me that xp can't, except nag me, but that is not a benefit.

Oh please tell me what i can haul in a 2009 pickup that i can't haul in my 97 pickup. (except a payment book good for 5 - 7 years)

oh please tell me what i can print on a new b/w laser that i can't print on my 90 something era hp laserjet.

It is a perfectly good analogy for those that are looking for function and not glitz or to impress the neighbors. But if your life revolves around impressing the neighbors, well........ Knock yourself out. I'll spend my money for some good locally brewed ale's.

And who is to say that vista is an advancement? Sata ii drives are an advancement over pata, and someday solid state drives will become a reality, usb 3.0 is coming, those are advancements. Vista is 'pretty' bloatware, but it is not advancement, save for the bottom line of m$.
clearly you just do not like change,
i mean do you moan about everything that changes.
I mean do you whine with every second of time that passes since its a change into the future???
Technology is advancement hit or miss so you dont like vista who gives a rats ass i dont like xp maybe i should call it bloatware since idiots like you did in 2001.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
And who is to say that Vista is an advancement? SATA II drives are an advancement over PATA, and someday solid state drives will become a reality, USB 3.0 is coming, those are advancements. Vista is 'pretty' bloatware, but it is not advancement, save for the bottom line of M$.
SATA II is dying, at least for me.

SSD are already out now, just cost to much right now since it's new.

USB 3.0 is awesome when it gets here.

Vista is not bloatware if you know how to use it and tweak it. Do you have less than 4gb of RAM? Vista is only horrible because it's practically useless unles syou got 4gb or more of RAM. I slipstreamed my Vista Ultimate x64 disc and took it from 3.8gb or something down to 800mb and it still works fine for me XD.

Windows 7 will be a HUGE improvement over Vista. I've been testing it since the first public build 7000, its wonderful. It's got everything XP is good for, the Vista parts that were good and it has a better memory management system. Overall, they should of skipped Vista and came out with Windows 7 first.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
SATA II is dying, at least for me.

SSD are already out now, just cost to much right now since it's new.

USB 3.0 is awesome when it gets here.

Vista is not bloatware if you know how to use it and tweak it. Do you have less than 4gb of RAM? Vista is only horrible because it's practically useless unles syou got 4gb or more of RAM. I slipstreamed my Vista Ultimate x64 disc and took it from 3.8gb or something down to 800mb and it still works fine for me XD.

Windows 7 will be a HUGE improvement over Vista. I've been testing it since the first public build 7000, its wonderful. It's got everything XP is good for, the Vista parts that were good and it has a better memory management system. Overall, they should of skipped Vista and came out with Windows 7 first.
clearly 7 is great...
but vista is an improvement over xp; speed wise maybe not depending on the specs but usability;stability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers