Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:33 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,650 times

Advertisements

I wish i could buy a computer! I have tons of broken customer ones here, that arent really broken. I figure i have enough computers for my kids kids. But yes, maybe one day ill buy a new one! I need to have a 'if it isn't dual core its out' cleaning house party one day, but damn ubuntu will run on anything. Ive actually spec'ed the cheapest esxi server that will fit my needs so I may actually buy a new computer, at least in parts. Dell/HP/whaterver works fine for the masses and gets me new customers so i dont have any problem with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 03:38 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceE View Post
Consumers can build laptops and netbooks if they wanted to. My next build will probably be a new notebook instead of a desktop pc.
Can I get some Newegg links to standardized components I can use to assemble my own laptop?

Old 04-28-2009, 04:08 PM

215 posts, read 607,306 times
There aren't any standardized components. The only hard part to build is the case itself, as I haven't seen any store sell em yet, but for hardware, just select the Laptop portion when searching for hardware.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:32 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,650 times
time=money nothing more nothing less. I buy dell servers. why? Because i cant build a supermicro one? No. Because dell does it for less and has a formula that seems to work as i have no problem with them. So i will continue to buy them. I know at one time alienware laptops were homebrew of some sort, so at least you could buy the parts. Does it make sense with what they cost now? no way no how. A computer is just a tool nowadays, like a hammer, and just as disposable.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
There aren't any standardized components. The only hard part to build is the case itself, as I haven't seen any store sell em yet, but for hardware, just select the Laptop portion when searching for hardware.
It don't really call it "building your own" laptop when the chasis, motherboard, and display and optical drive are all proprietary. At best you can get come config-to-order deal where you can pick a few components from a small list of options.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Nice rant.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:50 PM

215 posts, read 607,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
time=money nothing more nothing less. I buy dell servers. why? Because i cant build a supermicro one? No. Because dell does it for less and has a formula that seems to work as i have no problem with them. So i will continue to buy them. I know at one time alienware laptops were homebrew of some sort, so at least you could buy the parts. Does it make sense with what they cost now? no way no how. A computer is just a tool nowadays, like a hammer, and just as disposable.
Don't talk like that around my computer, she can hear you know -_-

Computers are a tool yes, but they're much more to me. I'll probably never get married so this is all I got and I like to spoil her with all the new technology

Old 04-28-2009, 07:38 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
I say we boycott all pre-built computer companies like Dell, HP, etc. This has been on my mind forever now and I'm just sick of it.

Microsoft claims Vista will run on 512mb of RAM and such, but are you ****ing serious. I've went out and bought Vista Ultimate x64 just to prove that you can't do **** on 512mb of RAM. I installed Vista on an older PC that had 512mb of RAM and it ran literally slower than my ****ing Windows 98 crap PC. I then installed 1gb of RAM and tried it out. A little faster, but still it's crap. I've come to the conclusion that you need at least 2gb of RAM to actually do anythign productive on Vista.

Now, about these so called computer companies. Why the **** do you even install Vista on a 1gb of RAM system and on top of that install all that bloatware crap. No one uses ****en Norton or AOL anymore as they're crap and if you do use them, you're asking to be hacked. I would so love it if they could ****en get a brain and put at least 2gb or more of RAM in their systems and get rid of some of the bloatware they install. People literally spend an hour or more uninstalling that crap when they buy the computer because it's so slow -_-. It drives me ****ing crazy.

Anyone with half a brain can build their own computer. For example, I built my current computer for $1200 and it would of literally cost me about $200 or more if I had bought it from a company like HP or Dell. That's because when you buy the parts themselves you can look for deals and get more for your money.

Now, I've talked to both Dell and HP on their live chat systems and have cursed them out for providing crap hardware, crap bloatware installation, etc, etc, etc. I need more people to help me do it. Just harass the **** out of them and maybe they'll get it through their thick skulls, not brains, but skull.

Now, here's my current computer just for the hell of it.

Intel C2D E8400 @ 3ghz Overclocked to 4.16ghz
G.Skill DDR2 1333 4x 2gb of RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX260 Core 216 896mb Graphics
ASUS P5Q SE PLUS x58 ATX Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb 7200rpm 32mb cache x1
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 32mb cache 750gb x1
Western Digital Elements 500gb 7200rpm external x1
Antec 300 Black Steel Case

Join the PC Revolution!
With all the money you saved, you can buy a good thesaurus to improve your vocabulary by finding a different word than ****.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:37 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,148,392 times
Quote:
I haven't bought a pre-built computer in years and I'm just trying to get more people on board. I mean ANYONE with half a brain can build a computer, so why don't they -_-
Because there are people out there who simply don't have the technical comprehension to build one on their own.

Ask a 70 year old who is getting his first computer if he would know how to build his own.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Because there are people out there who simply don't have the technical comprehension to build one on their own.

Ask a 70 year old who is getting his first computer if he would know how to build his own.
True. To 90% of the computer using public, a PC may as well be a complex as an aircraft carrier. I can't imagine someone who can barely enter a simple URL into their browser's address bar building a PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers