Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:15 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
This is really sickening. I third KH02's comment, only reason why I'm here is because of my family.
Same here lol. In short, the only reason I'm here is because of family, but the two main reasons I don't want to be here are (1) it's very expensive and (2) it's too cold for too long. But now I've only held my current job for 10 months, so that's another reason I'm stuck here. I don't want to appear unstable to employers. Oh, and I'm stuck on a lease for 8 more months, in which it would cost $3,135 to break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 06:24 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
This is surreal. As per the usual, it will fall on the middle class, a mistake that goes back to Weicker's non use of a piggyback tax, which is far more progressive.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:25 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,140,532 times
This state is lucky that my g/f lives here and I like my job. Or else I would high tale it out of here. I cant believe they are actually going to do this, yet again. Like this state is taxed enough already.

All this will do is hurt the middle class, as usual. The Unions and government workers wont feel much, nor will those in Fairfield County, or at least not most as most are very wealthy.

To raise taxes on those making over 50k/single 100k/married is uncalled for. As if that is suppose to be "rich" in this state. 50k is nothing in this state.

So this governor is telling us that he ran out of things to cut so the only thing to do to "help" our state is to raise the taxes of the middle class?! Bull. Grade schoolers could do a better job with the state budget and find more things that can be cut. Start with entitlement spending and government salaries.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:48 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,725,125 times
I hope Malloy enjoys being a one-term governor. Because if he raises gas taxes, salary taxes, estate taxes, eliminates property tax credits, gets rid of tax-free week, and taxes everything but the air, that's exactly what he will be. And I love how he says he's trying to promote a business-friendly environment. Really? And how's that?

Boy, it's a good thing for this state that the Supreme Court legalized sodomy.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:01 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,806,877 times
This is sad. Unfortunately the federal budget is more of the same. Not good.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:38 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,955,893 times
I'm sure this horrible legislature that we have will only be too happy to pass all of this, and then some. And forget spending cuts. The people who are leeching off the rest of us surely "need" the money more than the people who actually work for it.

It would be nice if this woke voters un this state up to the evils of ever-expanding parasitic govern,ent, but that's probably too much to hope for.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:00 PM

327 posts, read 1,119,794 times
I had an idea that he was going to be a tax and spend guy. That's why I voted for Folley. Not that I was kidding myself because the state of CT has always been to tax vs cut spending. The best though is the, "$25 million a year would be spent on tourism".

I do like the "idea of plan to give cities and towns a small cut of sales tax revenue". For us in Milford we would finally get whats due since we send more money to Hartford than what we get back. But I am skeptical since what exactly are they giving back as a share? The actual .25% that he is increasing in Sales Tax. BFD!!!

Oh and same here. Born here and have most of my family here as well. I work from home and my wife goes into the office. I am not sure I will retire here as well

Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,419,943 times
Seems most of us dont like these tax hikes. I hope those who voted for these jerks puke when they look in the mirror tonight.
Its easy for us to complain about it, but for some reason its hard for us to vote responsibly.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:36 PM

327 posts, read 1,119,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Seems most of us dont like these tax hikes. I hope those who voted for these jerks puke when they look in the mirror tonight.
Its easy for us to complain about it, but for some reason its hard for us to vote responsibly.
I know, whats up with that? I mean really???

Maybe this will be the last straw... I don't see anyone that will be remotely happy with these increases without serious cuts to begin with.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:37 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,725,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Yeah well, it's easy to say that. It would not have surprised me if Foley hiked taxes if he got elected. The Courant ran an in-depth article prior to the elections, warning that taxes would be raised in 2012 regardless of who got elected. And people forget that when Rell was governor she proposed hiking the state income tax .5% before the recession hit. It is ludicrous to suggest only one party raises taxes. Republican or Democrat, we have no choices anymore - just one shade of grey. And if you think the Tea Party "patriots" are the answer, remember they're the party that believes the earth is 6,000 years old, and that Jesus will appear in their lifetime at an Osmond concert in Branson. Bill Maher was right - this IS a stupid country, and we've got the politicians in every party to prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut