Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Ya know, if Earl hits land in New England, people will say I told you so! If it veers to the right (east) and misses (or slightly touches) New England, people will say, I told you so! No matter how this plays out, there is going to be some smug attitudes come Saturday.

But, I need to ask: what different scenario would make this a greater danger? El Nino brought some very whacky weather to the US this year: there were tornados in states that generally do not see tornados; a decent amount of snow fell in states that normally only see trace amounts to a a few inches a year; it has been hotter for most of the country for most of the summer. I don't know about CT, but Boston has been stupid hot this summer.

This heat doesn't stop at the shore, it extends into the ocean, which will cause more evaporation of sea water that has the potential to fuel Earl. If this was normal year (i.e., non-El Nino) with normal weather, Earl more than likely would lose juice near North Carolina and fizzle out as it follows the Gulf Stream; being too weak to deviate from the currents grip. The excess heat in the Northeast and New England, and the warmer coastal waters, could be enough to allow Earl to continue on a path close to land.

But, I digress. Current maps show that only a sliver of the eastern tip of CT is in the red zone.
This hurricane season isnt over..what follows could be very interesting for New England,....but Earl..well...not the one except for the Outer Banks and MAYBE..the Cape..and for them just trop storm winds. Not much rain as it'll be booking. Like I said "out to sea" and yes.. as I've been saying it all along..hype , hype hype! Lets make a mountain out of a molehill (albeit a very large and dangerous molehill)

Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
This hurricane season isnt over..what follows could be very interesting for New England,....but Earl..well...not the one except for the Outer Banks and MAYBE..the Cape..and for them just trop storm winds. Not much rain as it'll be booking. Like I said "out to sea" and yes.. as I've been saying it all along..hype , hype hype! Lets make a mountain out of a molehill (albeit a very large and dangerous molehill)
I do agree that the extra warm ocean water this year could make a hurricane that does get to the Northeast stronger.....

Note though that all of LI Sound has a Tropical Storm Warning (which means TS conditions almost certain there), so while I wouldn't call this a "batten down the hatches and pray" situation, for this part of the country it's still something noteworthy.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:59 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I do agree that the extra warm ocean water this year could make a hurricane that does get to the Northeast stronger.....

Note though that all of LI Sound has a Tropical Storm Warning (which means TS conditions almost certain there), so while I wouldn't call this a "batten down the hatches and pray" situation, for this part of the country it's still something noteworthy.
It'll be the same weather as a typical noreaster...MAYBE

Old 09-02-2010, 09:48 AM

59 posts, read 100,075 times
Current forecasts have 70-100mph winds out on the cape so were going Saturday instead. We don't know how strong the cottage we rented is.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:55 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
yeah it would've but then there is a different mentality too (for most people anyway). You help your neighbor not loot them. and you don't rely on the govt (local, state or fed) to save the day.
So to be consistent, you don't rely on the government for emergency services such as police, fire and ambulance services? You fend for yourself if your house catches on fire and your neighbors assist with their garden hoses?

Really? This is what you believe? Or is this just what you believe for poor, mostly African American folks in Louisiana?

Seems to be this is exactly where the government should step in. The fact is the government response was inept and tragic...

Old 09-02-2010, 10:07 AM

Are there any weathermen on the boards who can advise when it would be safe for us to go up to Cape Cod? We are thinking Saturday morning.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:26 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
The problem with advice on the weather in the midst of an active hurricane heading in our direction:

What if the hurricane is over, but the area you're going to lost power the day before? What if there was damage? Sure, you won't be stuck IN the hurricane. But you might be stuck dealing with a vacation cottage with no electricity, and backed-up toilets, and a flooded yard.

There's really no way to know for sure that close in time.

As it looks now, Earl won't really be affecting Connecticut other than just some heavy rains and a couple of wind gusts. But that could change minute by minute, and you really won't know fur absolue sure how it will affect any place that doesn't take a direct hit.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:28 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,538 times
Saturday morning you should be find. Will be breezy but wind will be from a westerly direction, which is good. Looks to be a nice sunny weekend with winds diminishing Saturday through Sunday and monday. Earl will rapidly scoot off into the Canadian maratimes late Friday night. Tomorroow afternoon may get sloppy on the cape especially from Chatham north.

nantucket looks like it will see the worst of it, especially the eastern shore.

You're making a wise move waiting till Sat morning.

Old 09-02-2010, 10:31 AM

Thanks for your two cents Anonchick. We are in contact with the owner of the house who is from CT so at worst we spend the weekend home. Already got a credit for Friday. Hoping everything will be OK Sat-Tues. Much needed vacation!!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:55 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So to be consistent, you don't rely on the government for emergency services such as police, fire and ambulance services? You fend for yourself if your house catches on fire and your neighbors assist with their garden hoses?

Really? This is what you believe? Or is this just what you believe for poor, mostly African American folks in Louisiana?

Seems to be this is exactly where the government should step in. The fact is the government response was inept and tragic...
Here is where your mindset falls apart IMHO. Yes I will rely on a firefighter to put the fire out...but I do not rely on the government to then house and feed me afterwards, nor would I want them too.

As for the hurricane, it's hardly akin to a house fire that affects one maybe two houses on the block vs an entire city destroyed and in chaos. I for one would not be sitting in a "dome" waiting for the feds to come rescue me. Hell no. I don't care if I had to use a piece of plywood and towed my family through the water and we walked 20 miles to get out of there, we would. Period.

In the process, if I came upon an older person who could not help themsevles, I would put them on the makeshift boat with my family and get them to safety as well. That's what FBAM means by not relying on the government to do it for us...not police and fire services.

To label him as not caring abour poor and black people is just more left wing bomb throwing garbage. Keep it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut