U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-06-2011, 09:27 PM
 
28,627 posts, read 40,609,166 times
Reputation: 37303

Advertisements

Uh, hello....

The post you just replied to was written in February of 2007. That would be 4 1/2 years ago. I'm thinking the OP has probably found a computer by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2011, 10:56 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,032 times
Reputation: 10
Hello everyone,
I'm thinking about ordering the new MacBook Pro from E-bay, but I'm a bit unsure, as I don't understand how can the guy sell brand new Apple Macbook Pro 15 2.2GHz Hi Res Antiglare 8GB 750GB Driv, for $2100 total (there is no tax on e-bay), when the same costs in Apple Store total with tax $2500?

The guy has approx. 1500 ratings, average 98% positive and good reviews.
I guess I should be safe, but still, somebody with more experience, is it ok to buy from this guy?

Tnx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
494 posts, read 1,467,590 times
Reputation: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Style!25 View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm thinking about ordering the new MacBook Pro from E-bay, but I'm a bit unsure, as I don't understand how can the guy sell brand new Apple Macbook Pro 15 2.2GHz Hi Res Antiglare 8GB 750GB Driv, for $2100 total (there is no tax on e-bay), when the same costs in Apple Store total with tax $2500?

The guy has approx. 1500 ratings, average 98% positive and good reviews.
I guess I should be safe, but still, somebody with more experience, is it ok to buy from this guy?

Tnx!
If I were me, I'd buy it from apple since the prices aren't that too far apart. At least with apple, you are guaranteed to get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 11:36 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,032 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
If I were me, I'd buy it from apple since the prices aren't that too far apart. At least with apple, you are guaranteed to get it.
Well the difference is 20%, that's not something to throw away.
Anyway, I've ordered it couple of minutes ago. Hopefully everything will be fine.
If not, I can solve it through Paypal or E-bay dispute or Credit Card company, I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2011, 07:48 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
11,733 posts, read 11,311,179 times
Reputation: 7705
98% on feedback is considered pretty lousy by most people. If you've never tried to resolve something through PayPal you don't know how frustrating it can be. The tax situation is actually that the seller is supposed to charge sales tax for sales made in a state where the seller has a physical presence. Otherwise, no tax is due.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2011, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Northeast NE
696 posts, read 1,519,049 times
Reputation: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
98% on feedback is considered pretty lousy by most people. If you've never tried to resolve something through PayPal you don't know how frustrating it can be. The tax situation is actually that the seller is supposed to charge sales tax for sales made in a state where the seller has a physical presence. Otherwise, no tax is due.

The seller only has to charge tax in the states they have physical locations but in many states the buyer is suppose to pay the taxes if not charged by the seller. In Nebraska it is called a use tax.

Of course few or no one pays this and there is no way to enforce it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2011, 05:43 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,385 posts, read 10,845,994 times
Reputation: 5589
Quote:
Originally Posted by southseeker View Post
If I were me
I hope so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 07:47 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
11,733 posts, read 11,311,179 times
Reputation: 7705
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpaul View Post
Hey John,
This is Alex. My opinion is that there are so many sites for purchase a desktop computers in internet. In internet use google search engine than search the "latest desktop computers". You have got a result that more helpful for you. Before buy a computer, compare a price list in that website. Now a days, most of users are used a latest brand Dell, Acer, HP and Toshiba so on. Good luck!
John posted his question on 2-23-2007. I'm willing to bet he's no looking for an answer any longer (although he may need another new PC by now). Most of us recommend that people shop newegg.com or tigerdirect.com and stay away from Best Buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 07:58 AM
 
10,753 posts, read 18,010,478 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
John posted his question on 2-23-2007. I'm willing to bet he's no looking for an answer any longer (although he may need another new PC by now). Most of us recommend that people shop newegg.com or tigerdirect.com and stay away from Best Buy.
I suspect alex will provide us with some spam before too long, his second post makes mention of his new battery business but I didn't report it as no link was included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-23-2011, 09:48 AM
 
Location: WV and Eastport, ME
11,733 posts, read 11,311,179 times
Reputation: 7705
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
I suspect alex will provide us with some spam before too long, his second post makes mention of his new battery business but I didn't report it as no link was included.
Same here. I suggested a reference to the TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:46 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top