Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 05:46 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
When do you think driving will become unsafe due to winds?
7am-12pm give or take

edit.... WOW.. just realize 491 posts in this thread? lol. And its not even here.

Just a reminder if you can... Post your OBS, pics and aftermath if you can. It will help people around us to hear whats happening currently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 05:51 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
7am-12pm give or take

edit.... WOW.. just realize 491 posts in this thread? lol. And its not even here.

Just a reminder if you can... Post your OBS, pics and aftermath if you can. It will help people around us to hear whats happening currently.
Storm is suddenly looking very ragged ..convection is decreasing.....could be interesting to see if it hold hurricane status to NYC...

Old 08-27-2011, 05:57 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post

I doubt it will be that bad in CT. But still, flooding will be an issue. As I previously stated, the ground is already so saturated that flooding is very likely and it will take a while to subside.
I doubt it too, I was saying if the storm continued to move at just 14 mph when it gets up here. Tropical systems almost always "speed up" as they get here. But I think as Cambium just said, "right on schedule", I noticed NHS is giving more frequent updates and at 7pm said it's up to 16mph so I think increased forward motion is starting.......

Old 08-27-2011, 06:00 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,898,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
11 yr old boy becomes 4th victim of irene....died as a result of tree falling onto apt in va
And another got impaled by a tree branch falling on his car.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:02 PM

Tornado Watch in effect

Its just a watch..not a warning. Just means heads up. I love my text alerts.

TORNADO WATCH 812 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 500 AM EDT FOR THE
FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

CT
. CONNECTICUT COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

FAIRFIELD

DE
. DELAWARE COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

SUSSEX

NJ
. NEW JERSEY COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ATLANTIC BERGEN BURLINGTON
CAPE MAY CUMBERLAND ESSEX
HUDSON MIDDLESEX MONMOUTH
OCEAN PASSAIC UNION

NY
. NEW YORK COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

BRONX KINGS NASSAU
NEW YORK QUEENS RICHMOND
ROCKLAND SUFFOLK WESTCHESTER

Old 08-27-2011, 06:09 PM

158 posts, read 371,356 times
I don't know, this RGB sat loop shows the center moving off shore over water again.

Tropical Floater Two RGB Imagery Loop (Flash) - Satellite Services Division/Office of Satellite Data Processing and Distribution

Old 08-27-2011, 06:11 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,022 times
Where you get your texts alert I tried one of them but hardly anything that says much LOL

Old 08-27-2011, 06:13 PM

56 posts, read 172,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Tornado Watch in effect

Its just a watch..not a warning. Just means heads up. I love my text alerts.

TORNADO WATCH 812 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 500 AM EDT FOR THE
FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

CT
. CONNECTICUT COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

FAIRFIELD

DE
. DELAWARE COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

SUSSEX

NJ
. NEW JERSEY COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ATLANTIC BERGEN BURLINGTON
CAPE MAY CUMBERLAND ESSEX
HUDSON MIDDLESEX MONMOUTH
OCEAN PASSAIC UNION

NY
. NEW YORK COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

BRONX KINGS NASSAU
NEW YORK QUEENS RICHMOND
ROCKLAND SUFFOLK WESTCHESTER

How do you sign up to get text messages for the tornado watches. Once power goes out I would like to know what is happening.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
Where you get your texts alert I tried one of them but hardly anything that says much LOL
The details I just posted are with SPC online... The text alert will just have the location I choose.
Storm Prediction Center - Current Convective Watches OR NWS/Storm Prediction Center - Watch, Warning, Advisory Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmary View Post

How do you sign up to get text messages for the tornado watches. Once power goes out I would like to know what is happening.
Text Messaging

Actually Accuweather is an email alert I get on my smartphone. AccuWeather.com Alerts™ Email (http://www.accuweather.com/alerts/index.asp - broken link)

WeatherUSA.net
weatherUSA - Free Weather Alerts for Text Message and E-mail

Old 08-27-2011, 06:43 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Accuweather noted that coincidentally today is the 40th anniversary of a tropical system that I never heard of (mostly because it never became a hurricane though a hurricane force gust occured at Blue Hills near Boston) landfalling on NJ and the boros itself (with almost the exact same path as Irene), Doria:

Tropical Storm Doria (1971) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and speaking of Accuweather, interesting video by Bernie Rayno on why he thinks Irene will neither strengthen nor weaken on the way to NYC and CT. A side note is he says that 950mb is one of the lowest pressures for a Cat 1 storm ever:

http://www.accuweather.com/video/90659509001/irene-near-virginia-beach.asp (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut