Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 05:32 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I always drive 10 mph over the posted limit, even if I'm in the left lane and it's pissing someone off behind me. I get flicked off all the time and simply don't care.
Unless you are passing people in the right lane, that's against the law. Regardless of your speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 08:27 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
The major interchanges in Hartford & New Haven need to be completely reworked. I doubt that will ever happen though.
The I-91/I-84 interchange in Hartford was reconstructed severalyears ago so you are probably right about it not eve being changed. I really don't think it is that bad though.

The I-95/I-91/Route 34 interchange in New Haven is being reconstructed as part of the massive Q Bridge project. The left exit for Route 34 on I-95 northbound will be replaced by a right exit to a flyover bridge that is under construction now and should open next year. The left exit to I-91 northbound from I-95 northbound will be replaced in about 5 years. Same goes for the left entrances in that interchange. ConnDOT just received bids on the interchange project which is a massive undertaking and were that bids were WAY under estimates. The down economy has saved them millions. Jay

Old 10-29-2010, 09:27 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
The key is "on the roadway", I think. If you cross the solid line at the edge, you're off the roadway. But everybody does it anyway and CT police don't spend a lot of energy on enforcement of that law.

When I first moved here, I had a hard time with that because the "no passing on the shoulder" law was enforced where I used to live, so it was difficult to get used to doing it routinely without being a little paranoid.
This is true. Some of the lanes are wide enough where you can do it, other times, not. One thing to remember though is that the car turning left ALWAYS has the right of way. Police can enforce this law and are encouraged to especially in suburban/urban areas where there are lots of bikers and joggers. They rarely do though.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:42 PM

428 posts, read 1,174,337 times
This thread is fantastic. Let's have a case study, shall we? ROUTE 2.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:33 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The I-91/I-84 interchange in Hartford was reconstructed severalyears ago so you are probably right about it not eve being changed. I really don't think it is that bad though.

The I-95/I-91/Route 34 interchange in New Haven is being reconstructed as part of the massive Q Bridge project. The left exit for Route 34 on I-95 northbound will be replaced by a right exit to a flyover bridge that is under construction now and should open next year. The left exit to I-91 northbound from I-95 northbound will be replaced in about 5 years. Same goes for the left entrances in that interchange. ConnDOT just received bids on the interchange project which is a massive undertaking and were that bids were WAY under estimates. The down economy has saved them millions. Jay
If you are traveling i-91 north the i-84 interchange is decent. Altho i-84 east ramp backs up everyday - it could be worse.

i-91 south really needs to be reworked. I'm not sure that is possible due to the space limits there. Essentially, i-91 south goes from 4 lanes to 2 lanes thru Hartford in the vicinity of the Phoenix insurance building. No one thought that thru at all. Again its as if the designers designed the highway 100 feet at a time. Then they looked up and said "we need an exit here (on the left and the right) LOL

I'm not as familiar with the New Haven interchanges, but every time I go thru there the ramp to 95 south is backed up.

I do give credit to the Conn DOT for the improvements on i-91 north. That used to be a nightmare with only 2 lanes all the way to Mass. That is one project Conn DOT nearly got 100% correct the first time.

Old 10-30-2010, 04:59 PM

293 posts, read 782,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I'm not as familiar with the New Haven interchanges, but every time I go thru there the ramp to 95 south is backed up.

I always avoid 95 like the plague, traffic is so congested. Much prefer the Merritt Pkwy where there's no commercial vehicles to deal with. Traffic is so much more pleasant

Old 10-30-2010, 05:19 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger... many Calif drivers do it as well. It's beyond annoying.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:25 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Left lane campers exist in every state. Trust me I know, I get lucky and get behind them all the time. And it's typically older people, almost always in fact.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:38 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Actually most of the bad drivers I notice in this state have either Massachusetts or New York plates. Was out today and saw this a number of times and thought about this thread. Jay

Old 10-30-2010, 10:42 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Actually most of the bad drivers I notice in this state have either Massachusetts or New York plates. Was out today and saw this a number of times and thought about this thread. Jay
Perhaps subconsciously you already had your mind made up that NY and MA drivers are awful, and when you see them driving badly, you automatically come to the above conclusion. Psychology at its best.

I can't get over how some people on this forum consistently give the benefit of the doubt to CT, and anything that has to do with CT, even if it were to smack them in the face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut