Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 04:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,952,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Christie, like Cuomo, is actually cutting a budget as opposed to adding more job-killing taxes. One does not hear NJ's UTC's or AETNA's calling their environment the most anti-business they have run into. Their CBIA is not up in arms. Given the feelings of those three, any change to CT's jobless streak of 2 decades needs to wait until the post-Malloy period.

PS, In Wisconsin, while labor railed like 6 year olds about Walker, job growth his first month was 10,500.Gov't cost structures, and tax levels do matter if one wants to add jobs.

BTW, cancelling the ARC was WISE. Like most fed projects of its ilk, it transferes massive , recurring maintenance costs onto the states after being built, and like all massive projects (i.e. the Big Dig) you can project its costs as several times its budget.

In short, good govs know 3 words well-Cut Baby, Cut.
NICE if only NY can do that with its bloaded ass while restricting certain funds for transit enhancement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 05:05 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
We've reached our overdraft limit and he wants us to cough up more dough? Small wonder why our cities aren't economic powerhouses.
First off, I have an issue with this. Hartford is a powerhouse, albeit a low key one. Stamford is as well, albeit a bit more bombastic than it realistically is.

You want to go back to manufacturing in the US? Let the dollar slide and change the tax code so companies can no longer get reimbursed for "US" losses while payout "foreign" profits. More locally, if CT wants manufacturing back in a big way, it will have to bribe the way other states have. Taxes were low on the list, free money was near the top. So the middle class doesn't have money for what it needs, but we have enough to give to corporations to try to entice them to stay until that gravy train is out?

I just don't get it.

~Cheers

Old 05-08-2011, 05:20 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
First off, I have an issue with this. Hartford is a powerhouse, albeit a low key one. Stamford is as well, albeit a bit more bombastic than it realistically is.

You want to go back to manufacturing in the US? Let the dollar slide and change the tax code so companies can no longer get reimbursed for "US" losses while payout "foreign" profits. More locally, if CT wants manufacturing back in a big way, it will have to bribe the way other states have. Taxes were low on the list, free money was near the top. So the middle class doesn't have money for what it needs, but we have enough to give to corporations to try to entice them to stay until that gravy train is out?

I just don't get it.

~Cheers
You know, I'm glad your brought this up. Because even though we now know that excessive taxation was responsible for jobs drying up, you're right that corporate welfare (specifically in the form of major tax breaks and little or no regulation) isn't really the answer either. But this is what states have been doing for decades. When the economy was sagging in the late '70s and early '80s, states and municipalities began offering tax incentives to corporations to get them to relocate or to stay put. In 1977, only a handful of states were doing this. By the early '90s, hardly a state was without them. And the reason they did this was because it was believed that this was a way to create jobs (or at least retain them.) But this rarely works. There's a book by Greg LeRoy called No More Candy Store that confirms what you said - that for all the special treatment that companies got they rarely remained true to their word.

PS, re: manufacturing - I hate to say it, but that's soemthing that will NOT be coming back to this state. Not that I don't want it to, I just don't see it happening. There's no incentive to, while in China women give birth on their lunch hour and by that afternoon they're back on the assembly line painting lead onto Barbie dolls.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:19 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
NJ was able to reduce municipalities costs, as many of the public union restrictions from bargaining requirements, also are given to municipalities. That should keep the municipality financial situation at minimum neutral to the pre-Christie era.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Mike, If one works the deals well, incentives work. Nashville was named #1 on Relocation America list 3 times, in top 5 2 other times, over 10 years, with incentive laden deals defining every imaginable criteria, including local job quantity, local median gross pay, length of employment tenure locally, and best of all, over 2/3 the value of ex Gov Bredesens' megadeals were not out of pocket. Most often, it was free, unused for decades land, and short-term tax abatements. Most who study this stuff , intentionally, fail to compute the benefits of the suppliers who follow, and they get squat. Once you get the auto plant, the L-P Inc, or the like, to relocate, the suppliers are hostages who need to come to service the king. So you tax them, with no breaKs of any kind.

However, until the (Ct) crazy closed shop wage scales, feather-bedding work rules, near US high electric rates per kilowatt hour, and outrageous property taxes fall to US standards, there will be no meaningful relos of any corps coming to Ct. Which means Malloy should disband the Economic Development Department, and stop wasting that money.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:34 AM

19 posts, read 35,192 times
Default Shocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post

That is why Bayer AG, Pfizer & Perkin Elmer left. High tech for greener pastures. Perkin Elmer said Waltham MA (outside Boston) was much more economical feasable than Norwalk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 06:02 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
I'm not really following this thread, but this caught my eye. Stamford has the headquarters of some of the largest financial names on Wall Street, you think the city's power is exaggerated? Do explain.

If anything, I think the hedge funds fly under the radar, as most aren't located in downtown.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:39 AM

168 posts, read 275,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm not really following this thread, but this caught my eye. Stamford has the headquarters of some of the largest financial names on Wall Street, you think the city's power is exaggerated? Do explain.

If anything, I think the hedge funds fly under the radar, as most aren't located in downtown.

However Charlotte, NC is 2nd in Financial Sector behind NYC....

Taxes.................

Old 05-09-2011, 06:46 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilfman View Post
And bailout money.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:54 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilfman View Post

Taxes.................
So you're trying to equally compare a city with three quarters of a million people to a city that has 122,000 people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut